• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lubrication of PCP's

First question: Does anyone lubricate the innards of their air guns by squirting a drop of silicone oil in the fill nipple or on the probe before filling the tank? Is there any negatives to this?

Second question: I'm using a compressor (Young Heng) to fill my guns. I noticed spots of the compressor lube in the filter chamber. Can an accumulation of this oil cause an explosion in the Air tank? I'm using the recommended hydraulic oil in the unit.

Any comments are welcome as long as you don't question my family lineage. 

Thanks 

Howard 

I had a sticky fill nipple on my Marauder. Crosman customer service recommended to add a drop of silicone oil to the fill nipple before filling in the hopes that the lubrication would loosen up the valve inside the fill nipple. It didn't work. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I wouldn't do it every fill because one drop at a time can build up in the tank (at least I think it can).

As for the compressor, that's a place where I can't help. Way outside of my expertise.

Trigger components should be kept lubricated over the life of the rifle, as they are a moving part that sees wear. 

Ideally MDS (self lubricating) or similar hammers are used to reduce wear on both hammer / tube.

Bolt / lever action needs lube as its a moving part as well

Fill ports have 'check valves' that move, and benefit from lube every now and again

Breach o-rings have a bolt that moves through them or are on a bolt that moves, and can use lube

All internal o-rings eventually dry out/harden and fail, to preserve them lubrication every 1-2 years is recommended, static o-rings can last near a life time this way..

Internal o-rings may include barrel/thimble/breach/HPA tube/regulator/valve/fill port/gauge blocks and other misc o-rings.

O rings require lubrication for longevity. The correct lube is silicone oil or grease. I use both. Silicone lube is non-reactive. Just what viscosity is best? I have no idea. I use 500 CST oil, but it is available from 20 to 100,000 CST. Please use great caution with this stuff. Nothing dissolves it. There is no known solvent and nothing that has been coated with it will never ever hold paint. Jus sayin!

I've never used lube on trigger parts. I did a lot of high volume shooting of doves and ducks in younger years and never saw any wear on trigger components unlubed. Not enough movement to wear on hardened parts and lube attracts grit. Too much lube can effect resetting of sear/trigger parts and affect function. Silicone oil works well for o-rings/seals. Some swear by Krytox also. If I recall correctly, Jewell recommends no lube on their triggers-some of the best in the business.

O rings require lubrication for longevity. The correct lube is silicone oil or grease. I use both. Silicone lube is non-reactive. Just what viscosity is best? I have no idea. I use 500 CST oil, but it is available from 20 to 100,000 CST. Please use great caution with this stuff. Nothing dissolves it. There is no known solvent and nothing that has been coated with it will never ever hold paint. Jus sayin!

I have some 500k CST and I think there is up to 1m now stuff can be rolled into a ball and bounced it so thick. Some RC car shock oil will last the life of several air guns. 

First off I'd like to say stop filling directly from the Yong Heng!
The design and the rapid fill of the YH compressors make them prone to moisture. The risky dink filter they come with isn't nearly enough to capture the moisture.
Silicone grease isn't a corrosive inhibitor. (Well not a very good one)
Addition of lube while filling should not be necessary as long as all your O-rings are well lubricated.
Good Luck Happy Holidays!
Shoot safe!

First question: Does anyone lubricate the innards of their air guns by squirting a drop of silicone oil in the fill nipple or on the probe before filling the tank? Is there any negatives to this?

Second question: I'm using a compressor (Young Heng) to fill my guns. I noticed spots of the compressor lube in the filter chamber. Can an accumulation of this oil cause an explosion in the Air tank? I'm using the recommended hydraulic oil in the unit.

Any comments are welcome as long as you don't question my family lineage.

Thanks

Howard
30w silicone shock oil every 800 shots on my o rings. A drop or two on my hand pump after every use, since I only use it when I have no power source for my compressor.