Lubing Pellets

I find graphite , and moly both rather messy, due to black color. HBN, hexogonal boron nitride, is a white powder that is far cleaner. I have used it to tumble lube cast bullets, mixed it in oil and grease in high pressure applications.with good results. I don't see where dry lubs are dirty. I learned about the Hornandy one shot cleaner lube on rimfirecentral.com, in refrence to lubing the action of the Ruger 10/22. It makes it slick and being dry does not create a sludge with power residue. Even with nothing in an air gun you are still going to get very fine airborn lead particles, which I should think would be more hazardous than any dry lube.

I haven't noticed any difference in my shooting. I tend to wash and lube with Pledge just so when I handle the pellets my hands aren't black with the molding release agent and lead dust. Makes for a cleaner shoot. I lay out a couple paper towels in an old sheet pan, spray the towel down with the Pledge and dump a tin of pellets on top and roll them around. Not exactly scientific, but seem to keep my hands cleaner when shooting.

Reactions: JimBentley
Years back I lubed some with some spray silicone, I did not notice any paticular change in accuracy, but did notice over a number of years the pellets did not darken as much from oxidation. I would think some type of lube would be good for the barrel, thinking that I always use a bullet lube when shooting cast bullets in my centerfire guns, especially the big black powder cartridges, knowing that there a big part of it's job is to keep black powder residue soft.

I lube my pellets with M-Pro 7 or Hoppe's Elite gun oil, they are both the same made by Pantheon. It prevents leading in my air rifle and rimfire rifle, and helps prevent coppering in my centerfire rifles.

Hornady One Shot is a high pressure wax lube. While mainly made for resizing cases for reloading purposes, Hornady says you can spray your cartridges for better functioning in semi-auto firearms, and it certainly has done that for me. It can vastly increase case life in an FN FAL fired cartridge by preventing head separation by letting the entire case expand evenly in the chamber when firing, thus preventing massive stretching in the head area and preventing head separation. Cases coated with One Shot have far less neck trimming as the case returns to nearly original length as the head webbing area does not get overstretched. Never tried lubing pellets with it, however.

I might try spraying some pellets with One Shot and running them over the chronograph. However, it does increase case life in centerfire cartridges fired from loose chambered rifles.

I use a light application of Slick 50 One Lube on all the pellets I shoot in my field target rifles. After much accuracy testing I can definitely say it improves the accuracy in my guns and cuts down on the lead fouling. My suggestion is to try lubed vs. un-lubed pellets and see what you find as far as accuracy/cleaning in your gun. Good shooting.

Reactions: rayroz
Ballistol, works for me. Wash a tin of pellets (using a kitchen sieve ) with (city water or distilled water). ( Some localities have hard water, some have very hard water,lots of minerals like iron and sulfur), in mild soap,rinse using city or distilled water, lay out pellets,(gently) on a sheet of paper towel,let dry, transfer pellets (gently) to a paper towel saturated with ballistol,let dry. Ballistol, pronounced as if saying ballistic with ol at the end instead if ic. My rifle barrels hardly ever have any fouling lead in them.

+1 for ballistol, which is also what I clean my barrels with. I haven’t done any real investigation to see if it helps accuracy but it definitely helps to reduce fouling. I clean every 500 shots or so and I only see a few small specs of fouling on the first or second patch pull. 

I also clean my pellets and slugs before they go in the gun, with dawn soap. Let dry and apply a light coating of ballistol then dry the slugs/pellets with a rag so only a small amount remains. 

I have tried slick 50 one, and silicone oil. Nothing against those lubricants.

I’m done with graphite for anything gun related. Works great on door locks though!

A tip from the powder burner world. When using some of these lubes indoors, they can be quite strong smelling. Put the projectiles in a zip lock bag, spray or squirt the lube in and seal it up. Roll the projectiles in the juice and dump onto a paper towel. Works especially well for the spray lubes, when you stick the little straw in the bag and spray it. I've been using Hornady One Shot, have used Slick 50, but will give the Ballistol a try.