• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lubing Pellets

I do not believe there is an easy answer to this question. Some people lube their pellets and claim to get great results. Others have told me it is a waste of time.
On the rifles that I own, I have tried lubed pellets with all of them....using pellet lube(Slick 50) and Krytox. I saw no difference in the results as far as improving accuracy.
However, All Barrels will react differently, and your's might be one that reacts positively to the lubrication. It just all depends on the interaction of the Pellet/Barrel
My suggestion is to do test samples while you are shooting at a paper target. The lubes are not very expensive, and are not difficult to apply. Just add a small amount(2-4 drops per tin) to a plastic bag and then pour in your pellets and mix them around until they have a light coating. Keep the coating LIGHT.
Some of the pellets that you have tested in the past might do better with the additional lubrication....some could do worse. But I believe it is better for the person to try it out for themselves, to see what results they get. I have friends with the same gun...one lubes his pellets and gets great results, The other doesn't do anything to his pellets and still shoots well.
Like I said there is no easy answer, except for you to try it and see if it works for you. Listening to how it worked for someone else is informational, but since the dynamic in the relation to his pellet/barrel interaction is going to be different, the information my not be relevant to your situation.
Test for yourself so that you really know the answer to this question
Mike

Reactions: cubo
"chasdicapua"I'm thinking about lubing some pellets and see how they do. Anyone tried this? If so, what results did you get accuracy wise, and with what pellet and lube?
Any particular reason why you wanna try this? If your gun is shooting good groups at 50 or beyond, would suggest you don't try this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Completely agree with manabeknives on this one, lubed pellets work well with some guns and do not improve the accuracy at all with other guns. 

Be cautious when using krytox. once applied it cannot be removed by any solvent. You will have to spend about 500 bucks on a special dupont cleaner. That being said I have used it in springers with great success.

JSB pellets come impregnated with a lubricant. The whole lubing pellets has more to do with cleaning the dirty types and lubing them to keep the oxidation under control.

"PaulWI"Be cautious when using krytox. once applied it cannot be removed by any solvent. You will have to spend about 500 bucks on a special dupont cleaner. That being said I have used it in springers with great success.

JSB pellets come impregnated with a lubricant. The whole lubing pellets has more to do with cleaning the dirty types and lubing them to keep the oxidation under control.

I'm not a lubber, but I'm curious about all things airguns. Do you have a source for this info (specifically the lubbing) I can't understand as I've oft read JBS are 100% lead.

I bet it would have people thinking differently.

I'm no expert. A couple of years ago I started washing and lubing my pellets. I only shoot JSB but, during the wash I always get some Lead dust off of the pellets. I don't know that washing helps but in my feeble mind I'm thinking the Lead dust has to go somewhere. Yes I do have a LDC. ;)

Since I have gone through with the washing, after the pellets are dry I give them a quick shot of Lemon Pledge for a lube. I heard several people use Pledge. Hey it a wax.

Again, I don't know if it helps. But it makes me feel better and my pellets really smell lemony. ;) 

Trust me I don't know how to spell (clicking the mic button for voice to text) "hemorrhoids". Smart phones are awesome!
I had big plans of washing and lubing cpl pellets but none of my guns like them. Jsb and h&n rule the roost and both seam to be very clean compared to the Crosmans.

Edit : guess I should have used a different ailment than hemorrhoids in a post titled lubing pellets:)

"guess I should have used a different ailment than hemorrhoids in a post titled lubing pellets"
Paul - very funny
There seems to be a lot of theads about lubing. From another thread:

I have found with my HW97 springer, the groups are tighter and the barrel does not lead up as quickly while using Krytech lube. I wash the .177 pellets in ethyl alcohol and lightly lube them by putting a drop or 2 in the top and bottom of a large tin and rolling about 250 pellets in the tin. I also clean the barrel with Krytech when I see the groups opening up, run a dry patch and go shoot. You will need to shoot half a dozen shots to condition it back up and you should be good to go. Try shooting with and with out the Krytech and see if it works for you.If I can get better groups and don’t need to clean as often then I can’t see where you think it is laziness in using it. I think it laziness knowing it helps and not using it.