• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Lubing pellets for FX MKII .25

I'm a big bore enthusiast and a diehard bullet luber with the 10 wt. silicone shock oil. I'm curious if anyone uses lube on pellets or slugs for their .25 cal and smaller pcp's. A few years ago a buddy was spraying some stuff on his pellets and dabbing them dry and said he was getting slightly better groups with his FX Royale. My .25 MKII is plenty accurate on its own and unlike big bores it doesn't have a problem with barrel fouling, but will lube make the accuracy even better?

The down side is having greasy lube in the magazine, cocking lever, and anything else that my hands touch. I'd like to know if a) anyone is currently doing this and if so, do you see an improvement.

Lube can make your gun shoot a little more accurately, not usually by much. It doesn’t hurt though either and helps keep your barrel from fouling for a lot longer, especially with slugs. I’ve experimented with many of them and like the Silicone formula WD-40 in the blue/silver/yellow can the best, there are a bunch of different lubes out there that work though. 

Stoti

I do use 10% shock fluid, and of late Trident pure silicon grease, which is just a little easier to deal with. A little on the fingers can lube quite a few before another dip into the container. I suppose it is messy, but you get use to how much you need, which is as little as you can apply. You can adjust for that with practice. I prefer the Trident as it will last while the projectiles are in storage to the point, I can feel it much later. Some have said you do not need to lube pellets, only slugs. I lube both pellets and slugs, but all I typically shoot are projectiles I cast in .25, .30, .357 calibers. I probably would not bother with lubing .22 cal or less diameters unless I had a tight bore on those and needed to lube for excess/ frequent lead fouling. It certainly would not hurt to lube in most cases. The larger diameter projectiles, especially the slugs with a much larger bearing surface do greatly benefit from lubing for accuracy, and to prevent lead fouling to the point of inaccuracy. I have tested the .30 cal pellets with and without lube. After that test, all of those get lubed. This is shooting out of very smooth (to begin with) and highly polished by me FX liners.

The best advice I could give anyone is to start out with a clean bore and do your own testing to see the differences. This will take a lot of fun/time/shots to come to an accurate assessment as to whether lube is right for your bore and tune with a particular projectile. It is the only way to get a definitive answer. It is the type of thing I do while plinking on paper for groups during my “Me” time, but not always as there are cans and spinners and old tangerines that need attention as well.🌝

Reactions: kirkb
I'm not sure the type of lube makes that much difference. I've been washing and using Pledge and seems to work just fine. In my opinion, (worth what you paid for it), So long as the lube is not flammable at the pressures we shoot at, it's probably fine. You might ask why I chose Pledge? Two reasons. Tom Holland uses it and most important, my wife doesn't like the smells of petroleum based lubes. Pledge gets a good recommendation and doesn't smell. What more can I ask for?

Have fun out there. 

I lube my .25 cal pellets with M-Pro 7, same as I use for general lubing and rust prevention on my airgun and firearms. With cheap Blazer .22LR ammo, wiping the plain lead bullets with an oil soaked cleaning patch will increase velocity by about 20 FPS and eliminate lead fouling. PCP's run a bit moist when using a suppressor, so the rust prevention helps. If it eliminates lead fouling with a higher velocity bullet, then it should do the same with a lower velocity pellet. Never had any lead fouling issues in my .25 cal airgun with M-Pro 7.