• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lube for GX CS3 Compressor and the like?

I can't seem to find any good info on lubes for GX CS2 type compressors. I'm not at all concerned about the gear box and connecting rod pin, as these can be lubed with any decent moly grease. I think Redline CV2 red moly, or Molykote G-2008 or similar would work as good as anything you can buy.
My main question is for piston and cylinder lube. What do you recommend for this area? I'm guessing something like Syn Super Lube with PTFE would work, Some other kind of Molykote?
I'd love to hear recommendations. I don't think there's a need to spend a fortune for lubes on this compressor, but I do think the key to it's longevity is regular cleaning and lubing the parts.

I can't seem to find any good info on lubes for GX CS2 type compressors. I'm not at all concerned about the gear box and connecting rod pin, as these can be lubed with any decent moly grease. I think Redline CV2 red moly, or Molykote G-2008 or similar would work as good as anything you can buy.
My main question is for piston and cylinder lube. What do you recommend for this area? I'm guessing something like Syn Super Lube with PTFE would work, Some other kind of Molykote?
I'd love to hear recommendations. I don't think there's a need to spend a fortune for lubes on this compressor, but I do think the key to it's longevity is regular cleaning and lubing the parts.
I wrote a post about me basically putting a tiny dab of Ultimox on my rings.. So far It's doing what I hoped it would. Faster fill time for sure. Make sure your moly doesn't have any petroleum derivatives in it. I think the molykote is gtg as far as I know.

From gx..
"added food-grade grease before factory. never need to add any oil or grease in future."

Anyway dont your manual have this info ?

So fully maintenance free for ever.. 0 risk it ever burns up ...lol

Says the old ones came with a grease syringe but the newer ones run forever with out need for lubing..

Now if you can find the refill syringe or see if they can send you one ..

I do thing it needs to be non petroleum/ combination type used under pressuer.. i assume.

So maybe look at what you ferl is the best good grade ?

Also seems like thete are a few threads on this at gta. Maybe a answer to use there in one

Somthing as This may help choose

This maybe a safe bet

Last edited:
Manual is not a lot of help. I'm a firm believer that, at least, some of the failures of these is lube related. A fresh re lube now and then is a good idea. I just don't believe it's "lubricated for life". I'm going to do some experimenting with these compressors and will start with Redline red moly grease on the gear box and wrist pin, and Molykote 33 on the piston. I'll report back when I have any info.

According to BJS here on AGN this is the lube that GX recommended to him for the GX compressor pistons. Enough for many rebuilds / lube services on the GX or similar compressors.

1682249889815.png

I posted this same information in the other thread started by me on CS3 lubrication.

It looks like there are two factory recommended options for those wanting to get more than one rebuild's worth for $20. Buying 14 ounces at $10 / 10 ccs would cost you $414 not including shipping, so that is not an option. I will go with the 44 cents / 10 ccs rather than $10 + shipping. I am sure I will be rebuilding it several times over the years and can definitely find other uses for the grease as well.

I just bought the target forge grease kit. Expensive? Yes but I have peace of mind it’s the right stuff and you don’t need to use much or do it very often so what the heck.
If i were to use that TF lube, I'd take the compressor apart and remove as much of the original lube as possible. I'd be concerned about mixing lubes. I saw the TF videos and I'm not convinced of his methodology when picking a "better" lube. These are low speed, normal load devices and really don't indicate super lubes. Also the RL grease specs out very good.

If i were to use that TF lube, I'd take the compressor apart and remove as much of the original lube as possible. I'd be concerned about mixing lubes. I saw the TF videos and I'm not convinced of his methodology when picking a "better" lube. These are low speed, normal load devices and really don't indicate super lubes. Also the RL grease specs out very good.
The top piston(white) grease is the same as the factory uses. Before applying the red moly to the pin, lower piston or gear box bill recommends cleaning the factory grease out as thoroughly as possible so as to not mix them.