• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

LPVO for a PCP - good focus under 30yds? 10yds?

Nice, please let us that don't know know how sharp the focus is inside of 30y and if you notice any parallax error.
so i've zeroed-in at about 12 yards (as far as my basement will let me), and plenty for my backyard, for now.

Vixen Viper PST 1-6x comes to focus without issue, at 12yds.

As for parallax, I don't see an issue. on a 1-6x scope set to 1x or 2x, you can't really be expecting any pinpoint accuracy, especially beyond 10yds. So at 1-2x, although you'll "drag" the crosshairs a little, by moving your eye around the exit pupil, that margin for error is larger than anything the parallax would contribute, in my opinion/estimation.

At magnification: I zeroed the scope in at 4x, since that's what I'm likely to be using most often. That yields a 6mm exit pupil (24mm objective / 4x mag = 6mm EP)*. 6mm exit pupil leaves very little wiggle room in the eyepiece to be off-axis. However while target shooting at 12yds, it is "technically" possible to be on the wrong side of parallax issues (wandering crosshair). But my take on that is: Nobody holding an air rifle who knows what parallax is would ever take such a shot. It's just a wasted/bad shot.

So my take on parallax is: The Vixen Viper PST has no practical, real-world issues with parallax at 12 yards.

*A note about exit pupil numbers, above: the EP numbers I mention above are assumed, not measured. Reviews put this scope at 24mm exit pupil at 1x mag, so I'm going to assume there is no clipping/obstruction within the optic. Vixen also claims 24mm, and knowing Vixen by their reputation through binoculars, they are unlikely to be misrepresenting their claimed specs.

Reactions: TimeRabbit
so i've zeroed-in at about 12 yards (as far as my basement will let me), and plenty for my backyard, for now.

Vixen Viper PST 1-6x comes to focus without issue, at 12yds.

As for parallax, I don't see an issue. on a 1-6x scope set to 1x or 2x, you can't really be expecting any pinpoint accuracy, especially beyond 10yds. So at 1-2x, although you'll "drag" the crosshairs a little, by moving your eye around the exit pupil, that margin for error is larger than anything the parallax would contribute, in my opinion/estimation.

At magnification: I zeroed the scope in at 4x, since that's what I'm likely to be using most often. That yields a 6mm exit pupil (24mm objective / 4x mag = 6mm EP)*. 6mm exit pupil leaves very little wiggle room in the eyepiece to be off-axis. However while target shooting at 12yds, it is "technically" possible to be on the wrong side of parallax issues (wandering crosshair). But my take on that is: Nobody holding an air rifle who knows what parallax is would ever take such a shot. It's just a wasted/bad shot.

So my take on parallax is: The Vixen Viper PST has no practical, real-world issues with parallax at 12 yards.

*A note about exit pupil numbers, above: the EP numbers I mention above are assumed, not measured. Reviews put this scope at 24mm exit pupil at 1x mag, so I'm going to assume there is no clipping/obstruction within the optic. Vixen also claims 24mm, and knowing Vixen by their reputation through binoculars, they are unlikely to be misrepresenting their claimed specs.
Good deal sound like you found what you wanted .
I don't get to look thru to many scopes with out parallax adjustment and the scopes I have look at just didn't cut it for me, no lpvo's in my samplings so It's nice to know there's another option out there.
Thanks I do appreciate the info .