• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lowering min. parallax possible?

Hi,

I am looking at a few scopes I really like, but unfortunately the minimum parallax on them is 50 yards. I believe that all scopes have to be calibrated after they were assembled, or during assembly. If that is the case, I would think/hope that there is "room" to lower the parallax!? Would a gun shop, or who ever works on scopes, be able to lower the parallax? Or maybe someone has done it themselves!?

Thanks,

Kmd

There was this place called ABO Inc USA that could do it but the owner died and the company is no more.

It required threading the front objective but in turn limited your maximum focus parallax ability and will void any warranty you have and it was rather expensive to do. Your scope may have some threads to screw but I doubt it will make it close enough for airgun use.

Worst case scenario if you modify a 50 yard starting AO scope, you would definitely void your warranty and

possibly have a 10-15 yard start focus that goes up to 40-50 yards max and you won't be able to focus on anything past that distance.

If you buy a Leupold they have a close distance adapter and the Leupold custom shop can make all of the custom adjustments you need at a price including custom reticles without voiding any warranty.

Walt

Reactions: kmd1984
Loosen the locking ring on the objective (front) lens. I remove them so that I can clean the black gunk on the threads. Turn the obj. lens CCW to move the focus closer. It's best to fine tune this lens with the the scope supported so you don't have to hold it. Look through the scope and move your head slowly up and down and side to side. When the X-hairs don't move up and down, side to side with your motion, but stay on target, you've nailed it. Tighten the locking ring while holding the lens so it won't move. I use a small screwdriver that I fit into one of the 2 notches on the outer edge of the lens. Good luck. RC

RC1947 is right.

Some scopes are easier to do than others, I've done my own big sightrons (before the FT version came out). The were quite easy. Also did one cheapy. I wouldn't do it any anyone else's scope.

Keep in mind, you will also be lowering the far /max distance. On the big sightrons I did, I lowered the min from about 13-15 yards to 9 yards. But the max clear distance ended up at around 60/65y. No idea how to predict what lowering the min from 50y to 10/20 yards would leave you with. Might not apply the same to all...

Everyone,

thank you for the input! I am glad to hear that it is possible. Am I going to try it based on what I have heard!? Probably not, ha ha. The good news is, I don't have to!

I was going to (maybe) try this mod on a Sig Sauer BDX, but after talking to Sig today, it sounds like I don't have to anymore. Even though the minimum parallax is 50 yards, the Tech told me that if I know all the ballistics info for my pellet, I can enter it manually and use the scope below 50 yards! In other words, it will totally focus below 50 yards!

Having said this. I am glad I still asked the question as I love learning new things, so thanks for that!

Kmd

p.s. I will start a new thread about the BDX scope and would love to hear what others think about it.