• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lower cost hi pressure hand pumps

I am super excited to see so many lower end price wise PCP airguns for sale this year. I have my and on a couple, but I have an additional problem moving from co2; and springer type airguns is the HPA source. Obviously I would like to purchase the air pump pyramid air offers with the Gaunlet, but being new to pcp pellet guns I am looking to not have to invest a lot to get started. I noticed that Amazon and a few other sites sell hi pressure hand pumps for a really reasonable prices. Can any one suggest a model that is decent and will last a while, hopefully by first hand review. I'm interested in what caliber you got and advantages/faults and what caliber you prefer instead, what ammo is being used, etc. 

Also, being a new convert to PCP airguns any information or tips that will help Is much appreciated. Thinking about the Umarex Gaunlet, Diana storm Rider, or maybe the MPX/MCX Sig rifles with hpa conversation kits. 

Frisco. 

I bought the Gamo Urban .22 cal and a cheap Chinese hand pump off eBay for under $250. After 6 months they are both working great. I have about 1200 pellets through it with all the air supplied by the hand pump. Pumping sucks but it’s very doable with the Urban. 55-65 pumps takes you from 1000 psi to 3200 psi for 30 shots. I can’t remember the manufacturer of the pump but they’re out there for $50 or so.

Best wishes 

Tim

Goldfer70 ouch you call $250 cheap ?? I got mine a 3 stage 4500psi hand pump for $50 and it's still working 3 years later (had to rebuild twice) mostly replacing O-rings and they come with replacement O-rings. https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Pressure-Convenient-Pre-Charged-Pneumatic/dp/B06XQ4RLNY/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=3+stage+hand+pump&link_code=qs&qid=1557713987&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-7

FriscoBradford I went from the Gamp Swarm to the Gauntlet as my first PCP but now I'm a bit of a snob and shoot exclusively with my Wildcat mkII. All my airguns are 22cal and they prefer JSB 18.13gr but my Gauntlet shoot great with the cheap Crossman CPHP among my other PCP is the Hatsan 10-44 longQE, hatsan Bullboss and the Diana Outlaw ..all .22cal. I have started to save up for the FX Impact mkII 700mm for next year in .25cal. 

Goldfer70 ouch you call $250 cheap ?? I got mine a 3 stage 4500psi hand pump for $50 and it's still working 3 years later (had to rebuild twice) mostly replacing O-rings and they come with replacement O-rings. https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Pressure-Convenient-Pre-Charged-Pneumatic/dp/B06XQ4RLNY/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=3+stage+hand+pump&link_code=qs&qid=1557713987&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-7

FriscoBradford I went from the Gamp Swarm to the Gauntlet as my first PCP but now I'm a bit of a snob and shoot exclusively with my Wildcat mkII. All my airguns are 22cal and they prefer JSB 18.13gr but my Gauntlet shoot great with the cheap Crossman CPHP among my other PCP is the Hatsan 10-44 longQE, hatsan Bullboss and the Diana Outlaw ..all .22cal. I have started to save up for the FX Impact mkII 700mm for next year in .25cal.

He's talking about the gun AND pump. I bought one off of Ebay for $40 recently as a back up for the built in pump on my Aspen. I've only pumped up to 3600 psi as that's the max pressure of the rifle but it wasn't all that hard. I am a fat but at 215 lbs and just used my weight to pump using my legs to move up and down. 

Is it really possible for a human being to hand pump to 4500 psi ?

I weighed 278lbs & muscles don’t help in this case as you’re only using your body weight & gravity. After 3600psi I wouldn’t even trust my Hill pump to last long if at all trying to pump to 4500psi let alone a Huben 5K full fill.

Yes, a big man (562.5lbs) could pump to 4500psi. If a pumps piston is 1/8” 1” square equates to 0.125 or 1/8 of 1” 4500psi divided by 8 = 562.5

A hand pump is 3/16” so 281.25 pounds of force at the 4500 psi point. This obviously increases to this. A more common 3K fill, or 3600 for arguments sake which I can do now at 208 lbs takes 225 lbs mathematically; but I suck at math so there’s something I’m not considering here as my math says my weight shouldn’t allow me to pump to 3600psi. Maybe my gauge or math is off, or my scales broke & I’m a lot fatter than I look.

OP, buy a $199 Hill pump if you’re going to stay in hobby or save $100 more, get a Yong Heng & filter. Fill guns only for now. I’m saving for a 3K compressor & more 2K+ rifles. I’m cheap on scopes though. $250-$500. But yes a Chinese pump that’s available today is still probably better than what the Benjamin pump was 10 years ago. Constant maintenance on those darn things & NOT worth the $180 they use to cost. No way in H or H. 

Had the 2nd Gen Hill (first after the yellow ones) 1st & 2nd gen FX used the two FX exclusivity for 5 years with some bigbore shooting too. 

Got a TAOUSA (something like that) for just under $100 and it was the best yet. Spare parts & tool that were never needed, I put all parts together with ONLY my fingers-didnt use included tool- put the included deadhead in and pressurized it to 4,500 , 130lb weight fi it matters.

Any hand pump, 50 strokes bleed & let cool, repeat. Only takes 550 pump strokes (FX gen2) to fill a 550cc from empty. In your sweet spot or better with any regulated unit just look at it as pumps per shot. Likely only 2-3 per shot max with any .177/.22 .

I would give any of the lower priced hand pumps a chance from any of the better know/used vendors. Even if you have a Bauer it is well worth grabing a $50.00 hand pump just to let newbies try one out and see it is doable - at least for a while.

John