Low ricochet BBs for Red Rider?

I got the air Venturi cowboy action metal targets today and was all set to try out my new excite smart shot BBs. The targets say to use lead BBs and these are copper coated lead. So I removed the steel BBs from my red Rider and loaded it up, but then it would not feed them, or if one fired it was extremely under powered, or a bunch of them would just fall out the end of the barrel. They are .177 cal, and the ones that fed but then fell out of the barrel did not look mangled or even scratched. I did not leave the loading gate open. I checked. So I removed the smart shot and reloaded with steel and it works fine again with the steel BBs. What's going on here? Are there other lead BBs that are likely to work better in the Red Rider?

I haven't shot BBs in years, but, 
I spotted a type made by Air Venturi that 'explode on impact'..
They're called "Dust Devil BBs", and look like this:

1547848485_2537987475c424b255ff9f5.60696722_Dust Devil BBs.jpg

They popped up on my Amazon Prime feed the other day, 
and cost like $10 bucks for 1,500. Just another possible option..

Sam -

Tried the dust-devil BBs, months back.

They ricochet just like steel balls, shatter glass too. Not worth the high price in my experience.

I've been using the dust devils for a little while now. I find that they turn to dust against metal but ricochet from wood. I read one complaint that they ricochet from brick also, though I haven't tested that But fired into a metal trap, they turn to dust. And If I've had a single ricochet from my diamond gongs, I haven't noticed it. Sometimes I pull the trigger and I don't see a BB fly and there's no gong, even though I'd swear I was dead on. Makes me wonder if they sometimes turn to dust in the barrel, fall forward out of the cartridge (cowboy action guns, not Red Rider), or don't feed because I'm going too fast (Red Rider which needs to come off the shoulder for a gravity feed to put the BBs against the feed mechanism). But when I fire on a metal trap at close range, I always get a hole in the target for each trigger pull. So maybe I'm just a bad shot. I'll let you know if I figure something else out.