low profile tripod

@Keyman62421 Check these out. These look like the ones that came up in one of those threads I was telling you about. Check out the specs and see which one can easily bear the weight of your gun.

LS-223C-LH30 Leofoto Mini Tripod Kit LH-30 Carbon Fiber CF & 30mm Low Profile Ball Head https://a.co/d/9gl6srM

Leofoto LS-223C-LH25 Mini Tripod Kit LH-25 Carbon Fiber CF & 25mm Low Profile Ball Head https://a.co/d/56YbYQl

This looks like it’s the ball head.

46508378-F4A8-4DB2-9269-B6A3F09ABAD2.jpeg

not much lower than a caldwell turret rest which ive seen a much lowered price in lately, like 70 bucks ... theyre better than given credit for i think, especially with just some minor polishing of surfaces and lead screws ... and if ya hafta just be all rico and even lower the legs are solid iron .. fire up the torch and squash it down lol ..

Reactions: Plink Floyd
The max load on that is 11lbs., some if my air rifles weigh that much with everything on it. The Innorel ball head has a 66.1lb max load, and keeps everything nice stabilized.
I just started using that exact setup. It is quite a bit different than shooting off a bipod and will take a bit of getting used to. I also like the ball head that BigRagu above has, I may even be having second thoughts on my ball head. Augie, if you’re still following…how does the “magic” ball head compare to the standard versions?

I just started using that exact setup. It is quite a bit different than shooting off a bipod and will take a bit of getting used to. I also like the ball head that BigRagu above has, I may even be having second thoughts on my ball head. Augie, if you’re still following…how does the “magic” ball head compare to the standard versions?
Yes, the Leofoto mh-60 ball does seem very nice but for $269🤔. It'll give me something to upgrade to if I start to this like mine.

I think the Really Right Stuff ball head that rcs9250 posted above is way overkill with the 50 lb weight limit.
I have the 18 lb weight limit RRS ball head and it is a joy to work with, super smooth and great lock up. At approx half the cost.
Also I'm not sure why you would need the degree marked base for gun use, which also helps with the price.
Also it feels good to buy made in the US.

I think the Really Right Stuff ball head that rcs9250 posted above is way overkill with the 50 lb weight limit.
I have the 18 lb weight limit RRS ball head and it is a joy to work with, super smooth and great lock up. At approx half the cost.
Also I'm not sure why you would need the degree marked base for gun use, which also helps with the price.
Also it feels good to buy made in the US.
Totally agree on overkill. It’s just the ballhead that was shown in the OP’s video. The gentleman in the video has good taste in good gear, all part of the hobby/vice.

When I first started the tripod thing I checked in with brawler52, dairyboy, two guys with good tripod experiences. Under their recommendations I picked the leofoto ranger LS 362C as they said the tripod rods were stouter, and I went with the innorel ballhead that had like a 50 lb rating. The ballhead was around $110 if I recall, and the tripod around $189.

Two weeks into that set up I run into STOTI at the pacific west airgun show and he tells me about the leofoto mh-60 ballhead, a system purpose designed to secure rifles on a tripod, in whereas we are using camera ballhead to hold rifles up. The seller to me besides the 60 lb weight rating was the handlebar style tensioner grip, that extends in/out and let’s you easily control tightness to clamp the ball, to Pan, and to tilt. It changes to any position very fast, anf the true test was to clamp on the ball tight, and with no rear monopod to support the rear, look thru the scope to see if the rifle starts to slowly creep upwards up front because of the overhanging rear weight unsupported.

It never budged. The crosshairs remain affixed onto whatever I had it aimed at when I locked the ballhead.

Another big plus I liked about it is before I sit to shoot as part of my set up, I look at my scopes anti cant level and once level I lock in the ball head and never have to look at that level and worry about cant thru out my shooting session. I remember watching old video footage of EBR and RMAC competitors, constantly fidgeting with a bipods legs or the Pan and tilt lock, trying to get a perfect no cant set up. With this ball head it makes that part of the set up a breeze.
When I first used the Innorel with that small knob to tighten up the ball, I could never get my fingers to tighten the ball as tight as I needed(numb fingers due to my recent neck fusion). With the MH60, I keep the handlebar ball head clamp on my left side, and being a right handed shooter it felt more natural to have my left hand up front in control of that adjustment, and the handlebar grip makes it very easy to tighten the ball.

I strictly use the saber tactical rear monopod as my support, as shown here on an impact and an LCS. I love this thing! Truly well engendered, and a joy to use. In time, I will pick up two more adapters for my wildcats so I can attach this magnetic monopod onto them, also
582D1BE3-055E-45F8-AB53-4E42FC9FCE94.jpeg
4C7F68EF-058C-44DB-9539-69955843A193.jpeg

With this tripod and rear support set up, I don’t find myself wanting or questioning my set up. To me it is perfect for my needs, and truly a joy to use each and every time. With the MH60 at almost $300, I’ve got close to $500 wrapped up into this, which I see equivalent to a top tier accutac or I see it as less expensive compared to some that own multiple accutacs and Harris bipods. I realize a tripod has it limitations, like being good only for bench shooting or stationary set ups. At RMAC a tripod would be useless in the precision marksman challenge where one has to contort to all these different shooting positions as quick as possible, so yes, a bipod would rule there, but because of my physical limitations, im strictly a bench competitor.

Out of all the trinquettes we buy in this hobby to attach to our guns, ive held off on rifle support for the longest time. Ive been ok with the Caldwell Stinger and the Caldwell precidion turret rest for years, but when I decided to take up bench target shooting more seriously I needed something very stable and with Bighun’s recommendation to add weight to the tripod legs with steel shot, this tripod set up clamped onto my ARCA rail makes for a truly solid set up at almost 10 lbs clamped onto my gun.

I’ll end with this- all missed shots and crappy groups are truly now on me as a shooter, and no way can I blame the equipment as I feel it’s that good in doing it’s job.

Last edited: