• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

low profile tripod

My only thing with the LS-223 series is the flex of the legs. I found them not sturdy enough to prevent flex with the cantilever weight of a gun hanging off it. The POA would move around too much holding the gun light or firm and then just letting it rest.

Pricier, but I would consider either a 36mm or 40mm leg thickness to eliminate the flex effect. You already have to consider the flex in the ball head as you lock it down. I usually have to aim about 10-15 mil below the target while tightening the ball as the gun will settle up as you release the tension on it - and this is with the RRS 50mm head. Also - the more leg segments you have the more the flex. The first two digits on the Leofoto model number tells you the diameter of the biggest leg segment and the last digit tells you the number of segments.

After trial and error I prefer at least a 40-50mm ball head to support the cantilevered weight.

This is my setup, not cheap, but solid as a rock:

Tripod Setup - 1 (1).jpeg

BigRagu, are you saying that that ball head locks up for cant, but still allows vertical movement and pan? That is the one downside to my setup over a bipod.
Yes it does but enough for me to swing from target to target on s target card and up and down on the target card rows I’m able to move the ball head while the cant is locked.

Thanks Augie, points to ponder….
So thinking about all of this, say I had this ball head mounted on a full height tripod while I was sitting or standing while on a rat hunt at a farm, my left hand would have to be on that handle to loosen and retighten as I’m swinging left to right 24” or raising and lowering the sight picture while chasing or following a rat thru my scope. At that point I’m not too worried about checking for cant.

But like I mentioned, moving left/right up/down a 25 target target card I can keep my cant level locked on level and still Pan and tilt with the slight adjustments that come from shooting at a target card, w/o having to loosen the ballhead

A few product pics-
12DF6CE0-F3E6-452E-8BC3-49E1EB056808.png
EC429F8B-EA99-4294-9D0E-6234E2666D53.png
991D48C2-6775-4E33-A7F9-387096033787.png

Last edited:
Just chiming in regarding weight support..
Having gone through multiple bipods, tripods, Primos TriggerStick, Protektor front/rear bags, lab jacks ...you get the idea...I kept looking for a sturdier set up to manage my most recent RW set up including a PRS stock rail and a Sightron FT scope both add 2-3lbs to a 8.5lbs gun.

So after I did my research and reading posts of other members here :) I decided to go with the thicker Leofoto LS-362C (Max Load 99lbs per Amaz0n listing, says currently unavailable but I'm sure it can be found from other vendors) $199 + Leofoto SC-50 Set of 3 Universal 3/8" 50mm Rubber Tripod Feet $14, and added a Tripod Fluid Head-INNOREL F60 (Max Load 22lbs per Amaz0n listing) $74.

I can safely say that so far this the most stable, recoil-less, and hassle free set up I've managed in a long time. Tripod wouldn't move even when I bumped into it and the fluid head is a pleasure to work with.
1666029503943.png

1666029536583.png

1666029601727.png

1666029797876.png

1666029859170.png

Reactions: Bigragu