“Low” Pressure Filter Recommendation?

I fill with an Altaros Booster and like to filter humidity and debris between the Shop Compressor and the Altaros, as well as after the Altaros. 

Recently I noticed my filter took a dive and left me hanging with a big leak. I’m looking for recommendations for an effective and hopefully inexpensive alternative to mine. The media was kind of hard to get and expensive for what I need. 

This is what I had:

1548625782_15266844395c4e2776c0b4c1.01949146_B3F23EA7-9535-4394-8784-25C18AC7A56E.jpeg

did you try and lube the square o ring when you connect them togetheror is it leaking from a crack we have 3 of these inline at work for our plasma and they work pretty good you be surprised what a toilet paper filter will keep out

Will inspect more closely, but I think the metal may have decayed. Probably my fault, should have changed filter sooner. 

I had two Shoeboxes and used the Wilkerson X06-02-000 which worked so well I never used a high pressure filter and had no moisture in my tanks for the years I used it. The desiccant is rechargeable and visible in the filter bowl. I bought it off of Ebay for about $55. Perfect size too. Not to big.

Thanks. Will give this a look. 

humdinger i have a shoebox f10 coming in next week and a 3/8" COMPRESSED AIR INLINE PARTICULATE FILTER / DESICCANT DRYER / COALESCING coming in tomorrow you never had anything on the high pressure side did you fill your tank outside or inside and do you have high humidity where you live we have terrible hummidity in louisiana

Isn't there someone that sells an empty canister that can be loaded with a media of choice, like toilet paper for example. Easy to open and close?

Yes. The Wilkerson X06-02-000 has a clear glass bowl with a metal bowl cover that has holes in it to see the condition of the media. It comes with blue silica gel desiccant beads that can be recharged many times in a flat shallow pan in an oven. If you prefer to use a different media or toilet paper you can easily take this filter apart in 15 seconds. I don't see why you would want to use something else since it comes with blue beads that probably would outlast the compressor but you could.

humdinger i have a shoebox f10 coming in next week and a 3/8" COMPRESSED AIR INLINE PARTICULATE FILTER / DESICCANT DRYER / COALESCING coming in tomorrow you never had anything on the high pressure side did you fill your tank outside or inside and do you have high humidity where you live we have terrible hummidity in louisiana

I filled with my Shoebox in an outbuilding which was not climate controlled in North Carolina. The humidity here is pretty much the same as in Louisiana. I never had a problem with moisture in my tanks. I reheated and dried out the desiccant beads in a toaster oven spread out in a shallow pie pan. Only takes 15 minutes at 250 degrees. Unless you neglect your media and allow it to get saturated you shouldn't need another high pressure filter. If you insist on one I'd get the small $15 ones like you see on the Yong Hengs. What miniscule amount of moisture they might absorb can be handled by the little cigarette sized tampons. You don't ever want to use a gold filter or Alpha filter with a Shoebox unless you have no low pressure filter. Shoeboxes fill slowly and just pressurizing a large high volume filter on the output side adds 30 minutes more run time to each run session. Why make a slow fill session even longer than necessary? Large high pressure filters are mismatched and unnecessary on Shoeboxes. They are most useful with faster, high speed compressors.

So, based on that last thing you said, since I use an Altaros, the Alpha is overkill?

I don't have first hand experience with an Altaros but from what I have read I'd have to say yes it is. It's better to have a good low pressure input filter that removes the moisture under pressure before it enters the Altaros or Shoebox. If you don't have one already and do have an Alpha, stay with it. Nothing wrong with it, just adds to the fill time.