• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Low powered PCP for plinking and peat control

I am looking for recommendations on a low powered PCP for small pest control and plinking. Probably .17 caliber. Something they a pretty won’t do much damage to the background inside a barn.

Current guns are a .22 cal FX wildcat and .25 cal Airgun technology Vulcan.

what sort of FPE should I plan for? 6 FPE?

A gun that is fully adjustable and easily adjusted would be ideal. 

thanks!

There are a couple of choices that comes to mind for easy quick power adjustable 177 PCP depending on how much $$$ you want to spend. Air Arms A510 OR Galahad (if all the bugs were worked out)with the power dialer or Kral Puncher Breaker silent with the power dialer or a Kral of your choice with the dialer. Other option others probably agree however not adjustable like the previous mentioned guns is a P-Rod but it's a 22 but you tune it down and get plenty of shots add a carbine stock to it. If you can find a 177 or 22 Sumatra carbine that has a power dialer easy to adjust in the field too and has a very wide range of power levels. YO! 

This sparrow special would work. Crosman 1701p with 1720 tp (.067), bstaley mod, tweek adjustments . jsb 8.4 @ 690 for 30 shots. Will stack em @ 35 yds calm wind. 8.5 fpe. Can go +/- on power. Sparrow @ 35 yds.chopped crosman 1399 stock. 
1588544416_14022906085eaf43a0673700.54336659.jpg
1588544516_64685925eaf44048d0cd5.02202524.jpg

I also have a need for an adjustable PCP that can be used in & around structures & ended up with a Leshiy in 22. 

I went with 22 because I had read more than once to use a larger caliber at slower speeds to minimize damage and the likelihood of pass throughs.

I spent some time adjusting down when I first got it & found the trajectory very loopy at around 6 FPE. I would need a lot more practice to shoot that speed at different distances.

For now I'm mostly pesting at set distances & not in or around structures. But at some point I'd like to get a 177 barrel & some old tin & see make some comparisons for myself. Hopefully find a caliber & speed that shoots flatter & won't go through tin.

By the way, I've also heard use wadcutters to minimize damage. I've tried four different types in 22 in my Leshiy. The Meisterkugeln (spelling?) were the best. 

I'm one that likes to setup a gun, and leave it, so adjustable guns in my closet are only adjusted to get the tune I want.

I will say that I have a 1701P, the Crosman Silhouette as well. I get 60 or so shots from a fill, but it only puts out 6 foot pounds the way I have it tuned. Plenty to take small stuff like rats, mice, birds. and yes, it stacks pellets with the factory tune. Range is limited, maybe 20 yards, but that is plenty for a gun designed for 10 meters.

Be aware if you buy a 1701P, you'll need rear sights that add to the cost.

It's a gun that if I miss, I know it was my fault.