N/A Low powered guns

This is my low po-favorite. Was my first PCP.
Gateway to the Darkside. And I still love it.
IMG_0016.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my low po-favorite. Was my first PCP.
Gateway to the Darkside. And I still love it. View attachment 453072

The same for me. No pool pooper (starling) is safe in the neighborhood. It's a Rapid70 bullpup kit. Hard to miss with it using cheap Crosman 14.3s.

IMG_20230528_192925.jpg

So I have a question for you guys in this thread. Do those of you that shoot lower powered guns think that you've developed better range estimation skills because of it? If so, that could be an additional benefit of shooting lower powered airguns.
I think that’s probably true, when I lob pellets out to 80 yards I definitely need to watch the wind, or breeze because the pellets are very easily moved by even just a slight breeze!

Personally I would never consider a high power gun, particularly shooting slugs as a suitable choice for birds. The reasons being.
Safety, how far will a slug travel in the event of a pass through or miss?
How much damage to building in the event of a pass through or miss?
Muzzle report and pellet/slug impact it much louder and scares everything off for 1/2mile in every direction.
Dead is dead, how much power do you need to kill a sparrow?
Then there is the cost, more air, more expensive ammunition and more stress on the gun causing more maintenance.

I have watched videos of long shots at 100 yards plus but how many misses, even if it connects it’s not always clean. IMO getting closer ensures l more accuracies resulting in more kills.

The places where I shoot, the owners don’t care how long the shot is, or how good it looks on video, they just want the pests eradicated with no damage to the buildings, equipment, livestock or personal.

Shooting 0ver 300 rats, 100 pigeons 30 rabbits or 20 squirrels in a session is not uncommon here in the uk and 99.9% of that is done with a sub12fpe airgun.

Personally I would never consider a high power gun, particularly shooting slugs as a suitable choice for birds. The reasons being.
Muzzle report and pellet/slug impact it much louder and scares everything off for 1/2mile in every direction.
Then there is the cost, more air, more expensive ammunition and more stress on the gun causing more maintenance.

I have watched videos of long shots at 100 yards plus but how many misses, even if it connects it’s not always clean. IMO getting closer ensures l more accuracies resulting in more kills.

The places where I shoot, the owners don’t care how long the shot is, or how good it looks on video, they just want the pests eradicated with no damage to the buildings, equipment, livestock or personal.

Shooting 0ver 300 rats, 100 pigeons 30 rabbits or 20 squirrels in a session is not uncommon here in the uk and 99.9% of that is done with a sub12fpe airgun.

Some shots just stick with me.. .and your comments made me think of it again.....last summer I shot a Euro dove at 115-120yards. I've got steel hanging right there and this is at my home range (backyard) so pretty much have that distance dialed down. It was a broadside shot, went through both of the largest wing joints, and still had enough pass through energy to "TING" off the pipe fence another 25-35yards behind the dove. The projectile was a .20/18.9gr slug only going 875-880 at the muzzle, so something like 32fpe at the muzzle. Even at only 32fpe the retained energy of slugs, and their ability to simply icepick the quarry, REQUIRE that the shooter be cognizant of what's behind em.

A <20fpe pellet is a much safer option around livestock and buildings and farm equipment.

Some shots just stick with me.. .and your comments made me think of it again.....last summer I shot a Euro dove at 115-120yards. I've got steel hanging right there and this is at my home range (backyard) so pretty much have that distance dialed down. It was a broadside shot, went through both of the largest wing joints, and still had enough pass through energy to "TING" off the pipe fence another 25-35yards behind the dove. The projectile was a .20/18.9gr slug only going 875-880 at the muzzle, so something like 32fpe at the muzzle. Even at only 32fpe the retained energy of slugs, and their ability to simply icepick the quarry, REQUIRE that the shooter be cognizant of what's behind em.

A <20fpe pellet is a much safer option around livestock and buildings and farm equipment.
Similar reason why I won't use slugs on our dairy. Pellets are alot safer and I know they will lose steam quicker and not carry near the energy.

Reactions: bucketboy

Why so many rats?

Free range Chicken shed and pig pens, rats steal the feed. Waste food recycling plants, that turn scraps into compost.
Poison and traps are highly regulated around farms.
Makes me wonder if the dairy and hogs farms here in Wi. have these #s. Maybe I should ask around. Then again the thing that comes to mind is would they be open to it. Only 1 way to find out I guess.

Reactions: bucketboy
These are my low power guns. Both are around 18-19 fpe. The Prod had to be tuned up to that level, the P35-177 came at that level. The Prod came at about 13 fpe and I didn't like it at that level for squirrels. I undoubtedly could have placed the shots better but I get much better results at the current level. These guns are my preferred for back yard pesting, especially shots up into trees. They have fully adequate power but won't carry so far on a miss and rarely pass through. I still like my 30+ fpe guns and my 25 at about 50 fpe but they are mainly target guns around the house. A pest on the ground is OK but I try and avoid shots into the trees. The P35 gives me about 100 shots per fill. More than twice what I get on the P35-25.

Prod 1.jpg

P35-177 in mahogany stock.jpg

Reactions: SlimPlinkins
Yessss!!! Finally someone that speaks my language. Everything I have is turned down. I love mild mannered guns. Sure my car says it’ll go 100 but should you? Someone said they have their leishy classic tuned to 60Fpe. Mines at 28 and it’s snappy I can’t imagine 60. (Mines a .25)
That was me haha, close to 60fpe at 54fpe. It's snappy but it's dead nuts acurate past 50yds.