• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Low End Vs High End Bipods

I had a $440 plus dollar accutac that came with a used rifle purchase. I sold it to a member here and have never regretted it. My guess is that the bigger footprint and weight helps in bench rest, but I hunt so it was the opposite of what I needed. I do have rifles with noticable recoil so the brick like weight would probably be good for that .

Reactions: Massiemax
I have an Accu-Tac knock off and a real Accu-Tac, the knock off is smaller and not nearly as well made. I mainly shoot from a table and now use the real one and when I pest ground squirrels I also use the real one with leg extensions. The real one is larger, heavier but more stable with more accessories available. The knock off is great for it's price point.

Mostly you're buying a higher quality device - better fit and finish. It used to be that only the expensive 'pods had swivel tops, but now there are plenty of less expensive units that do (and still some that don't...). Spending reaches a point of diminishing returns though, where you can end up paying a lot more for a small improvement. In a few cases you're paying for a name (and maybe import-related costs), e.g. Parker-Hale. The expensive ones are usually more robust, but I think most guns lead a pretty gentle life, so that may not actually be that important.

GsT

I have 2 tall bipods (for sitting cross-legged) & one short 6"-9". None of which cost over $60. I hunt so I only have a second or fraction thereof to take the shot.
IF I shot competition I could see where a wide stance, more expensive one might provide better stability. For hunting, the cheaper ones provide what I need.

I had several Harris bipods on my PB’s and was happy with them. When I was working a ton of overtime I bought an Atlas and an Accutac. If I’m shooting from a bench I prefer the Accutac as it can really vary the height from pretty low when legs are angled forward to high position when at 90° and the legs are extended. I don’t worry about weight as I’m parked right at the bench.
Harris doesn’t have a pic attachment and my airguns are all pic so the Atlas and Accutac are preferred. To use a Harris I would have to use a sling swivel adapter and it’s shaky compared to pic rail because it doesn’t seat against stock like a gun with a typical sling swivel. Harris has been ised by armed forces wuite a bit though. I never cared for any of the knock offs of the three brands I went with buy once cry once. I don’t abuse my shooting gear so the knock offs probably would hold up fine though.

I have the cheapest one I could find that had s-lock (a must have imo) and a sling stud adaptor included. I think it's a knockoff of a Harris. I've removed the whole tensioning system and and can bolt it directly to the adaptor. So far it has worked decently fine although I've had to fix some stuff. I guess that proves it's quality. Not a deal-breaker to me.