Low End PCP for Friend

The Gauntlet is probably a bit heavy for her I suspect. The Benjamin Maximus is one I’ve been happy with, the synthetic stock makes it lightweight and it’s accurate. Downside is a smallish tank size. I also have a Beeman 2078A that will give 50 rounds of .177 consistently on two co2 cartridges. There is probably a lighter model in their lineup that would give good service.

Rick H.

You could do that with a CO2 paintball tank and a $80 drop block. Not sure how hard it is to get refills though. I fell down the pcp rabbit hole years ago and never looked back.
Only problem with that is that guns look horrible in my opinion set up that way, remember when the Raptor cams out and my thought was " I don't care how good of a gun it might be, with that look it will never make it into my house " :ROFLMAO:

Another vote for a Gamo Urban

(Seems like 25-50 shots at 20-30ft.lbs. With great accuracy
Easy to adjust power and easy to upgrade for better performance
Extra magazine went down in price and overall the urban is not too heavy or
expensive.)

Edit: extra magizine was on sale in .22 only at pyramid for $30 out of stock
Hate when they do that, on sale but not for sale

Last edited:
Only problem with that is that guns look horrible in my opinion set up that way, remember when the Raptor cams out and my thought was " I don't care how good of a gun it might be, with that look it will never make it into my house " :ROFLMAO:
I'm fine with the look. I have plenty of guns that are safe queens because they're too pretty to use. I can appreciate utility and function when it serves a purpose.

I have a friend that lives out in the country. She has a small plot, but has many rodents and pests around her. I showed her my PCP guns when she came over and asked if I could find her one. The problem is that she is retired, but still works cleaning homes and house sitting to supplement her income, so I am looking for a $500 or less gun (new or used) that I can get for her. I have a springer that I was going to give her, but she can't cock it. I have a scope and rings that I will give her so I can try and get something that has decent accuracy and shot count. I told her that she can bring it into town with her and I will use my compressor to fill it up as needed (there is no way she could pump a tank up manually). I was thinking the caliber should be .22 or .25 to keep her shot count up and the pellet cost down - clearly .22 would be better but she wants to get ride or armadillos and other larger pests. I have an extra bipod and tripod I will give her to use to see which she likes better (and will probably give that to her also). A regulated gun would be nice to help her get a consistent shot each time. I let her handle my guns to give her a feel for them and I found that the lighter the better for her. I will set the gun up and sight it in and get her the pellets/slugs and do the normal maintenance and cleaning for her. I'll let her start without a moderator and let her tell me if the sound is scaring her pests off before she can shoot them. I just want to give her something she can use to pest and not worry about anything else - unlike me! Here are some of the guns I was looking at:

AEA TAC 450 and Challenger Bullpup
Air Venturi Avenger
Aselkon MX7
Benjamín Marauder (a bit heavy)
BSA Scorpion SE (finding one over here may be a problem)
JTS Airacuda (close on the weight)
Umarex Gauntlet (2)
Walther Reign UXT

Thanks for the input. I'm sure there are many others, but I tried to go primarily on weight and size to keep it manageable for her.
This: JTS Airacuda (close on the weight)

First off, beginning my journey I did the Chaser/MrodAir CP2. Needless to say I went down the Rabbit hole. It has evolved as Ed has done. Endless fun to work on. I say that tuning wise. The gun has never broken down on me. It’s around 1k CHP in and happy all around. Wes at Airgunarchery is one of the go to guys getting the best out of the platform. Along with Terry at BuckRail and Froggysairgun. Both on Etsy. I have not gone the bottle route as a couple members that did report unpredictable shot strings. Regardless, solid, light, simple to use. 20-30 good shots on an easily changeable cheap CO2 cart. Raccoons at 25 yards are doable with good shot placement.

Enough preaching. I have better (more expensive) things these days, but will never let go of that one. After 100+ Tree rats I will not hesitate to recommend nor grab it to deal with a pest.

EDIT: The only Dark Horse I can think of is a Kral NP-03. They are sold out here in the US but it’s a lot of gun for the $. Pic is mid transformation.

8AA11DA2-D920-4C8D-B14D-57D8BB349DD9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mascot1 and EdinGa
I went with a .25 caliber Avenger bullpup. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. Of course after I bought it I got an offer from a member and another went on sale (DOH). I took it out to the range today to site it in today. I used H&N Baracuda Hunter Extremes @ 28.24 gr. She won't be target shooting at all and I've had good luck with these on pests in the past. They mushroom nicely. I gave her my MTC Viper Connect 3x12x32. The upper target top grouping was after ranging the scope down from 100 yards back to 20. Then I moved to the lower target and moved the center over. Then I went back up to the top target for the center grouping which was the full magazine - 8 rnds. The one shot at the 8 on the lower target was planned! I have a moderator coming in from Buck Rail so I was shooting this as it came. Not backyard friendly by itself in .25, but she is in the country. I'll add the moderator tomorrow and take a few test shots to see if the POI moves with it. I have found that for hunting, the less the report, the better - period! The trigger pull was actually quite good out of the box. I did not measure it but It was too heavy as it seems most come on the heavier side. I'll also add the FX chrony tomorrow and get a speed reading. I'm guessing at some of the 50 yard shots I made that it was in the 900+ range. Also I shot 30 rounds without losing velocity (from sight only) so if she's shooting at 10 yards she should get about 40-45 before needing a fill. I'm actually very pleased overall with the gun. I'm also going to give her one of my Primos trigger stick bipods to have to help her out. She'll pick it up tomorrow and then be back on Wednesday so I should get a good report. I'll get her to take an pics of her pesting activities to post!

IMG_3576.JPG

Looks like you made a good choice.

I did not realize that the avenger was pretty light at 6.4lbs. I must have been thinking of the wood version at 7lbs. Plus seems like a lot of shots for a .25 so again you did good with the avenger by utilizing its high air capacity.

Also that buck rail seems like a good and affordable addition look forward to any updates hope it all works out.