Loving the Akela and new appreciation for my Hawke AM30 SF Compact

I finally was able to source a nice used Akela from a forum member here on AGN.

The bull pup design is relatively new to me,. and I was itching for a more compact version of the Kratos which I have really enjoyed, so the Akela was a no brainer. Being an old fart, I have always preferred the classic sporter style rifles, but I am really enjoying this air rifle and shooting it I have now have finally grown an appreciation for the bullpup design.

Setting it up with a scope has had it's challenges,. particularly for someone un-schooled on the differences from the sporter rifle stocks.. I learned a few things. Not the least of which, is the fact that the scope I had SO much trouble setting up on my R9, was in fact perfect, perhaps even MADE for a bullpup like the Akela.

Quick rewind, based on some forgotten research, when I ordered my R9 I picked up a Hawke AirMax 30 SF Compact scope (4-16x44) This proved to be a real problem to mount on the R9 with the proper eye relief as the specs I had read stated 3" eye relief. (really, on Hawke's own website even; https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-30-sf-compact-4-16x44-amx-ir.html )

This is simply not true. This scope (at least mine) has closer to 1" At 3" it's unusable. I assume this is due to the "compact" nature fo this design. Strange that Hawke doesn't have this spec accurately reported. On the R9 mounting it back far enough to meet my eye 1: away required some very fiddly mounting stuff in between. This major discrepancy has had me doubting all Hawke scopes.

Back to the Akela, I had a Cabellas Covenant 4 set aside for the Akela, but low and behold, here I am with the short spacing between the "cheek piece" (really it doesn't have one) and the rail, I am having to do the exact opposite I did with the R9 and Hawke, ie: pushing it so far forward it's ludicrous! Plus the scope just seemed HUGE on the little Akela.

Well I gave up and grabbed the Hawke off the R9, and this has proven to be an EXCELLENT combo. The 1" eye relief works perfectly, and I get a pretty serious magnification on the Akela while keeping a compact sized scope. It's working very well.

You can see just how close the scopes occular is mounted to where one's eye would be, and yet even with this short eye relief the mounts are quite forward on the rail, and the scope itself within the mounts is as far forward as it will go. (With the Covenant 4, the scope was so far forward it was just silly and ungainly.)

20210919_150015.1632079034.jpg
20210919_150203.1632079035.jpg
20210919_150147.1632079035.jpg

Sighting in took a few shots before I was just making big one hole bigger. As always, it seems these Benjy rifles really like the Crosman Premier domes :) In the upper left minitarget you can see the eventual drop in point of aim. This was the 3rd and 4th magazine. After 4 magazines she still has 2,000 psi almost exactly on the manometer. So 1,000psi got me 48 shots! Not bad :)

Great rifle, just make sure you find the right kind of scope for a good "fit" for you and the rifle.

I can relate to that scope issue. I had to tilt my head way to the right to see through it. I see you took your cheek riser off. So did I and I put a weaver rail cover on it that is real low and makes it more comfortable. But in my case I had to put a scope riser on it too. But I finally got it to where it’s comfortable to shoot now. Now all that I want to get is a barrel band for it. I can’t lean it up against the wall or it’ll Change the POI.There was some people that were making 3-D printed ones but I also heard that one of the Kral Rifle barrel bands will fit. I think it was the Puncher breaker.But not sure though.

I'm loving my Akela as well. I've only had it a few weeks, but I am very impressed with the accuracy and overall design. I have one of those 3D printed bands found here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124799890883

and it works well. I'd love to get one of the Kral bands, but they've been sold out everywhere for a while. Everything I've fed it has shot very well, and I tried some of the 17.5 Nielsen slugs today and they group well out to 35 yards. I haven't tried farther with those slugs yet, but for me, the Akela is mostly a 50 yard and under gun. I am primarily shooting the .22 Hades and JSB 18's and that's what I have the gun tuned for. I cut one coil off the spring and have it totally backed out, and with the power adjuster at about 2/3's the Hades are going 890 fps, and it also shoots the JSB 18's and Crosman Premiers without touching a thing at almost the same POI. If I open the power wheel all the way, the Nielsen 17.5's are going 900ish, and just 1.5 MOA right POI.

The bullpup design can be tough to get good eye position, but I am a fan of these rings because they give a lot of flexibility with scope mounting position, and they're high enough for the bullpup configuration without being too high; I am able to still use the stock cheek piece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089QVYWDB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will continue to get to know the gun and make little tweaks to it, but I think it's a great value, and a darn fine shooter.