FX Love my M3

The day FX announced the M3 I pre ordered it.

I have never been disappointed with it !

I have added the power block and tungsten hammer weight and a few bolt on accessories to make it a long range prairie dog shooting rifle.

View attachment 446031

End of the day, the main thing is that if you are happy with your gun, it's the best thing. 👌

One day and 30 yards both are not enough to conclude anything.

Increase the distance to 60 yards, give jerks to the gun, then store it for a few days and again test it at 60 yards
My Air Arms S510 and my daystate wolverine B hilite have poi shift. Marauders are notorious for poi shift and there are a few mods created to try and limit or stop it. Many air guns experience poi shift. My BSA R10 and scorpion have had poi shifts. Firearms can have poi shift. I have 4 FX rifles 2 are Impacts 2 are Crown MK2. I have never owned a pcp that didnt have poi shift at some point. I have never owned a pcp that had poi shift bad enough to really matter. I live where you can have 100 degree temp changes in 2 days and you can go from 3200 feet to 7,000 feet in an hour. I always double check zero unless I am shooting on my property and I have not subjected the pcp to extreme temp changes or elevation. Watch videos of the britts and they always say they check zero before going on a hunt or target shooting no matter the pcp they are using.

Other people may have different experiences but my FX rifles dont act any different than any of my other pcp rifles.

Good luck you win the lottery here.

Not the ordinary users but experienced tuners have experienced POI shift in Impact specially with liner system.

I said 60 yards so that things could be a bit more clear.

Sitting on benchrest, not much of an issue, just a couple of clicks.

Outside in the woods in jeep and then getting back and test its zero, a lot of users are complaining POI shift.

Don't take me wrong. FX Impact is one if my favourite guns.

What modifications I have done to my Impact, including heavier upper plate and a solid barrel, gun is fine now. After I reasonably made the barrel free floating, all issues vanished.

Just to call a spade a spade.

Bhaur
Just to put this out there, I watch all your M3 videos and am envious of your skills. That being said I want to add that I have always intalled the carbon fiber liner before I've even shot any of the FX guns I've owned. I also have an Airmaks Backbone on my M3.

With all that I believe there are several reasons for the varied opinions at extreme ends regarding the M3. I don't think it's an angel sent from Heaven nor do I think it's the spawn of Satan as some will have you believe. It does have issues that I think could easily be improved such as the solid backbone and stiffer barrel system.

There are several types of people out in internet land:
Those that just flat out hate FX and will never say or think otherwise.
Those that just flat out love FX and will never say or think otherwise.
Those that haven't taken the time to learn the rifle and how to tune, especially the balance between the variables available within each rifle.
Those that received a lemon.
Those that want people to believe it takes an expert to tune so they can tout themselves as experts
Those that want people to believe the M3 is the best ever produced so they can sell more.
Those that just like their FX and think it shoots accurately and consistently.

FYI I do hunt with mine......

I’m with @Bhaur with this one, I am certain there are some awesome impacts around ( I am pleased you are happy with yours) but I am positive there are some that are absolutely awful ones also.

The question I have, if the three guns pictured above were so good why have they all been fitted with aftermarket stiffening rails, barrel stiffeners and shroud supports? That’s not “tuning” they were fitted correct a flaw in the design.

And yes, the groups illustrated above good but they are not exceptional, to be honest that’s the sort of group I would expect from any of my guns at those distances and I am only able to shoot at sub12fpe and while I have tuned my guns to improve consistency, shot count, accuracy , smoothness and noise, I have never found a need to stiffen them up to rectify poi shift.

I am not an impact hater otherwise I would have never bought one, I don’t regret buying it and I don’t regret selling it but I definitely won’t buy another ( or any other fx module rifles either) there are too many potential points of failure for me to have confidence in them.

Enjoy

Bb

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon and mubhaur
Listen buddy! FX, especially Impacts are TERRIBLE! Flexy, POI shift, a million possible leaks, too many adjustments and many other reasons! Impacts are so bad they should be sold off cheap while you can! Just let me know when you post yours for sale though.
I totally agree. I will sell you mine, I have a little more than a tin of pellets through it.

I haven't shot my M3 in a couple months as I've been occupied with my powder burners for deer season . I took the M3 out the case today and it was still at the exact amount of air it had when I cased it up. I topped it off with air and shot it some on my range.....I shot a full clip at 50 yards at one bullseye with unsorted pellets 33.95.... from the first shot to the last it made a nice hole in the target. I've noticed some of the FX haters lately ragging on the Impact but the fact is, it's a hell of a gun when you learn to tune it properly. When I first got it, I will admit it was aggravating trying to get it dialed in as I didn't know what the hell I was doing.... but once I finally learned how to set it up properly, it's Awesome now.....:)

View attachment 445854

View attachment 445856
Your first shot probably started after the 10th shot

• Haha
Reactions: L.Leon
I had an Impact MkI that I upgraded with 720 power plenum and block, huma reg, etc. However, it was a nightmare chasing leaks and changing out o rings, etc. I also experienced a lot of 1-3 shot fps variations after sitting for a day sometimes less (almost 25 fps less) until the valve rod seal loosened up. It did shoot well once it got going but dealing with all the little o rings in the reg housing, valve rod seal, plenum to receiver and all the screws needed to take down and assemble again wore me out. She has been retired but I am glad you are enjoying yours.

Why should you be any different. It is a fact that if the fx sits for an hour or more your first few shots will be off. First hand experience, there is a video that explains this. The truth shall set you free.
Hey, I was looking through your posts and came across you deleting your first reg, did that solve the problem? WOW could you explain how you did that, parts ordered and such,if it would not be a problem. I think that could have solved the issue I was referring too. I will be willing to do this also. I also learned how to tune the fx and got it pretty dead nuts accurate, but those first several shots kind of broke my spirit.

Hey, I was looking through your posts and came across you deleting your first reg, did that solve the problem? WOW could you explain how you did that, parts ordered and such,if it would not be a problem. I think that could have solved the issue I was referring too. I will be willing to do this also. I also learned how to tune the fx and got it pretty dead nuts accurate, but those first several shots kind of broke my spirit.
I did delete the first reg. as I was having a problem with the POI shift when I first got mine. I used the delete fitting from Saber Tactical, I think it was like 35.00, the first reg. is inside the fitting that the bottle screws on to, I just removed that fitting and installed the one from Saber Tactical. I also bought the carbon fiber stiffening sleeve for the liner that fits over the liner and then fits inside the liner housing, I JB welded it to the liner and then re-installed it into the barrel housing. I then installed the carbon fiber barrel tensioner that goes over the barrel housing. I removed the rear cone from the barrel shroud, and I machined the cone on one of my lathes to fit over the carbon fiber tensioner sleeve so I could still use the factory shroud. After doing that I started from step one re-tuning the rifle....I set the second reg. to 90 bar and started working up to get the 33.95 pellets shooting around 900fps....I ended up with the second reg. set at 115 bar and the rifle was shooting full mag groups the size of a nickel at 50 yards. I actually did a sort of experiment over a several week period just to confirm that I was not having any more POI shift on the first shot. I would let the rifle sit for a week at a time and then take it on my backyard range and shoot a clip full, over several weeks of doing this...every time the first shot was dead center in the bull and I have never had any more POI problems....I also have never changed any of the settings on it since. I had read about the stiction problems some were having but I have not had any more problems with mine. I think that deleting that first reg. and stiffening the barrel and using a modest 115 bar on the second reg. to get the 900 fps solved my POI problems. In my opinion I think too many people are hung up trying to get the most power and fps that they can from these rifles and that may be causing a lot of the problems.... I've got some pics of the barrel shroud etc. that I did somewhere, if I can find them I'll post them on here. Here's the only pic I could find of that cone on the shroud, I had to heat it up with a heat gun to remove it from the shroud.

IMG_4881 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: aklonewolf
I did delete the first reg. as I was having a problem with the POI shift when I first got mine. I used the delete fitting from Saber Tactical, I think it was like 35.00, the first reg. is inside the fitting that the bottle screws on to, I just removed that fitting and installed the one from Saber Tactical. I also bought the carbon fiber stiffening sleeve for the liner that fits over the liner and then fits inside the liner housing, I JB welded it to the liner and then re-installed it into the barrel housing. I then installed the carbon fiber barrel tensioner that goes over the barrel housing. I removed the rear cone from the barrel shroud, and I machined the cone on one of my lathes to fit over the carbon fiber tensioner sleeve so I could still use the factory shroud. After doing that I started from step one re-tuning the rifle....I set the second reg. to 90 bar and started working up to get the 33.95 pellets shooting around 900fps....I ended up with the second reg. set at 115 bar and the rifle was shooting full mag groups the size of a nickel at 50 yards. I actually did a sort of experiment over a several week period just to confirm that I was not having any more POI shift on the first shot. I would let the rifle sit for a week at a time and then take it on my backyard range and shoot a clip full, over several weeks of doing this...every time the first shot was dead center in the bull and I have never had any more POI problems....I also have never changed any of the settings on it since. I had read about the stiction problems some were having but I have not had any more problems with mine. I think that deleting that first reg. and stiffening the barrel and using a modest 115 bar on the second reg. to get the 900 fps solved my POI problems. In my opinion I think too many people are hung up trying to get the most power and fps that they can from these rifles and that may be causing a lot of the problems.... I've got some pics of the barrel shroud etc. that I did somewhere, if I can find them I'll post them on here. Here's the only pic I could find of that cone on the shroud, I had to heat it up with a heat gun to remove it from the shroud.

View attachment 446278
I am genuinely pleased that you love your impact and I believe you when you say that your gun is now consistent and accurate but you have spent a lot of time and more to the point, a lot of money on upgrades to solve your initial problems. These same problems are widely reported, personally I don’t think this is acceptable on a gun costing the thick end of €2000.
I am not someone who chases power, I am capable of turning, modifying and optimising a gun but I was simply not prepared to spend more money on what was already my most expensive gun so that it could possibly match my other (cheaper) guns in terms of accuracy and consistency, even if I did, it would never be able to compete in either reliability and far more importantly my confidence using it.

Also, this is a personal, subjective observation, I didn’t really find it that comfortable to hold and shoot while the rattles and twang near my ear on every shot drove me bonkers.

I would be lying if I said all impacts have issues but I would also be lying if I said they didn’t.

Bb

I am genuinely pleased that you love your impact and I believe you when you say that your gun is now consistent and accurate but you have spent a lot of time and more to the point, a lot of money on upgrades to solve your initial problems. These same problems are widely reported, personally I don’t think this is acceptable on a gun costing the thick end of €2000.
I am not someone who chases power, I am capable of turning, modifying and optimising a gun but I was simply not prepared to spend more money on what was already my most expensive gun so that it could possibly match my other (cheaper) guns in terms of accuracy and consistency, even if I did, it would never be able to compete in either reliability and far more importantly my confidence using it.

Also, this is a personal, subjective observation, I didn’t really find it that comfortable to hold and shoot while the rattles and twang near my ear on every shot drove me bonkers.

I would be lying if I said all impacts have issues but I would also be lying if I said they didn’t.

Bb
Well, in short nothing is perfect. If taken care of ,i would say most are great. Humans putting things together, human make mistakes that can show later on. If all good from the factory they should work, tune it and shoot it. I have yet to get a single FX rifle that will not shoot lights out. There are plenty out there that get a bad name due to the owner just cannot shoot well. No stiffeners on my rifles, the most i do is a bipod extension. I am a set and forget guy also. Those who like to play with regulators should also know how to properly replace orings, because they go bad when you start creating friction under pressure. No stiffeners here, both of these tools do exactly what they are asked every time, stack slugs and pellets.

20240311_134526.jpg

20240311_134353.jpg

Bb
I totally understand your logic.....for me, it's not a real problem as I enjoy working on any kind of gun. I used to be into rimfire benchrest shooting, and I got into building my own rifles and was also building rifles for others. I finally got out of it as the match grade ammo got to be a unicorn hunt every time I needed more and also buying a case of that ammo was like buying a new high-end air rifle and I'm not a rich person....:)

Reactions: bucketboy
The M3 "can"
I haven't shot my M3 in a couple months as I've been occupied with my powder burners for deer season . I took the M3 out the case today and it was still at the exact amount of air it had when I cased it up. I topped it off with air and shot it some on my range.....I shot a full clip at 50 yards at one bullseye with unsorted pellets 33.95.... from the first shot to the last it made a nice hole in the target. I've noticed some of the FX haters lately ragging on the Impact but the fact is, it's a hell of a gun when you learn to tune it properly. When I first got it, I will admit it was aggravating trying to get it dialed in as I didn't know what the hell I was doing.... but once I finally learned how to set it up properly, it's Awesome now.....:)

View attachment 445854

View attachment 445856
The M3 "Can" produce some excellent accuracy.... BUT ! in general it is far far from consistent.

A lot here shoot groups at very close distances, which in general does not show up just just how inconsistent the M3 "can" be.
I do not shoot my M3 at anything under 100yds in general..

The M3 "can" be a great gun, but it does take a lot of work..

M3.jpg

M3-IMPACT-300YDS-28.5-NSA-@.jpg

Reactions: bucketboy

View attachment 446278
I will order one from saber tactical. The M3 is sweet looking. I will be in touch when everything is said and done with. Thank you DBlue.

Reactions: DBlue