• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lots to learn with the Springer

Learning how to shoot the Diana 48 decently is going to take some time. 
The whole concept of letting the rifle do what it wants is new to me. 
I can see with the loose hold that trigger control will be critical to having some success. 
Even though it doesn’t look like it, I did a little better today at 36 yards.

I’m shootings H&N 18s. I read somewhere that lighter pellets often do better in a Springer. Is there any truth to that? 

I added a cheap cheek piece to the gun and it helps me get better eye alignment with the scope
7456C844-5014-45B3-9C78-CDFA523D35F5.1630456157.jpeg
6915703B-7058-4F2A-9423-0171BE335DF6.1630456196.jpeg
B3649A34-1E75-4650-9DC4-0DB311F81686.1630456274.jpeg

I have found in my higher power springers,such as yours heavier pellets work better,that said you may get better results going to 15 -13.5 grains..

Your shooting is good,if your resting it try no pressure on the forearm .

Cradle the stock when shooting from a bench... when holding the springer ,not too tight of loose

I have the model 52,same a a 48,a powerful and accurate springer it is.

I use a one piece 10 degree mount for the scope....

...you are getting off to a real good start...

BTW,that model of springer is one of my most powerful.

If your resting the rifle, be sure the rests are soft, nothing hard or stiff. I found blocks of closed cell foam like the black foam in your gun case works best. A coat or sweatshirt wrapped into a ball also works. Make sure your rest is slippery, the rifle should be able to glide front to rear with ease on a slippery rest. Then try modifying your hold until you get your smallest groups. Most springers like lighter pellets until you get into nagnum rifles which the 48 falls into. Here these guns normall prefer heavier but mabey not the heaviest. You going to have to experiment with weights and types, but I can be reasonably certain the round head will be the most accurate just finding the right weight and manufacturer will be the key. When switching pellets it might help to pull a patch thru the barrel before trying a different pellet. Then take 10 or so shots before shooting for record. Springers have a tendancy to want to settle in when a different pellet is used. While all this sounds like work, most of us look at this as part of the fun !!!

I rest the rifle on a large folded bath towel with the trigger guard hanging off. Nothing fancy. The butt only supported by the gun against my shoulder and a light grip around the wrist with a thumb up hold where I sort of pinch the trigger between thumb and pointer. Are you using the sensitive pad on the tip of your finger? I do. I do not touch the forearm. 

I just shot this a few evenings ago with a Theoben Sirocco .177. 5 pellets on top of a previous hole I aimed at. .245 ctc at 25 yards. RWS Superdomes were the first thing I saw on the shelf. I hadn't shot this rifle for a very long time. I've had it 33 years. Probably shot 25 or 30 shots that session including zeroing a scope on it.

IMG_3982.1630545528.JPG

And this with a heavy recoiling Webley Tomahawk .25 last week. 4 shots and one pulled to the side. .300 ctc 25 yards. And I don't even shoot very much lately. Only shot this gun a few times. Had it a month or two. I had to modify the stock and refinish it. I was zeroing a new scope. Only took 10 or 12 shots to zero.

IMG_39081.1630545677.JPG

You have to be in a relaxed frame of mind and concentrate.

Generally the pellet that shoots the smoothest is probably going to be the most accurate in your Springer

This is most likely because the pellet that shoots the smoothest is taking the most energy away from the system and that leaves less energy to bounce the rifle around anyway that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

If you test it with a number of different pellets you'll find a weight that the rifle tends to like usually on a model 48 or 460 which is the same power plant you probably are going to see that it likes a middle to heavyweight pellet rather than a light pellet

Those groups that you posted are not bad at all for 36 yards they're quite good really

Please pardon the crappy grammar I'm on my phone and I just talk to it