Lots of lead dust(?!)

I picked up a Crown last month, my first new airgun in several years. I've owned maybe 10 different airguns over the years, multipump, springers, and a few PCP. So I'm not new to airguns.

I was switching between the standard barrel liner and heavy slug liner when I realized everything inside the shroud was coated in ultra fine silverish dust - lead. It came off on my fingers. I had a few hundred rounds at most. I was testing samples of various FX, H&N, NSA, JSB pellets and slugs. It was hard to not get it on everything, which of course means over time it will get into my body. I have enough health hazards I don't need lead poisoning.

I've never witnessed that much lead dust in my life before - and I need to stop it now - any suggestions where to begin? Is one of those brands known for being dirty?

• Sad
Reactions: silvershooter589
The shroud design of the superlite barrels lends itself to decent lead dust gathering. This is increased by the use of slugs that have a larger bearing surface on the barrel, which will leave more dust. Good news is, most of what you’re seeing isn’t actually lead dust, but the protective coating they use on pellets and slugs to prevent them from oxidizing while in the tin. It’s mostly graphite from my understanding, but there may be small traces of lead dust in there too just from the rifling.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, unless you’re planning to constantly remove the shroud for some reason.

The shroud design of the superlite barrels lends itself to decent lead dust gathering. This is increased by the use of slugs that have a larger bearing surface on the barrel, which will leave more dust. Good news is, most of what you’re seeing isn’t actually lead dust, but the protective coating they use on pellets and slugs to prevent them from oxidizing while in the tin. It’s mostly graphite from my understanding, but there may be small traces of lead dust in there too just from the rifling.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, unless you’re planning to constantly remove the shroud for some reason.
OK that would explain a lot because I only dabbled in slugs before and in my other PCP gun I can't open up the moderator. The stuff was uniformly very fine like dust and not lead flakes.

I will not be removing the shroud often because I ordered a spare shroud assembly. Then I'll have a complete barrel assembly for slugs and pellets.

I'm half tempted to smear a bunch of it on a sheet of paper and see if the PMI gun at work will tell me how much is carbon vs. lead.

Reactions: beerthief
dgeesaman,
Noticed the same thing on removing my JTS Airacuda Max .25 shroud. Never seen anything like it in any of my other airguns. Removed all, more appeared, after additional shooting. Must be related to baffle venting from muzzle to end of shroud, with some systems expelling it while others direct it back to the shroud. WM

Reactions: Firewalker
This is certainly interesting. Lapping the bore may reduce the amount of dust you're finding. A HEPA vac would be a good way to deal with it.

If lead exposure is a deep concern, you can always have your blood tested for lead content and change your practices if necessary.

Lead doesn't float around like asbestos does, so aireborne it's a lot less of a hazard. The vast majority of people I've encountered with elevated blood lead were (accidentally) consuming it orally. Wash your hands after handling any of that and you should be good to go.

Luck,

J~

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
I work in the ammunition industry and I deal with lead daily for the last 23 years. I pressure test in an enclosed room thats ventilated but I handle the spent cartridges that have lead residue from primer compound and I shoot firearms almost daily again getting residue from the cartridge and the parts of the firearm on my hands and clothing. I handle lead bullets by the thousands on a daily basis while loading the ammunition as well. I never have elevated lead levels in my blood and I actually have lower than the normal average. One thing that will give you elevated levels quickly is to handle lead and have lead residue on your hands if you are a smoker. You transfer that residue to the cigarette and then inhale the lead vapor as you burn it on the cigarette. Wash your hands thoroughly and any part of your body that was exposed. Dont wear clothing that could have lead residue on it longer than needed. It wont be a big deal to change clothes after you get done working and take a shower. Lead residue wont leach into your body thru your skin so fast that you need to immediately change cloths under normal conditions and exposure. Inhaling lead vapor is much worse than handling lead with your bare hands as long as you have normal hygiene. If you dont wash your hands then yes you can have elevated levels of lead if you handle it enough especially if you are a smoker or like to eat your sandwich with dirty hands😉

I think madeintheuk already answered the question: the silvery residue is probably dry (graphite) and wet (oil) lubricant that blew off the slugs. Basically anti-seize.

I'm sure there were a few lead shavings in the mix but the vast majority of the filth was those lubricants. Had that all been lead it would have been very risky.

I will continue to observe safe lead handling practices, and I do not smoke. I have regular blood tests done for other reasons and I may ask them to include a heavy metals assay or something since I do what I do.

Reactions: Treefrog
I work in the ammunition industry and I deal with lead daily for the last 23 years. I pressure test in an enclosed room thats ventilated but I handle the spent cartridges that have lead residue from primer compound and I shoot firearms almost daily again getting residue from the cartridge and the parts of the firearm on my hands and clothing. I handle lead bullets by the thousands on a daily basis while loading the ammunition as well. I never have elevated lead levels in my blood and I actually have lower than the normal average. One thing that will give you elevated levels quickly is to handle lead and have lead residue on your hands if you are a smoker. You transfer that residue to the cigarette and then inhale the lead vapor as you burn it on the cigarette. Wash your hands thoroughly and any part of your body that was exposed. Dont wear clothing that could have lead residue on it longer than needed. It wont be a big deal to change clothes after you get done working and take a shower. Lead residue wont leach into your body thru your skin so fast that you need to immediately change cloths under normal conditions and exposure. Inhaling lead vapor is much worse than handling lead with your bare hands as long as you have normal hygiene. If you dont wash your hands then yes you can have elevated levels of lead if you handle it enough especially if you are a smoker or like to eat your sandwich with dirty hands😉
the problem with heavy metals is that they accumulate in tissues thus blood levels are meaningless