Lothar Walther barrel question/inquiry

Nation, 

I've noticed on the Lothar Walther website, something that is odd, but yet it intrigues me. 

I've discovered, whilst purchasing a few barrels for testing (.177 in particular), I've noticed something that is on their website that I have not noticed before.

I see that they have smoothbore no choke, and smoothbore choked barrels. 

Being that we (shooters looking for the best barrel/twist/pellet/slug combination), generally use rifled barrels of one form or another. Choked, no choke, poly, 17.7 twist, 16 twist, 20 twist, 36 twist, all would be logical to try, and I've tried a very large portion of all the above styles. 

So, why would anyone want a smoothbore barrel, regardless if it's choked or not, in their quest for superior accuracy? Why would Lothar Walther even produce a smoothbore barrel, when most of us can agree that rifling of some sort, is the key to accuracy?

What say you?

It's hard for me to fathom why they would even produce a smoothbore barrel, in my eyes, this would be almost useless. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Corny,

I wouldn't think that would be a viable option, only because the bore of the smoothbore LW barrels dimensions are almost the same diameter as the depth of the grooves for a rifled barrel. You'd take off too much metal for it to work. 

Dizzums,

The bore diameter would be too small for an arrow to fit, even the smallest ones, and the outside diameter of the barrel is too large for any arrow to slip over.

Brent, Scott,

I was thinking that, it was obvious, I didn't mention it. Didn't think there would be a big market for it, though. Some countries not allowing rifled barrels is also a viable reason, didn't think of that.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

As I understand it, in the way-way back times many airguns were smooth bore and the waisted pellet design was made for smoothbores! These pellets were shot at 10 meters and the waisted design created drag stabilization. The pellets were squatter than most of our heavy stuff today, which the longer pellet benefits from twist stabilization. Or something like that.

Also, airgun rifling is different from firearms rifling which usually has deeper grooves. So a 100+ years ago, the typical round ball would get air blow by. So a smooth barrel would seal better, and a waisted pellet was the next progression to better air sealing.

I believe it was BSA would first developed a proper rifled airgun barrel (but I could be wrong).

As I understand it, in the way-way back times many airguns were smooth bore and the waisted pellet design was made for smoothbores! These pellets were shot at 10 meters and the waisted design created drag stabilization. The pellets were squatter than most of our heavy stuff today, which the longer pellet benefits from twist stabilization. Or something like that.

Also, airgun rifling is different from firearms rifling which usually has deeper grooves. So a 100+ years ago, the typical round ball would get air blow by. So a smooth barrel would seal better, and a waisted pellet was the next progression to better air sealing.

I believe it was BSA would first developed a proper rifled airgun barrel (but I could be wrong).
Same with airsoft. All smooth bore. And I can hit people at 200' with a .40 gram bb. I'm looking at making a 2100 with a smooth bore barrel. I wish there were some higher power better built BB guns. The Diana BB rifle looks great but its for larger diameter bbs. Not our usual crosmam daisys.

Same with airsoft. All smooth bore. And I can hit people at 200' with a .40 gram bb. I'm looking at making a 2100 with a smooth bore barrel. I wish there were some higher power better built BB guns. The Diana BB rifle looks great but its for larger diameter bbs. Not our usual crosmam daisys.
Interesting but I'm not sure I'd want to move a steel BB too fast. I think the potentiality would be greater for a ricochet over a lead round.

Have you looked into the various 4.4mm lead rounds used in zimmerschuetzen rifles? There is also 4.5mm lead rounds from Gamo.

Interesting but I'm not sure I'd want to move a steel BB too fast. I think the potentiality would be greater for a ricochet over a lead round.

Have you looked into the various 4.4mm lead rounds used in zimmerschuetzen rifles? There is also 4.5mm lead rounds from Gamo.
Dirt bags for backstop. No ricochet. Most multi pump bb guns are around 600fps. This would be around 800fps so should still be stable flight. I just wish they'd maked a nice quality bb gun instead of cheap ones. Think red Ryder but everything better quality with more power. Ill probably buy one of the upgraded ones they sell on ebay. $120 upgraded internals. 385-400 actual fps. But sadly still in a cheap red rider body.

In the Netherland's smooth bore air rifles were used for dart shooting, it was a popular indoor competition sport.

I once bought a Diana, unseen. Once delivered it had a smooth bore. Ex competition dart shooter, the former owner later informed me.

Lesson learnt.
I was going to say Dart or Sabot, like the Smooth bore on an M1A1 Abrams Tank, shoots a Sabot depleted uranium Arrow Dart......