Lost our range!

Would have been much better for all who are true air gunners IF all who used the range would have signed in and actually PAID when they used the range!! Then the revenue backed by signatures in the book may have shown it is a worthwhile addition to the rest of the range. Several shooters there consistently would show up and shoot for extended periods and would hardly if ever pay. Just another case of bad apples and spoiling the whole bunch. Now some of these same exact people are pissed off they do not have some where to go to continue to steal from and ruin the facility which has been around for many years.
Dude, you have hammered this point home several times in this thread, seemingly directed at joekrooz. - his posts specifically. I heard from inside source the main issue was dickheads blasting concrete blocks with 45 cal ammo at 10-15 yards. Shooting up bunches of empty bottles and leaving all the broken glass, lastly, a recent episode where someone shot up a bunch of ketchup bottles - full ones, and left it. The difference in fee airgun versus rifle was piss change. I never saw more than 3 guys when I was there , so it was $45 gross for the day. Like they would really miss that.

I agree, I would have been willing to even buy year membership. As for shooting at calverton, you may have same access to rifle range at brookhaven, not sure how much ball busting will occur. Sigh, the search continues as I have had several generous offers such as yours, but I'm limited to tues-thurs availability. Let me know how it is though.
Just saw Calverton is only open Saturday and Sunday during February, bummer. Don’t want to shoot at Brookhaven, ROs are not very friendly from what I hear but they do have a job to do keeping things safe.
I wish one of my shooting buddies would just buy some acreage for us to shoot on, I’ll bring drinks and snacks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rangur1
I just gained another range . :cool:
My oldest niece are moving out of the house they moved into 2-3 years ago, to another smaller but much better ( renovated house )
Which have 2 X as much land attached to it.
So there should be plenty room for her 2 horses and Uncle slinging lead.

As a +, this is not very far from where my old mother live, and where my friend live, so all in all a great win for me as before i would have to drive for over a hour pretty much in the opposite direction of where everyone else in the family live, to visit my niece.

I have already been Shanghaied for painting, and i am sure more are to come as Uncle are a nice guy and unfamiliar with the use of the word no.

In case you just know the town, or the term are just used in one of the English speaking worlds.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghaiing

Would have been much better for all who are true air gunners IF all who used the range would have signed in and actually PAID when they used the range!! Then the revenue backed by signatures in the book may have shown it is a worthwhile addition to the rest of the range. Several shooters there consistently would show up and shoot for extended periods and would hardly if ever pay. Just another case of bad apples and spoiling the whole bunch. Now some of these same exact people are pissed off they do not have some where to go to continue to steal from and ruin the facility which has been around for many years.
Pretty sure the new owners have plans for that piece of land. The prev owner never did a bit of upgrades in the 6 or 7 years I’ve been going there except for emptying the garbage and cutting the grass a couple times a year. Every time I went there I wondered if the roof was going to fall down on me. The airgun range probably only brought in less than a hundred bucks a week. I think money was a small part of the new owners decision as well as the lack of respect by some who used it. I have a feeling the new owner is going to turn the place around, unfortunately I don’t think airgunners are in the plan. Im thinking about going there to talk to new owners, can’t hurt. Hell I’d be willing to pay $30 or $40 for the day just to be able to shoot with airgunners only.

Reactions: L.Leon and rangur1
I just gained another range . :cool:
My oldest niece are moving out of the house they moved into 2-3 years ago, to another smaller but much better ( renovated house )
Which have 2 X as much land attached to it.
So there should be plenty room for her 2 horses and Uncle slinging lead.

As a +, this is not very far from where my old mother live, and where my friend live, so all in all a great win for me as before i would have to drive for over a hour pretty much in the opposite direction of where everyone else in the family live, to visit my niece.

I have already been Shanghaied for painting, and i am sure more are to come as Uncle are a nice guy and unfamiliar with the use of the word no.

In case you just know the town, or the term are just used in one of the English speaking worlds.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghaiing
If had to do it over again, I would buy a house situated on a few acres where I could build a personal range. I wasn’t into airguns when I bought my house. I do have 25 yds in my back yard but wouldn’t think about shooting towards my neighbors house, accident waiting to happen.

Dude, you have hammered this point home several times in this thread, seemingly directed at joekrooz. - his posts specifically. I heard from inside source the main issue was dickheads blasting concrete blocks with 45 cal ammo at 10-15 yards. Shooting up bunches of empty bottles and leaving all the broken glass, lastly, a recent episode where someone shot up a bunch of ketchup bottles - full ones, and left it. The difference in fee airgun versus rifle was piss change. I never saw more than 3 guys when I was there , so it was $45 gross for the day. Like they would really miss that.
Talked to Stephen last week, he said same thing. Guys were setting up targets at top of berm shooting over the berm, shooting at anything and everything and then leaving their garbage behind, place was trashed the last time I was there. I was going to speak to the new owner but figured I would do it next time I was there.

I actually feel embarrassed ! MY private club range is 32 acres , 10 miles from the house , and had guys quit because we had to raise the dues to $ 110 a year , this is anytime you wish to shoot 8 AM to 9PM except matches. and we only have 280 members . Charter limit is 347 members .
rifle range : 50 and 100 yards roof over benches
pistol and steel target range =, two roofed benched .
New .22 only range 50 and 100 yard , roofed and benched .
Archery range and walk thru woods
Club house full kitchen and pot luck dinner meetings seating area 150
free camping grounds
NO daily fee

DUDE! You couldn't not be more wrong thinking I speaking OF Joe. Joe and I are completely on the same page having discussed several times those who were there and NOT paid. So, ask Joe or me before throwing accusations around! I have known Joe for years and shot with him at FT matches over a number of years. You mention 3 when YOU were there I have been there and likely Joe as well when there were double that amount were there. Checking the sign in book later that same day or at later dates show how many had not paid.

DUDE! You couldn't not be more wrong thinking I speaking OF Joe. Joe and I are completely on the same page having discussed several times those who were there and NOT paid. So, ask Joe or me before throwing accusations around! I have known Joe for years and shot with him at FT matches over a number of years. You mention 3 when YOU were there I have been there and likely Joe as well when there were double that amount were there. Checking the sign in book later that same day or at later dates show how many had not paid.
Ok brother, before this derails further, I mentioned it appeared you were sort of sending your comments in his direction. The word I used was “seemingly “ . I’m not laying accusations on you. The point of debate is you advocating money as the primary issue, whereas in fact the blatant arrogance and disregard for that property as I mentioned was the downfall of those access privileges for all. That bad part about text is lack of voice intonation- saying same words with different inflection of voice gives 2 different meanings. It’s something I fall victim to in reading texts from others from time to time.

Ok brother, before this derails further, I mentioned it appeared you were sort of sending your comments in his direction. The word I used was “seemingly “ . I’m not laying accusations on you. The point of debate is you advocating money as the primary issue, whereas in fact the blatant arrogance and disregard for that property as I mentioned was the downfall of those access privileges for all. That bad part about text is lack of voice intonation- saying same words with different inflection of voice gives 2 different meanings. It’s something I fall victim to in reading texts from others from time to time.
It only need be half mentioned on a public forum that I even may have appeared to slight someone who I have known for years is enough for me to be defensive. An inbox/PM would have been much better! The reason I comment directly to Joe is I know Joe and we have discussed the exact matter. To believe that there is no connection with lack of revenue at the airgun range and is solely based on misconduct is not my opinion at all. There has to be a bit of both. Be it primary, secondary or later revenue plays a definite part in that portion of the range being no longer available.

Marc meet Mike, Mike meet Marc. I know both of you are good dudes. Take it easy guys, we’re all bitter about our beloved range closing, unfortunately everything happens for a reason I guess. Pretty sure the range closed for all of the above reasons.

I am pretty chuffed for a alternate reason too, my friend at whose place i shoot, well he already died 12 times in quick succession about a decade ago, so he might pick up that again anytime soon.
And personally i am stuck in a apartment, so no range here, not even clubs i could go to, as air gunners outside of the established Olympic disciplines are somehow frowned upon it seem.

Mind yoy my rifle are mouse fart quiet, and if pushed i would take to some desolate public place, even if those are hard to come buy due to the small country and the severe farming we have going on here.

Sorry to hear of this, Rangur1.

It's to be expected, unfortunately. Unsupervised people tend to trash whatever facility that they use. I spent seven years as an RO at a range and it was a constant battle to keep it clean. Many (but not all) wanted to bring something in to destroy but not clean up.

Before that, I watched the Lytle Creek open shooting area as it went downhill before being forced to close. People were leaving shot-up appliances. Pigeon Ridge (another open area) was closed shortly after that. People suck.

J~

Reactions: allinssd
Guys,
I'm going to talk to Tom Wade, and see if both of us can get to the range, and speak with the new owners. Ive been in a little chaos, because I just moved. As I said before, they seemed very receptive to the average plinking airgunners needs. They have tons of acreage that's not being used on their property. The old airgun range is going being rennovated as some kind of shotgun course. That was a given before they even took over, they already had plans for that space.
I wouldn't think all is lost yet. Give us some time, and we'll see what transpires. I'm pretty optimistic, so stay tuned.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Reactions: Joekrooz
Guys,
I'm going to talk to Tom Wade, and see if both of us can get to the range, and speak with the new owners. Ive been in a little chaos, because I just moved. As I said before, they seemed very receptive to the average plinking airgunners needs. They have tons of acreage that's not being used on their property. The old airgun range is going being rennovated as some kind of shotgun course. That was a given before they even took over, they already had plans for that space.
I wouldn't think all is lost yet. Give us some time, and we'll see what transpires. I'm pretty optimistic, so stay tuned.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Good to hear Tom, I hope you and Tom W. can get them to reconsider an airgun only range for anything.30 cal and under. In my opinion, they wouldn’t even need to build anything extravagant, I personally would bring my own bench and chair just to have a place to shoot my airguns away from the guns that go boom, I hated when guys were shooting big bores when I was there. Also imo, they should have strict rules for paying fees(if your caught not paying, you’re banned) shooting only paper targets and steel targets, clean up after yourself and no stupid sh*t in general. Maybe a membership?
Hope all is well with you and the move went smoothly.

Joe,
It seems that if an airgun only space does come to fruition, it will be limited to calibers under .25. From what the owners indicated when Tom W spoke to them, anything .25 and over will be relegated to the rifle range. When the time comes, I'll try to lobby for .25's to be included as well, but no promises, they seemed fast on their decision. As I said before, I'm optimistic that a solution will be found.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Reactions: Joekrooz
This is the exact reason why I wanted to build my own range. I had to deal with disagreements like these all the time when I was a Vice President at 2separated gun clubs at the same time and never got to just settle back and enjoy shooting. I vowed to myself NEVER AGAIN will I run for office. I can shoot what I want when I want within reason. I already got one of the neighbors interested in airguns after trying some of mine.

Joe,
It seems that if an airgun only space does come to fruition, it will be limited to calibers under .25. From what the owners indicated when Tom W spoke to them, anything .25 and over will be relegated to the rifle range. When the time comes, I'll try to lobby for .25's to be included as well, but no promises, they seemed fast on their decision. As I said before, I'm optimistic that a solution will be found.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
Hopefully you gentlemen get the airgun only range again. The under .25 caliber restriction, while unfortunate for some, beats no range at all. You could simply shoot heavier .22 pellets or slugs for similar ballistics. Then through demonstrated good stewardship at some future point lobby for more calibers? Either way, wishing you gents the best of luck.

Been informed that my current range at brookhaven has closed the airgun part. Partly because some dumbass or two were shooting full ketchup bottles, plus some littering. Mostly, because they felt not enough money was being generated- that I can believe. Same for the occasional jack-ass shooting bottles or whatever. Only other 100 yard range is calverton- which I hear is like the wild west, I would have to shoot next to firearm rifle shooters. Are there any fun to use ranges just north of westchester, NY? say within 90 minutes of Throgs neck bridge? 2 hours tops?
Stupid people ruin it for everyone. Hope you find a spot to enjoy your guns.