Lost our range!

I am visiting a privately - members owned gun club 15 minutes drive. A yearly access fee is $550 Cad and I waited 3-4 years to get in. But that is not enough...The membership is a share based. To buy a share I think currently is about $24K Cad and you just cannot buy when you want, but wait and ask for it around for years. I am leasing somebody's share $800 Cad/y - until he's son will get to an age eligible to acquire a gun license. So I am paying big bucks in a premium 600+ members club. Of course security gates and cameras everywhere. And I am the only one shooting airguns only there.
I have couple other clubs way cheaper maybe 1/3 $ but over an hour away, my name is on the waiting list for five years.

• Wow
Reactions: HogKiller
I am visiting a privately - members owned gun club 15 minutes drive. A yearly access fee is $550 Cad and I waited 3-4 years to get in. But that is not enough...The membership is a share based. To buy a share I think currently is about $24K Cad and you just cannot buy when you want, but wait and ask for it around for years. I am leasing somebody's share $800 Cad/y - until he's son will get to an age eligible to acquire a gun license. So I am paying big bucks in a premium 600+ members club. Of course security gates and cameras everywhere. And I am the only one shooting airguns only there.
I have couple other clubs way cheaper maybe 1/3 $ but over an hour away, my name is on the waiting list for five years.
My current range for $45US/month https://www.altusshooting.com/ mostly pew pew but several airgunners there as well.

There is a big difference between a (gun) range and a (gun) club.
You enter your range (owned by somebody, most likely that will be some business profile), do your hobby, maybe cleanup after yourself exit and can go home and you don't care until next time.
A club has different values, it is owned by shareholders and everybody's interest is to keep it running - meaning in all legal limits.
My SGC is one of the biggest (in land property and number of ranges) in NorthAmerica, and most likely the most expensive in NA, I think since circa 50's.
The Police and Law Enforcement units renting couple ranges twice a week for their schools and training. Pretty impressive setup and training courses available for various games.

That is the reason my wife and I bought 11 acres in northeast Ohio. I have shot pb guns at clubs and ranges all my life and just got tired of rules and idiots who have no regards for other people. I'm in the process of building a 50 and 100yd. ranges for just my wife and I (and a few friends ocationally) to shoot our airguns and enjoy nature. We even have deer on the property but we don't hunt them but my neighbor got two in our woods this year. He keeps an eye on the place when we aren't there. The neighbors are mostly farmers and tend to stay to themselves but watch out for each other. It's like a little piece of heaven for us. We have a little camper there to stay over when we want to get away from the city.

Nation ,
This is my home range also. The above reasons might have been the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak. Tom Wade spoke to the new owners over a month ago, and informed him that the airgun range was going to be closed, and some renovation and construction will go into some kind of shotgun range/course.
Tom W explained our airgun needs, particularly for Field Target, and the needs of those shooters. They seemed eager to cater to our request, and Tom W and myself plan on meeting with them in the future to discuss what can be done, and some solutions to some of the issues the range did have. One of the givens was the big bore shooters would be relegated to the regular rifle range. Details of all airgun related negotiations will be made after a hopefully productive meeting in the future. Many of the above mentioned issues with the decline of the range will be addressed.
Don't loose hope, I'm a bit optimistic that the new owners want to have us, and fix the issues that caused the quality of this venue to decline over the years.

Stay tuned
Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
Hope your right. Now as for field target, I was under impression that was pretty much .177 and .22 cal, but I don't know. I'm just a guy that shoots 25 and 30 cal for groups. That is what I need the range for. Now for big bore, that's 357 and up. I really don't want to hear 30 cal being lumped into big bore, because it isn't. Maybe I'm acting paranoid, but then again, not sure how this will go down. wish you and the rest of the negotiating team the best.

Rangur1,

The owners have pretty much said that for .25cal and up, will have to shoot at the regular rifle range.
We've had this range available to us since 2009, and it was meant for casual plinking and target events and practice. Field Target, silhouette, paper punching.
Once the large bore airguns became popular, the majority of individuals that used them, had no regard for the range, or others using it. They repeatedly shot at things they were told not to, and destroyed targets meant for smaller calibers with their larger caliber guns. They were told not to shoot at concrete blocks. They shot at concrete blocks. They were told not to shoot at any glass items. They shot at glass items. As far as I'm concerned, they should be relegated to the regular rifle range, because they ruined that range for all of us.
You are one of the few that respected the rules, and others.
Going forward, the range that the new owners will have for us, will probably be for .22 under. Everyone else will go to the rifle range. They brought it onto themselves.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Rangur1,

The owners have pretty much said that for .25cal and up, will have to shoot at the regular rifle range.
We've had this range available to us since 2009, and it was meant for casual plinking and target events and practice. Field Target, silhouette, paper punching.
Once the large bore airguns became popular, the majority of individuals that used them, had no regard for the range, or others using it. They repeatedly shot at things they were told not to, and destroyed targets meant for smaller calibers with their larger caliber guns. They were told not to shoot at concrete blocks. They shot at concrete blocks. They were told not to shoot at any glass items. They shot at glass items. As far as I'm concerned, they should be relegated to the regular rifle range, because they ruined that range for all of us.
Going forward, the range that the new owners will have for us, will probably be for .22 under. Everyone else will go to the rifle range. They brought it onto themselves.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
That's exactly why and I don't blame them for shutting it down. The regular Brookhaven rifle range is open if you want to shoot there.

I will miss shooting at the air gun range there, but I don’t blame them. Many people treated the place poorly, never paid or replaced the backing boards. I've put up a few half inch Plywood backers and never seen anyone else reciprocate. I do feel bad for the few nice gentlemen I've met there that will lose their range. A few bad apples spoil the bunch.

Rangur1,

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
Yeah, unfortunately I can't whack those clowns in the head. I've heard about the bottles and block breaking with IDK 25-50 cal. Now it looks like my option is to have a RO who knows diddly about airguns barking at me minutes after I get there. Not very appealing I will say. Guess I'll need to go elsewhere. Well, good luck with your pursuits friend. Mine just went into the crapper.

I have a private club in Putnam and granted we shoot next to powder guys it's private so we have range and club rules. It's $20 a guest but doesn't harm to get your name to be a member. You are more than welcome to reach out and maybe we can have a range day. Was talking to another member that said there is a club in middle town if interested maybe I can connect you to see where it is and if it's close enough for you.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Rangur1,

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
Any news from them? I wish you luck with your effort, however I feel you will be screwed. New ownerships wants coin and the airgun segment doesn't have it there. How many actual days does one get with rain and winds down enough to shoot groups?

Reactions: SCmaddness
Yeah, unfortunately I can't whack those clowns in the head. I've heard about the bottles and block breaking with IDK 25-50 cal. Now it looks like my option is to have a RO who knows diddly about airguns barking at me minutes after I get there. Not very appealing I will say. Guess I'll need to go elsewhere. Well, good luck with your pursuits friend. Mine just went into the crapper.
It may not be your preferred caliber but you might want to consider getting a .22 to have access to that range.

It may not be your preferred caliber but you might want to consider getting a .22 to have access to that range.
Frankly, there is no guarantee that any air gun only range will be reopened there, not enough money in it. And I’m pretty much a 25-30 cal guy. Plain and simple. Really don’t have interest lowering caliber. But I understand your line of reasoning.

Frankly, there is no guarantee that any air gun only range will be reopened there, not enough money in it. And I’m pretty much a 25-30 cal guy. Plain and simple. Really don’t have interest lowering caliber. But I understand your line of reasoning.
I’m in the same boat as you, .25 and .30 mostly preferred caliber. Gonna go to Calverton on Friday, temps in the mid 50s supposedly, got a new one I’m itching to try out. Hit me up if you want to shoot at the wild Wild West lol.

I wish Brookhaven would reconsider, I’d be willing to pay more $$ to shoot for the day there. Unfortunately I think they have other plans for the site and their mind is made up.

I’m in the same boat as you, .25 and .30 mostly preferred caliber. Gonna go to Calverton on Friday, temps in the mid 50s supposedly, got a new one I’m itching to try out. Hit me up if you want to shoot at the wild Wild West lol.

I wish Brookhaven would reconsider, I’d be willing to pay more $$ to shoot for the day there. Unfortunately I think they have other plans for the site and their mind is made up.
Would have been much better for all who are true air gunners IF all who used the range would have signed in and actually PAID when they used the range!! Then the revenue backed by signatures in the book may have shown it is a worthwhile addition to the rest of the range. Several shooters there consistently would show up and shoot for extended periods and would hardly if ever pay. Just another case of bad apples and spoiling the whole bunch. Now some of these same exact people are pissed off they do not have some where to go to continue to steal from and ruin the facility which has been around for many years.

Reactions: L.Leon

I agree, I would have been willing to even buy year membership. As for shooting at calverton, you may have same access to rifle range at brookhaven, not sure how much ball busting will occur. Sigh, the search continues as I have had several generous offers such as yours, but I'm limited to tues-thurs availability. Let me know how it is though.