Lost our range!

Been informed that my current range at brookhaven has closed the airgun part. Partly because some dumbass or two were shooting full ketchup bottles, plus some littering. Mostly, because they felt not enough money was being generated- that I can believe. Same for the occasional jack-ass shooting bottles or whatever. Only other 100 yard range is calverton- which I hear is like the wild west, I would have to shoot next to firearm rifle shooters. Are there any fun to use ranges just north of westchester, NY? say within 90 minutes of Throgs neck bridge? 2 hours tops?

You gotta be kidding me, this really sucks. All it takes is a few idiots to ruin it for everyone. Pretty sure the range has new lease/ownership.
I was there a couple weeks ago and the place was a mess, spent a half hour cleaning up garbage only to find there wasn’t a garage can there anymore but there was one way up up by the road. Any garbage I created I took home with me, it’s not that hard is it? Plus, I know quite a few people weren’t paying the fee to shoot, no one ever checked I guess. I was the only one to sign in and there would be a half a dozen guys down there shooting.

Reactions: ThomasT
You gotta be kidding me, this really sucks. All it takes is a few idiots to ruin it for everyone. Pretty sure the range has new lease/ownership.
I was there a couple weeks ago and the place was a mess, spent a half hour cleaning up garbage only to find there wasn’t a garage can there anymore but there was one way up up by the road. Any garbage I created I took home with me, it’s not that hard is it? Plus, I know quite a few people weren’t paying the fee to shoot, no one ever checked I guess. I was the only one to sign in and there would be a half a dozen guys down there shooting.
Really? Damn! Main reason they shut it down was no money coming in. but the other crap sure as hell didn't help things.

My name was in the book and paid! :cool:

we have an auto gate, works on individual code so we know who is there and what times in / out . and still we get garbage and shot up cans .
Also 8 leo's and two Fed's so i do not bring extra attachments with me .

we got the gate from a factory that upgraded it's system to a drive thru we have to punch our individual code in

Really? Damn! Main reason they shut it down was no money coming in. but the other crap sure as hell didn't help things.
I’d be willing to pay more to continue to shoot there, they never put any money back into that range the 7 or 8 years I’ve been shooting there. Maybe they would reconsider if we talked to them? Guess I’ll be headed to Calverton in the future, ughh

read post # 6 .
exactly why we went to a coded gate, yearly fee paid and shoot any daylight hours or lighted evening when supervised ,like Trap shoot event.
That sounds perfect! Unfortunately this would never happen at our range as it was a town owned range that is now leased out by private owners. We had ourselves a really unique Airgun only range, 100 yards with covered benches. It has really been neglected over the years but still a great place to shoot, self governed and no powder burners blasting away next to you. We can still shoot at the pb ranges, just not the same as the ag only range.

Reactions: dgeesaman
I read these posts and I am truly thankful I live out in the country. I have easily 150 yards to shoot. The next house downrange is the next mile over with woods between us. I'm not trying to rub it in but rather really feel for your plight.
I admire your dedication to shooting when it involves all the travel and other issues you have to deal with.

I read these posts and I am truly thankful I live out in the country. I have easily 150 yards to shoot. The next house downrange is the next mile over with woods between us. I'm not trying to rub it in but rather really feel for your plight.
I admire your dedication to shooting when it involves all the travel and other issues you have to deal with.
Same here. I live in a rural area. I shoot my air guns in the back yard. For powder burners the shooting range is 40 minutes down the road.
I hope all you guys get it worked out so you can still shoot.

That sounds perfect! Unfortunately this would never happen at our range as it was a town owned range that is now leased out by private owners. We had ourselves a really unique Airgun only range, 100 yards with covered benches. It has really been neglected over the years but still a great place to shoot, self governed and no powder burners blasting away next to you. We can still shoot at the pb ranges, just not the same as the ag only range.
That's for sure. Hopefully enough airgunners show up and possibly work a deal, and we can keep the chowderheads out as well.

Reactions: Joekrooz
Been informed that my current range at brookhaven has closed the airgun part. Partly because some dumbass or two were shooting full ketchup bottles, plus some littering. Mostly, because they felt not enough money was being generated- that I can believe. Same for the occasional jack-ass shooting bottles or whatever. Only other 100 yard range is calverton- which I hear is like the wild west, I would have to shoot next to firearm rifle shooters. Are there any fun to use ranges just north of westchester, NY? say within 90 minutes of Throgs neck bridge? 2 hours tops?
So if the primary reason was no cash flow then maybe you could talk to the range owner and offer to reopen as airgun only and feed fees back to them on a percentage basis. Our local range was about to close us out and we ended up forming an LLC and taking over running and leasing the range from landowner. While his excuse was liability and funds the real reason was it was a headache and he got tired of running it. The LLC reduced shooters to members only, we took handling issues off him and reduced liability through LLC structure and limiting type of shooting. Just a thought.

Nation ,
This is my home range also. The above reasons might have been the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak. Tom Wade spoke to the new owners over a month ago, and informed him that the airgun range was going to be closed, and some renovation and construction will go into some kind of shotgun range/course.
Tom W explained our airgun needs, particularly for Field Target, and the needs of those shooters. They seemed eager to cater to our request, and Tom W and myself plan on meeting with them in the future to discuss what can be done, and some solutions to some of the issues the range did have. One of the givens was the big bore shooters would be relegated to the regular rifle range. Details of all airgun related negotiations will be made after a hopefully productive meeting in the future. Many of the above mentioned issues with the decline of the range will be addressed.
Don't loose hope, I'm a bit optimistic that the new owners want to have us, and fix the issues that caused the quality of this venue to decline over the years.

Stay tuned
Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

There is an awesome fully automated indoor 100yd range in Goshen, NY called Davis Shooting Sports 845-651-7000

• Love
Reactions: rcarlisle
People that run gun clubs can be neanderthals at times. They are focused on one type of shooting and screw the rest. All members are created equal, right? Nah!
Yep. I was board member on a "Muzzle loader club" that when we tried to expand to allow other shooting disciplines created a revolt. Ended up about a 3rd of the old codgers that just wanted ML only to shoot at bottles and old appliances didn't like our uppity ways. Luckily we got a majority elected and moved forward with them quitting and moving on.

It is important for the gun clubs to have a good board of directors and officers that understand the club must stay well rounded, even if most of them only shoot a few disciplines. If you are going to create an LLC or something, make sure the By-laws are written to somehow keep all shooting disciplines represented.

At the club I used use, There were quite a few disciplines represented by the board/officers. But if a new discipline wanted to start up, they listened and pretty much let those interested in the new shooting run it under the name of the club (insurance). If it took off, those shooters usually got involved and got voted into leadership positions. The club grew with new shooters, and every couple of years did a new project to enhance some part of the club. Which usually brought more members (dues) for more upgrades.

It's all about keeping club leadership open minded for all disciplines.

Good luck with your range.

Reactions: standles