Looks like chippie season is about done for me.

I've gone to my dad's the last few days and the chipmunks have been really scarce, only one or two running around in the No Man's Land that is the rocks between my dad's and his neighbor. It looks like the majority of them have gone underground into their dens for the winter, leaving me target-less.

So it looks like the next few months, I'll have to live vicariously through everyone else's hunting posts.

You could put out some of their favorite food to tempt them out of their winters slumber 😁

I wish, but it takes a while for them to find a bait station and get used to it being there. Then there's maintaining food at the station, so they get used to food always being available. I might try that come Spring when they start coming out of hibernation. That will give me an opportunity to design and build a pellet-safe/resistant bait station to set up at dad's house where the chippers like to roam. My former neighbor had set up bird AND squirrel feeders in her back yard and the squirrels were going through my yard to get to her feeders - drives my dogs nuts! But the wife got "That Look" in her eyes when I said I had an idea for the squirrels tormenting the dogs.

Unfortunately, due to the new development behind my house, I can't even set up bird feeders to attract the sparrows and starlings like I used to, so "chipping" at dad's is the only source of amusement I have. My wife is afraid the tenants in the new buildings would see me outside with the Benji and think someone was walking around with a high powered rifle and call the locals on me, I see her point, but it still aggravates me because NO ONE in town wanted the city to tear down the school and the HUGE field behind it for this development, but the city did it anyway.

Yah, it's winding down in my backyard too. What once was a target rich environment .... now they seem to know where to avoid for continuation of existence 😄.

I started my eliminations 5 years ago with an inconsistent shooting $129 Benjamin break barrel and Crosman pellets. Had 30+ confirmed bodies that season and numerous "whap" body hits that still allowed the tough little diggers to get back to their holes, (though never to be seen again!) ... so I took a toll on them, and it's been lesser and lesser each year/season since. Only registered 12 this season, and these had to be visitors from other yards and adjoining property as they no longer choose to burrow within my range.

I've also upgraded the past couple years to pcp rifles and there's hardly ever any crawl-offs👍