Looks like a great deal on a Coltri MCH6

1592848568_18308253215ef0f0b8aaaf02.64775336.png

Yo said its ^^^^

Aside from buying it from Spain, the only Coltri service I know of in the USA is Nuvair in Southern CA. So for any service, there’s the $150 to $200 freight each way, plus the $105 per hour labor fee for repairs. Your first repair, if necessary, will easily go over $700, adding in freight, two hours estimated labor, and parts. Take into account that Nuvair doesn’t have the best reputation, and I’d steer clear of Coltri. 

Aside from buying it from Spain, the only Coltri service I know of in the USA is Nuvair in Southern CA. So for any service, there’s the $150 to $200 freight each way, plus the $105 per hour labor fee for repairs. Your first repair, if necessary, will easily go over $700, adding in freight, two hours estimated labor, and parts. Take into account that Nuvair doesn’t have the best reputation, and I’d steer clear of Coltri.

I bought a gas powered one from Nuvair and got reasonable customer service. Who had issues with them? Just asking.

I'm surprised that this Coltri MCH-6 offer from DiveInn.com in Spain hasn't been referenced before. This exporter's price changes daily as the Euro to dollar exchange rate fluctuates. I've seen this website advertising MCH-6s for as low as $2004 and as High as $2096 in the past few weeks. The DHL shipping charge to air freight it from Spain is only $181 and they promise one week delivery. I recently sold my Daystate LC-110 compressor to a local buddy and my final two choices to replace it were this vendor's MCH-6 or a new Alkin W31. I opted for the Alkin in spite of the attractive price for an MCH-6.

Here are the red flags I saw regarding this deal. First of all, if you do a search on this seller online you'll see they have a fairly underwhelming customer satisfaction rating. Evidently this is a huge catalog seller and their promises exceed their performance. The delivery time seems to be a pipe dream. I tried to communicate with them and they don't respond to their own inquiry page. Their order page says their MCH-6's are rated at 4300 psi. I want one with the 330 bar safety valve, not a 300 bar safety valve that won't fill past 4350 psi. Second, I want to be sure I'm getting a 60 Hz motor, not a European 50Hz motor. I don't want to spend serious money and not be able to be sure of what I'm getting from an overseas vendor that I can't get full specifications from on their order page.

The Alkin W31 costs more but it runs at 1050 rpms vs. the 2400 rpms of the MCH-6 to achieve the same fill rate. The MCH-6 does not have a PMV, whereas the MCH-6 does. I have much closer access to Alkin service than shipping an MCH-6 coast to coast for warranty or servicing should it ever be necessary. The Alkin W31 just exudes build quality and features and was for me well worth the difference in price.

Cootertwo's link to the DAVV compressor is a Chinese copy of the MCH-6 for $2,599. If I opted for an MCH-6, I would buy a real Coltri and pay less for it than this Chinese clone is priced on Amazon.

I bought a gas powered one from Nuvair and got reasonable customer service. Who had issues with them? Just asking

Me. In a nutshell I took them an LC110 Coltri MCH3. I supplied the third stage rebuild kit since they didn’t have MCH-3 parts in stock and had to order from Italy (I procured the parts from AoA, where I should have made the 6 hour drive in the first place). They installed the 3rd stage kit and the compressor seized when they tried to run it. Their labor rate is over $100 per hour. So after 3 hours work I decided not to turn this into a science experiment, since they didn’t have a clue. Long story on why I didn’t first try to fix it myself...

When I asked for the compressor back with all the parts they had lost quite a few parts required to reassemble the compressor if I had wanted to try myself. Compounding this Oxnard is a three hour drive from San Diego. Each way. I’m still trying to get them to “find” the parts that they lost. So if your compressor is under warranty then you’re fine. But once that expires I hope your compressor never breaks down on you. 

PS., their “take a look at your compressor” price is over $100. So just to look at it costs you whether or not it can or will be fixed. 

Humdinger, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and your willingness to help others. Please do not infer any insult or negative tone from my inline responses. They are there only to help others.

> I opted for the Alkin in spite of the attractive price for an MCH-6.

Lots of folks here, new members, older members, are pushing the Alkin. So much so that making a comment about any other compressor results in Direct Messages with offers from clandestine sellers and/or dealers lurking on the forums. I am not suggesting this is the case with you reply but it is ... odd. Like someone mentioning they're using 5% diluted Vinegar to clean and later, a knock on the door, with a "better" Vinegar. I don't understand the full dynamics of it so I won't suggest you're engaging in clandestine marketing. It's just weird to me.

> Their order page says their MCH-6's are rated at 4300 psi. I want one with the 330 bar safety valve, not a 300 bar safety valve that won't fill past 4350 psi.

Very valid point here, I was going to rant about Coltri/Daystate's/Nuvair's manual with oil, pressure limits, etc but you're right here.

> Second, I want to be sure I'm getting a 60 Hz motor, not a European 50Hz motor.

I'm really overstepping my own understanding here but I thought the run capacitor was there to balance out the frequency/phase-induction losses. I'd need to research it more, I'm not an EE. I keep thinking of phase angles and stuff. I'm not 100% sure the whole 50Hz versus 60Hz isn't another moisture boogeyman thing. I realize a motor is an inductor and isn't a capacitive load... but it's capacitively balanced with a run capacitor. I can't help but think there are no such things as 50Hz versus 60Hz motors from a winding aspect? Again, apologies if I'm overstepping my own intelligence here... but I believe most capacitive loads and/or DC rectified loads work just fine at 50Hz or 60Hz; they don't really care? 'Cept Boogeymens?

> The MCH-6 does not have a PMV, whereas the MCH-6 does.

Yeah but we shouldn't need a PMV unless we're filling from zero. The tanks themselves for top-off act as a PMV.

Thank you sir for your post and I mean no insult, if anything, I especially hope to be corrected and educated by our members here for any mistakes or assumptions I have made.

Edit:

-clandestine marking

+clandestine marketing

-they don't really care?

+they don't really care? 'Cept Boogeymens?

LMNOP, I do not take offense at your remarks as I've followed your posts and know you are expressing an honest opinion. Please rest assured I have no affiliation with any dealer or brand. If you go back and read all of my posts you'll see that I've owned and recommended several different compressors as well as criticized the design and lack of value of several others.

I'm a retired salesman and I guess by sharing my thought process or enthusiasm for a particular purchase I made may come across to some as clandestine marketing. It is not intended to be. 

I'm not an EE but I've learned a lot about compressors in my 18 years of enjoying this hobby. Compressors fascinate me the way new PCP introductions fascinate others. The Alkin purchase was based upon my consideration of the factors I shared in my post. The 2 finalists in my decision were the MCH-6 and the W31. I chose the product which more closely met my requirements. I am expecting this to be my final compressor purchase.

In the past I owned a refurbished Bauer Utilus which in 20/20 hindsight I probably should have kept. The W31 is the closest I could get as a comparable replacement. The seller of the Bauer is a compressor guru who refurbishes Bauers he buys from merchant ship owners. These Bauers have 50Hz motors which he replaces with U.S. spec 60 Hz motors. I know that a 50Hz motor will run at 20% higher rpms with less torque. If an experienced seller feels that U.S.spec motors are required here, then I want an expensive compressor purchase to have proper specs. I didn't want to find out that I got a European 50Hz model which would have to be shipped back to Spain. DiveInn was attractive price-wise but I didn't feel comfortable with their communication, lack of specifications in the model descriptions, and mediocre customer ratings.

Thank you sir, always appreciated, and thank you for not taking offense to my response. I improperly constructed a sentence regarding the clandestine dealers and as a result perhaps suggested you were doing this. My fault here, what I meant was previously even I had commented about compressors and interest in the Alkin and I began receiving Direct Messages from forum members who had now become dealers offering deals. It seemed weird to me.

You and I share very similar interests -- I am absolutely amazed with HPA. Compressors are indeed a work of art and amazing pieces of machinery.

As always, thank you!

I just ordered a Coltri MCH6, but paid a little more (though still less than most places) and got it from Nuvair in Oxnard, California. They seemed like an easy place to deal with, and I liked that they are local (almost). I ordered by actually talking to someone on the phone rather than on-line. They were helpful and knowledgeable, asking me questions to insure that it was configured correctly. He talked me out of the auto stop option as I probably did not need it for my use. In the end, I'm getting a 220v, single phase, with 330bar safety valve and foster fitting output. I have a 220v outlet box in the garage. I'll need to wire the correct plug on the cable it comes with no plug.

I had been using a Vevor compressor for the last two years. I actually have two and used one for parts to keep the other running. Easy enough with my 20fpe FT gun. But lately I have been working on an 60+fpe airgun and have put thousands of shots through it. I have been filling my 4500psi, 45min SCBA tank way too often and the Vevor is not really up to the task. Last Saturday, the Vevor would not pump over 1000psi, and after checking the obvious problem areas, I decided that I've had enough and would need something more reliable from here on out. I packed up the Vevors and should have the Coltri here by this coming weekend.

I bought a gas powered one from Nuvair and got reasonable customer service. Who had issues with them? Just asking

Me. In a nutshell I took them an LC110 Coltri MCH3. I supplied the third stage rebuild kit since they didn’t have MCH-3 parts in stock and had to order from Italy (I procured the parts from AoA, where I should have made the 6 hour drive in the first place). They installed the 3rd stage kit and the compressor seized when they tried to run it. Their labor rate is over $100 per hour. So after 3 hours work I decided not to turn this into a science experiment, since they didn’t have a clue. Long story on why I didn’t first try to fix it myself...

When I asked for the compressor back with all the parts they had lost quite a few parts required to reassemble the compressor if I had wanted to try myself. Compounding this Oxnard is a three hour drive from San Diego. Each way. I’m still trying to get them to “find” the parts that they lost. So if your compressor is under warranty then you’re fine. But once that expires I hope your compressor never breaks down on you. 

PS., their “take a look at your compressor” price is over $100. So just to look at it costs you whether or not it can or will be fixed.

I recently did some research on the Coltri and Daystate compressors. This is what I gathered:

I think the LC110 was a Daystate specified MCH3 (3 stage) compressor. The Coltri MCH3 is rated at 3260psi, but the Daystate LC110 is running basically the same compressor up to 4500psi. From the looks of it, the Daystate LC110 is an over-stressed Coltri MCH3. That's a red flag to me. And your experience reinforces that. Unless your rebuild kit included new cylinders and new pistons, the immediate second failure would not be unexpected. Even AOA admits to problems with the LC110 but said that's not the case with the Daystate "2" compressor. I almost ordered the Daystate "2" compressor which appears to be based on the 4 stage Coltri MCH6 which is rated for 4500psi, but after talking to both AOA and Nuvair, I decided to go with the Coltri MCH6 from Nuvair.

At this point, I wouldn't even think about getting a Daystate LC110 from AOA. However a Coltri MCH6 from Nuvair is really not the same. I'll report back if there are any issues.

Nuvair is closer to me so that also influenced my decision.

Edit: I recently read that Daystate sold different versions of the LC110. Some of them are reported to have the 4 stage pump like the MCH6.

Edit: As of 08/04/2020, Nuvair lists the MCH3 as being available with a 300bar safety valve. So that is in line with the specs for the Daystate LC110.

I had ordered my Coltri MCH6 from Nuvair in Oxnard, California on Tuesday (07/07/2020) and it arrived this morning (07/10/2020).

Delivered by Fed-Ex. Well packed. I opened the box and everything looked good so I signed off for it. Nice manuals, airgun fill hose/valve, extra quart of Coltri CE750 oil. It's heavy but manageable for one person. I carried it into the garage by myself.

I had ordered the paintball/airgun configuration so it came with the correct fill valve/foster fitting and 330bar safety valve. It has a 60hz single phase 220v motor, but does not come with a plug. I have a 50amp, 4 wire outlet box in the garage, so I bought a configurable NEMA 14-30P/14-50P plug at the local Ace hardware store. The only difference between the 14-30P and 14-50P configuration is which neutral pin is installed. Since the Coltri compressor has a 3 wire cable, I did not install the unused neutral pin. The plug housing is designed for a fairly large diameter cable, so I slipped a rubber spark plug boot over the Coltri cable to make a tighter fit in the plug housing.

Nuvair tests the compressor, so it ships with correct oil already filled to the correct level. I read through the manual and then went to the QUICK GUIDE page for the initial startup. I filled my 45 min SCBA tank from 3200psi to 4500psi in 6 minutes. It's early, but I'm very pleased so far with the compressor, and Nuvair has been great to deal with. All the concerns that people raised in this thread about ordering from Spain were not an issue when ordering from Nuvair. You'll pay a little less from the Spanish supplier, but Nuvair provides great service and a properly configured compressor setup.

1594412590_18880140375f08ce2e7d3fc7.55301600.JPG

1594412607_6487431985f08ce3fb01c19.95270555.JPG

1594412618_1849000895f08ce4a6100a4.28221024.JPG

1594412632_4032195025f08ce58c75c47.27600474.JPG

1594412647_15040270885f08ce67065376.57264836.JPG

1594412656_12259792725f08ce70eb6bd1.44576379.JPG

About a year and a half ago I bought a Coltri MCH6 off of a fellow on Craigslist. It was used, but the price was right and it appeared to be in good shape. Of course the first thing I did was to take it apart and and make a quick survey of what needed replacing. It really wasn’t that difficult to work on. There are lots of videos on YouTube and parts are readily available through Nuvair. By and large, it was a fairly easy mechanical project and it now provides yeoman service.