• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to upgrade

I have been shooting airguns as long as I could remember. I started with a simple gamo springer in .177, then a crosman in .22. I never graduated away from springers until I was moved out and living on my own. I bought a Beeman commander in .22 about a year ago. Im now looking to upgrade to some thing much nicer. I've been looking around a lot and have checked all the classifieds here. I think I want to go with some sort of FX, that way I can hopefully just get one and be happy. (Unlikely I know) Is there anything that's as modular or as tunable as FX in the same price range? Any recommendations for something sub $1300.

If you know that it’s unlikely you’ll be happy with one brand or PCP. Why limit yourself? You have a certain base of experience. Looks across good brands. Them pick something that suits how you actually use your present airguns. Modular? Tuneable? Why not simply get something that works/shoots right out the box? I’m simply a shooter, so I’m biased towards just simply having a gun be ready to go from day one. Good luck.

If you know that it’s unlikely you’ll be happy with one brand or PCP. Why limit yourself? You have a certain base of experience. Looks across good brands. Them pick something that suits how you actually use your present airguns. Modular? Tuneable? Why not simply get something that works/shoots right out the box? I’m simply a shooter, so I’m biased towards just simply having a gun be ready to go from day one. Good luck.
Im limited mostly by funding really. I dont have thousands to dump into several guns right now and would like something that can be tuned low to shoot quiet and easy inside a backyard or really strech its legs on some of the nearby farms. Or maybe change calibers or pellet type for cheaper than buying a new gun. From what I've found FX seems to do this best for this but perhaps ove overlooked some other brands with good stuff to offer. Im just looking for some opinions and insight from some more experienced airgunners.

Reactions: Satchel and L.Leon
Don't overlook the Dreamline. Within the budget, gets you a lot of flagship-model features (able to change calibers, externally adjustable regulator) without being overly complex and also has some unique features (change stock configurations). It's probably the best value FX has to offer right now.
I started with a Marauder about 10 years ago and was my only PCP for 8 years. When I was ready to upgrade, I wanted something light, comfortable to carry and shoot offhand (all the things the Marauder isn't). I wanted an Impact, but settled on a Dreamline after really sitting down with myself and trying to justify the extra spend.

I humbly submit the RTI brand for your consideration, either a Priest or Prophet in .22 or .25 for starters. The first models of which may be purchased within the mentioned budget. Their externally adjustable regulator and hammer spring makes for a tinker's on the fly nirvana. Barrel and caliber changes are caveman walk in the park simple, if that is your cup of tea?
Bottom line the RTI line are simply build like a tank, should one stumble into a ditch. Or need to club a small angry charging animal for some reason? :cool:

Im limited mostly by funding really. I dont have thousands to dump into several guns right now and would like something that can be tuned low to shoot quiet and easy inside a backyard or really strech its legs on some of the nearby farms. Or maybe change calibers or pellet type for cheaper than buying a new gun. From what I've found FX seems to do this best for this but perhaps ove overlooked some other brands with good stuff to offer. Im just looking for some opinions and insight from some more experienced airgunners.

To be dead honest with you, you should choose a gun that does one thing well and can flex a little bit into other roles. Manufacturers tout the caliber changing capabilities of their guns, but I have yet to see a single person, in 10 years of being in this hobby, legitimately swap from one caliber to the next regularly. So much goes into getting a good tune to a specific caliber at a specific power level that switching back and forth doesn't really make sense.

Now, have a gun that switches caliber easily if you want to change caliber down the line has its perks for sure!

Robert,
Just had one of our newer members in a similar situation, upgrading, impressed with FX, but limited in budget. Dreamline, as rcarlisle notes, and earlier model FX (used) in the Classifieds were suggested. Also, budgeting need for optics, air source and ammo were mentioned. He upped his budget from $1200 to $1500 but don't think ended up with FX. Hang around long enough, you'll see we don't agree on any particular gun, similar threads often leaving OP more confused, than ever. I'd suggest a Google search for top PCPs in your price range, check them out, if one appeals, return and ask about owner experience. Best of Luck, WM

Oh boy, threads like this always make me reflect on what I have done.

On one hand I want a no fuss take it and shoot gun. My first springer, HW30 is just that and to me, priceless.

Then I bought a HW95 177. Should have sent it back right away, but I had stars in my eyes. Over the next year I worked out the problems, learned so so much, and then bought a 22 barrel. Never had 22 air power before and really liked it.
I switch between 177 and 22 often. Soon it will go back to 177 for chipmunkin.
This satisfies my tinkering to some extent.
I see uses for many different power levels in my air gunning.

I broke the seal on pcp last July with a no tinker rifle in 22 the is my most powerful at 32-35 fpe. It’s nice....but then I spent too much time here and the other form, so since November or so I bought 3 more pcp in various power levels. 4-5 fpe, 11 fpe and 19fpe. So that will allow me to leave the HW95 as a 177 in the 14fpe slot.
This also set me up with simple lego tinker guns to satisfy my “I can improve them” need.

Sorry, I am rambling again. To the point, I was looking for one to do it all, but the more you shoot, the more different ways you will want to shoot. Or adapt to enviro changes. At least that is what happened to me.
So I am drifting away from switchochangeo, to guns that have specific purposes.

My advice for your next gun is to focus on your main use. You are going to spend a bunch of money, so make sure that spend hits your biggest usage target.

My next gun will be expensive. Pistol, bullpup, rifle, don’t know. It’s at least a year out. But I have to fix the compressor issue first.
Don’t buy a Vevor or from Walmart who is still jerking me around on a compressor that has only succeeded in pumping tiny tubes less than 10 times and failed twice.

Reactions: Satchel
Well if your limited on funds then there are better options than a fx, fx’s are money pits, don’t get sucked into the fx fanboy club thinking that a fx is the best.. shop around there are other brands out there that perform the same with less maintenance. The only fx I would suggest would be a wildcat or royale 500, bullet proof and easy to work on..

compressor are what keeps me out of pcp market
There are some super sweet, lowered powered PCPs you can easily hand pump. You don’t necessarily need a HPA compressor. I’m hand pumping all my low powered PCPs, no problem. And am in my early 60s🙀

PS: I own a hpa compressor. But 50 strokes of my pump gets me 30-33 shots, so… not worried when compressor finally croaks.

There is a trade off. But I am really liking the pcp world. But then my guns are easy to hand pump. The trade there is less shots and 200 bar limit.

To go above that, I need a better compressor before I can buy a higher pressure/ bottle gun.
I pump my Atomics to 250 BAR from 110 BAR… but they have small air cylinders.

Reactions: Struckat
I'm not too worried about a compressor or an optic, and ammo is just an assumed cost with the hobby. I already have a hand pump that I use and don't mind and I have an optic that is much nicer than the gun that it is currently on. Aside from that my main use for the gun would be hunting/posting with some occasional target work. That being said ive been eyeing 2 or 3 used Brocock bantam sniper hr. AoA also has the BSA r10 for around $900. Ive also been looking pretty deeply into the dreamline series. There's just soooo many options lol, idk what to do. I guess this is where the rabbit hole begins.

Reactions: Satchel
Do you know what type of airgun you like best? Traditional or bullpup? I started with a Prod, then a full length Avenger, then bought a P35 and found I REALLY like bullpups. Especially light ones that shoot well. Each of my guns was less than $500. I shot a 187 on the 30 yard challenge with the second best shooter this morning. I might or might not shoot a little better with a FX but they cost 3X as much. I think an Avenger (bullpup or full length) or a P15/P35/Stoeger bullshark would be a modest upgrade from your Beeman and possibly help you understand more what you like. All of these are regulated guns - is your Beeman? That is another dividing line that is useful to understand.

Reactions: SHOMER
I have 2 FX Crowns and love them
Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 10.23.23 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 10.24.03 AM.jpg

Reactions: Struckat
Nobody has mentioned Umarex. I have a Gauntlet 2 in .25 cal. I bought the gun, scope, bipod, and compressor for less than your budget. It is a great gun. I know this gives you another brand to look at but do check it out. I was in the same boat a year or so ago and this is what I have and am totally happy at this point.

Hi! FX fanboy here! A lot of haters always say FX are fragile, or they’re always failing. I’ve had zero issues with the 10+ FX guns I’ve owned in the short time I’ve been back in this sport. I would also recommend the dreamline platform. From what you said in your original post, it’s the logical choice. You can pick one up used here in the classifieds regularly for the $900 mark, and being so modular, not only can you swap calibers and barrels, but I’d you wanted to try a different style of gun, you can convert it from classic, to tactical, to bull pup, and back. It does it all. It’s not going to have the power levels of some other pcp’s, but it’s also not the price of those others. The brococks have your ‘accurate out of the box, and don’t mess with’ category pretty wrapped up. They are fantastic accurate rifles, but more of a set it and forget it platform.
the RTI platform that someone recommended has a long way to go. With reg issues and new valve issues, and no real dealer network in the USA, I would see Problems with repairs. Other “cheaper“ pop’s are also on the table. The avenger comes to mind, as it’s also very tunable externally, but you will lose the ability to change calibers or styles of rifle.

There are many other brands I haven’t listed that are all options, but the dreamline just checks all your boxes. I’m not here to try and convince you that you don’t need what you’re requesting. I’m here to give you options as close to what you’re looking for, and then you have to make the decision for yourself.
lots of us get caught up being brand loyal, and miss the big picture. I may be a fan of FX, but it’s not all I own, and will never have ALL my business.
happy hunting!