• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Looking to get into PCP

Hey all,
Looking to upgrade out of my pump guns to something more substantial to dispatch the waves of hellacious starlings infesting my structures.

Happened upon the JTS AiracudaMax and feel like it's probably the best I can get for the money. My original budget was somewhere around $700 and I really liked the thought of the BSA R10 but they seem to be impossible to get in the states.

Am I on the money thinking of this JTS rifle?

Tactical,
Welcome to the forum. Do yourself a favor and search "Airacuda Max," in upper right page corner. Bought my .25 in October 2022, still struggling to make it right. Two areas of concern, one, stock isn't fully solid to action, tighten stock bolt and magazine opening pinches shut. Two, common to find out-of-round shrouds, meaning muzzle and end cap aren't pointed the same, moderator clipping is likely result. WM

Yes thats not a bad choice for your first pcp. I would focus on something that has lots of parts available and can be hand pumped. Air Venturi Avengers are probably a better option. Also take a look at Gamo Urban or Coyote as they have many of the same parts found in high dollar BSA rigs. And you need to figure out what ranges and level of accuracy you need and can expect irl. For starlings up to 100yds max I think a 22Cal will be great for you. JSB Hades/FX Atomics work awesome, and I also love Nielsen 17.5g slugs for longer ranges and bigger critters.

Hey all,
Looking to upgrade out of my pump guns to something more substantial to dispatch the waves of hellacious starlings infesting my structures.

Happened upon the JTS AiracudaMax and feel like it's probably the best I can get for the money. My original budget was somewhere around $700 and I really liked the thought of the BSA R10 but they seem to be impossible to get in the states.

BSA!!!

The Notos, the Urban, even the DAR gen 3 and Airacuda all exist in this budget price range that lends itself to poor workmanship and quality. I would be fine with any of them if I was confident that they wouldn't fail on me. So I suppose reliability would be my first priority over anything else.

The Air Venturi AvengeX looks nice

And again, I'd love to find a BSA R10 or even an R12 but they're impossible to find here for some reason.

The Notos, the Urban, even the DAR gen 3 and Airacuda all exist in this budget price range that lends itself to poor workmanship and quality. I would be fine with any of them if I was confident that they wouldn't fail on me. So I suppose reliability would be my first priority over anything else.

The Air Venturi AvengeX looks nice

And again, I'd love to find a BSA R10 or even an R12 but they're impossible to find here for some reason.
The Gamo Urban/Coyote have a stellar reputation for durability and reliability. My Urban is about 7-8 years old and has tens of thousands of pellets through it. The others are certainly not in the same class and wont last near as long. Dont get tripped up on the Gamos due to their low cost. They are very well built. They kinda get passed over these days because of the market flooded with fancy doodads and high performance budget rifles.

Hey all,

Airguns of Arizona has the BSA R10. I bought one and highly recommend it for backyard Starling duty. Walnut and steel!

BSA R10b.jpg

BSAR10c.jpg

Airguns of Arizona has the BSA R10. I bought one and highly recommend it for backyard Starling duty. Walnut and steel!

View attachment 467140

View attachment 467141
I love what I see coming from BSA, the R12 is a thing of beauty. Im currently attempting to get in touch with AoA to work on that price. Two days, two failures. Their phone system just hung up on me after waiting on hold through their closing time. If I can get the rifle for $700, Ill do that. Otherwise, its looking like itll be a Gamo Urban or Coyote.

If I get the R10, whats everyones recommendations for air supply, ammo, and glass? And I guess same question for the gamo, a foot pump? How long does it take to pump up a Gamo Urban? And for optics, Im a shooter and have highend optics for centerfire rifles thatll work, but I have a feeling aimpoint and nightforce is a little too overkill for an airgun 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: MongooseV8