• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Looking to get into PCP

Hey all,
Looking to upgrade out of my pump guns to something more substantial to dispatch the waves of hellacious starlings infesting my structures.

Happened upon the JTS AiracudaMax and feel like it's probably the best I can get for the money. My original budget was somewhere around $700 and I really liked the thought of the BSA R10 but they seem to be impossible to get in the states.

Am I on the money thinking of this JTS rifle?
you could get a pretty good quality used PCP from a reputable dealer for $700. palm beach airguns has a wildcat mk1 for 650

I love what I see coming from BSA, the R12 is a thing of beauty. Im currently attempting to get in touch with AoA to work on that price. Two days, two failures. Their phone system just hung up on me after waiting on hold through their closing time. If I can get the rifle for $700, Ill do that. Otherwise, its looking like itll be a Gamo Urban or Coyote.

If I get the R10, whats everyones recommendations for air supply, ammo, and glass? And I guess same question for the gamo, a foot pump? How long does it take to pump up a Gamo Urban? And for optics, Im a shooter and have highend optics for centerfire rifles thatll work, but I have a feeling aimpoint and nightforce is a little too overkill for an airgun 😂
For the Gamos I have a FourUncles hand pump I use. Its probably the cheapest pump out there but works alright. With a pcp if they are empty it takes forever to fill, seems like. So I can pump up from 1500psi to 3050psi in like 80 pumps? It doesnt take too long and is good exercise. THat gets me about 30 shots in my Urban or 50+ shots in my Coyotes. Of course if you want to sit down and crush a whole tin of pellets you probably need a compressor for any pcp. For a compressor, omg thats a whole nother rabbit hole might be worse than the pcp dive. On the cheapest end you have the Yong Heng from Amazon, but needs some mods to really use long term. Another decent option is the GX Brand pumps, in particular the CS3 and CS4 with the auto shutoff. Any of the cheap compressors will likely not last long term. They dont really have good cooling/lube systems and end up grinding themselves to death. A good friend of mine has an Omega Trail Charger from AOA that has a lot of hours on it and has been great for a couple years he has owned it. Imo that is the cheapest end of the good compressors. Any of the real serious long term options are ~$1500-$5000.

And for optics, unfortunately the same rules apply as powder burners. Dont waste you time or money on cheap scopes, you still need to be able to see your target and dial elevation. Arkens are hands down the best performance value, in particular the SH4J and EPL4 are amazing scopes. There are lots of other cheap brands fellow forum members prefer that work well too like Athlon, etc.

I love what I see coming from BSA, the R12 is a thing of beauty. Im currently attempting to get in touch with AoA to work on that price. Two days, two failures. Their phone system just hung up on me after waiting on hold through their closing time. If I can get the rifle for $700, Ill do that. Otherwise, its looking like itll be a Gamo Urban or Coyote.

If I get the R10, whats everyones recommendations for air supply, ammo, and glass? And I guess same question for the gamo, a foot pump? How long does it take to pump up a Gamo Urban? And for optics, Im a shooter and have highend optics for centerfire rifles thatll work, but I have a feeling aimpoint and nightforce is a little too overkill for an airgun 😂
Get the R10. Optisan CP 3-12X32P glass, BKL 303 low rings, GX CS4 air compressor, the .177 likes heavier pellets.

Reactions: TacticalBucket
For the Gamos I have a FourUncles hand pump I use. Its probably the cheapest pump out there but works alright. With a pcp if they are empty it takes forever to fill, seems like. So I can pump up from 1500psi to 3050psi in like 80 pumps? It doesnt take too long and is good exercise. THat gets me about 30 shots in my Urban or 50+ shots in my Coyotes. Of course if you want to sit down and crush a whole tin of pellets you probably need a compressor for any pcp. For a compressor, omg thats a whole nother rabbit hole might be worse than the pcp dive. On the cheapest end you have the Yong Heng from Amazon, but needs some mods to really use long term. Another decent option is the GX Brand pumps, in particular the CS3 and CS4 with the auto shutoff. Any of the cheap compressors will likely not last long term. They dont really have good cooling/lube systems and end up grinding themselves to death. A good friend of mine has an Omega Trail Charger from AOA that has a lot of hours on it and has been great for a couple years he has owned it. Imo that is the cheapest end of the good compressors. Any of the real serious long term options are ~$1500-$5000.
If you can find a shop to fill carbon fiber tanks, that's another option.

Reactions: MongooseV8
I know I should do my own homework on the subject, but why 177 over 22?
I own the R10 in .177 so just giving my experience with that caliber. I own two other BSA's in .22 but they are not R10. I have had excellent luck/experience with the BSA brand. Beautiful walnut and steel rifles. 800 bucks for that R10 is a bargain IMO.

If you are considering a bullpup in your list a Stoeger Bullshark or Snowpeak P35 from Krale.
I have a Bullshark 177 shooting knockout slugs at 20 fpe and my P35 25 cal is 38 fpe with 25 grain

IMG_3467.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

It is to late but-the max is very good.Mine outshoots my lothar walther barreled m-rod and my avenger.Just back from MT shooting gophers out to 74 yds in fair wind. Max is good.Bench shooting 1/2 inch at 60 yds. I bought it used and have had no problems in around 2500 rds. Good luck.
Ive read good things but I dont know if their quality has slipped in recent years or what. Looking at their website, the fact that they build actual firearms in addition to airguns is somewhat concerning. I have never heard of them in firearm circles which is also concerning, and their website is something I feel like wouldve been acceptable in 1998. All that in addition to all the negative posts you can find on them here. Even the DAR gen 3 has similar issues. I just don't want anything to do with them at this point.

Lets talk...

You want a PCP for shooting Starlings. Casual shooting for a few minutes or walking around with the gun and shouldering it for several minutes at a time?

Consider the weight of the kitted out gun. You will likely not be holding and of the above PCP's at shoulder ready for minutes at a time except for the Notos. Even with a .43l bottle, Z-block and a 700mm barrel kit, it still weighs under 6 lbs.

750fps stock, it will shoot CPHP's well and it will hit minute of Starling at 30 yards no problem. It's a tube gun like the rest but the Notos can easily be changed to a bottle gun. Just about the same weight too, the tube is heavy.

I have no issues with the DAR G3, the Max or the Avenger, all three shoot, I have had them all but I only kept the Airacuda's.

In the end, the Notos gets you out the door for $250, an electric compressor off of Amazon will cost you $200 with an extended warranty and $7.00 for a tin of 500 CPHP pellets will get you stacking bodies!

Don't like it? Buy it from Midway or Natchez, both will take it back.

Last edited:
True, most entry level rifles are built in China. I do try to buy American made when possible but given the OPs budget the Avenger is a lot of bang for the buck and the savings will buy a lot of lead, or air support equipment.

The Notos is a decent option and the weight advantage and tight quarters maneuverability sure gets the check marks. Yes, it’s certainly minute of starling. However, if the OP is looking for a lot more accuracy then the ball is clearly in the Avenger’s court.

Reactions: Dairyboy