• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to get into pcp

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Take a step back and look. Put your time in and will all be good. The members on here are cautious of the new members. (To many scammers out there ) get in conversation, start a thread. Get people to know you and your interest. I found times not to rush. Just as soon as I pull the trigger on a gun, a better deal comes along.

Well for a PCP, you have to decide on an compressed air source. I used a quality hand pump for years. At the time, and really now, I have high shot count rifles. So after I finished shooting 40 rounds or so, I would give the cylinder a fill. That worked great, but then I bought an air tank. It was a bit of a pain to find a fill station, but I only needed one fill a year. That was freedom. Then I bumped into a deal on a used Bauer Oceanus. Now air is unlimited. So you might want to research those options.
In my "time" there was no cheap air compressors. Now there are plenty of options, and from a distance, they look like a PIA. I would sooner get a bigger tank, and find a friendly fire house that will do fills for a donation. Some guys need to tinker and have projects, I just like to shoot.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Yeah! and the op's name....TimeSniper...he has no time for waiting on no one!
just kidding..
10 posts aren't hard to get especially when you have questions and are a noob like me.
Haha yeah sorry to seem impatient but I’m just excited to get a rifle. I’m looking for something really accurate at 50 yards because I live on an acre. Also would like to be able to hunt rabbit with one.

nice .. id go for a .25, mines served me well even though i branched out in many directions, its still the gun to grab for 'that big one' lol .. its got good hunting power out of the box ..
Honestly the only thing that worries me about the .25 is the ammount i would have to refill the tank. The main purpose would be precision target shooting. My concern is spending $700 on a Marauder worth it or do i wait and get something a bit better and accurate that can shoot more on one fill.

Honestly the only thing that worries me about the .25 is the ammount i would have to refill the tank. The main purpose would be precision target shooting. My concern is spending $700 on a Marauder worth it or do i wait and get something a bit better and accurate that can shoot more on one fill.

What's your fill source going to be? You can get away with hand pumping. I did it for a while until I got more PCPs and larger calibers.

If you're using a compressor, who cares how much you have to refill the tank? That's why I mostly shoot 30 calibers now.

Mauraders are nice rifles but I would rather save money and look at Air Venturi Avenger, Umarex Origin... especially if you are thinking of hand pumping, those guns don't have huge bottles. Supposedly the Origin is very hand pump friendly. I haven't ever touched that gun but I've seen enough reviews that if I was getting into PCPs all over again, that would be at the top of my list. Along with the Avenger which is more tunable and has a proper regulator.

Maybe if you have $700 to spare take a look at the new Air Venturi AvengeX lineup. One of those would have almost twice the power of a Maurader in 25 caliber (or 22 caliber), supposed to be very efficient per shot, and you can get wood stock, synthetic, bullpup, tactical etc configurations. They should be available very soon.

Reactions: 450BM
What's your fill source going to be? You can get away with hand pumping. I did it for a while until I got more PCPs and larger calibers.

If you're using a compressor, who cares how much you have to refill the tank? That's why I mostly shoot 30 calibers now.

Mauraders are nice rifles but I would rather save money and look at Air Venturi Avenger, Umarex Origin... especially if you are thinking of hand pumping, those guns don't have huge bottles. Supposedly the Origin is very hand pump friendly. I haven't ever touched that gun but I've seen enough reviews that if I was getting into PCPs all over again, that would be at the top of my list. Along with the Avenger which is more tunable and has a proper regulator.

Maybe if you have $700 to spare take a look at the new Air Venturi AvengeX lineup. One of those would have almost twice the power of a Maurader in 25 caliber (or 22 caliber), supposed to be very efficient per shot, and you can get wood stock, synthetic, bullpup, tactical etc configurations. They should be available very soon.
random side question.
How do you feel about the Benjamin Kratos? Honestly I love the look of the rifle.

random side question.
How do you feel about the Benjamin Kratos? Honestly I love the look of the rifle.

I once purchased one and then cancelled the order the next morning. So I guess I like the looks of it too.

However, I wouldn't purchase a non-regulated rifle in 22/25 caliber now. Maybe big bore hunting rifles is fine. But I'd rather have an Air Venturi Avenger wood stock. I'd rather have a regulated AEA Challenger 22/25 too. Both would also save you a few hundred $ you can put towards a better compressor and optics.

Do you understand what a regulator is and what advantages it provides in terms of consistent shooting?

I have one unregulated PCP (a Marauder Pistol (aka Prod)) and 4 regulated airguns. So it is safe to say I like regulated guns. But I wouldn't be afraid to buy another unregulated if it had all the other attributes I want. I have pretty much decided I like my airguns to be short so I have three bullpups - all P35s. The P15 is the same gun (predecessor) with rear cocking and the Stoeger bullshark is only slightly different from the P35. All under $500, all regulated. If you think you might like a bullpup I would definitely look at them. I shoot from my left shoulder so the Akela was not very interesting. But I think the Benjamins built by Kral are all good looking guns that get generally favorable reviews. I've also see multiple reports of shot count around 50 with good power (to me that means 30-40 fpe). I would not take them off your list just because they are not regulated.

I see more difference between 177 and 22s than I see in 22s versus 25s. All will take small game cleanly with good placement. I have by far the least experience with the 177. But I think I am seeing a little slower death with the 177s where either my higher powered 22 or my two 25s knock them down immediately with reasonable placement. I think a 22 is a very viable choice, in other words. Ammo is cheaper, typically, and there are more varieties available. I still see good performance on game.

I also use and like my Yong Heng which I use to fill a used SCBA tank that I use to fill my guns. I hand pumped at first and it is definitely a viable option. I see no reason to spend 2-10 times the price of a Yong Heng for a compressor. Mine has required minimal maintenance (yearly oil changes and one O-ring changed). It will fill my 45 minute tank from 3000-300bar in about 15 minutes. I am not saying that more expensive compressors do not have advantages, I assume they do. But the price difference is so large and my YH works so well I don't see how they could justify their price to me. I refill my bottle about once a month. If you use a lot more air than that then maybe a better compressor might make sense but I'd try a YH first before I decided to spend thousands.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I began the PCP addiction late last year and started with the Avenger bull pup .22, like $400 , a hand pump, like $200.
I thought I was getting for pesting on the property but started getting obsessed with shooting groups while tuning.
Although you can get 30-40 shots on a fill , hand pumping to 300 bar was not enjoyable for as much as I wanted to shoot.
I bought a GX 3 compressor, like $350 on Amazon and it works like a dream fills the gun in 3 minutes. My advice , skip the hand pump , stay with .22 unless you want to shoot coyotes over 50 yards.