• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to get into big bore !

Hello everyone, 

Fairly new here, but have some air gun experience. I have all the calibers from .177 to .30 in various rifles. I have recently come across some big bore stuff, picked up a .357 pistol from Mr Hollow Point along with some awesome bullets. I have ordered an Extreme.457 and a Raw .357. 
Not sure when I will see them. I have emailed XP air guns 3x and have not heard back in 3 weeks. 
Are there any other guns that are high quality available? I am looking to just have fun shooting things a close range 50 yards and under at the range, not a big hunter here. But I like big holes and loud noises! Thinking about the Extreme .72, just waiting to see how my first dealings with them goes. 

Sounds like your jumping in big time.
1f62c.svg

My next will be and Extreme .510 cal. Just waiting for when they are available. 

I like my Daystate Safari .25 cal. but there something about the big bore air rifles that keeps my money spent.

Good luck with your big bore addiction 

Thank you for reply, I will be on the lookout for the Extreme.510. 

From one airgunholic to another... Pump the brakes! Its easy to be a kid in candy store and fill the gun safe with all kinds of cool toys ... but you will buy a wrong item or 2 in the rush.

I have been shooting big bores for over 20 years and own many different calibers. It seems the 45/ 50 cal. is a " sweet spot " for many shooters . You will get the power and fps with a huge assortment of ammo available. Once you go larger you will need to start casting your own bullets otherwise you can spend over $1.00 per round. Plus these oversized projectiles don't fly that fast out of the barrel. Im not happy with 500-600 fps. Yes, you will get tons of energy due to the weight of the bullet. But you will easily watch the bullet fly out of the barrel. 

Another issue is air. Do you own a compressor? If not that should be next on your list. These big guns suck alot of air. And if you don't have a good source, your range time will be reduced. 

My biggest caliber I shoot regularly is .58 . I like the size due to the availability of bullet molds and the verity of different weights and profiles. Plus they are very impressive when you hear the huge boom, and feel the kick when shooting them.

Just my 2 cents 

Good luck and shoot straight, 

Duke

Alkin is the way to go . 

As for manufactures of big bore you seem to have hit the major. Airforce probably has the most accessible/ affordable and high power options available. Plus they leave you plenty of room to tinker. AOA has the Bush Buck which is an off the shelf rifle with traditional styling. 

Extreme Big Bore, XP, Dennis Quackenbush, American Air Arms,etc. Are all custom gun makers that are usually are back logged for months if not years.

My recommendation is to scour the classifieds, get the word out your are looking for a certin rifle, you will be surprised what comes up. Many times you can pick up a rifle at a discounted price, without having the long wait. 

One last word of advice be cautious whether the gun is designed for bullets or pellets. There is no comparison between my 30 cal pellet rifle vs. my 30 cal slug gun. They both have there place. My pellet gun I can readily shoot in my backyard without disturbing the neighborhood. My slug gun in the backyard would send the police to my door, plus the bullet will carry a lot longer distances. 

Good luck!

Duke

Alkin is the way to go . 

As for manufactures of big bore you seem to have hit the major. Airforce probably has the most accessible/ affordable and high power options available. Plus they leave you plenty of room to tinker. AOA has the Bush Buck which is an off the shelf rifle with traditional styling. 

Extreme Big Bore, XP, Dennis Quackenbush, American Air Arms,etc. Are all custom gun makers that are usually are back logged for months if not years.

My recommendation is to scour the classifieds, get the word out your are looking for a certin rifle, you will be surprised what comes up. Many times you can pick up a rifle at a discounted price, without having the long wait. 

One last word of advice be cautious whether the gun is designed for bullets or pellets. There is no comparison between my 30 cal pellet rifle vs. my 30 cal slug gun. They both have there place. My pellet gun I can readily shoot in my backyard without disturbing the neighborhood. My slug gun in the backyard would send the police to my door, plus the bullet will carry a lot longer distances. 

Good luck!

Duke

Thank you Duke. 
I was able to pick up a .357 pistol from Mr Hollow Point and and waiting on the .357 rifle from RAW and a .457 from Extreme. I spoke with Extreme and my Booster is at the anodizer and the rifle is assembled and being leak tested overnight. Things should start coming together soon and I can post how things are going. 
What do you have for a .30 pellet and .30 slug gun ?
Thanks again for the input. 

dean

Alkin W31 vertical compressor ordered today!

That’s the one I have.. it’s a good one. You will not be disappointed

find myself with not enough bottles to fill now.
1f601.svg
Just when I get rolling it’s time to shut it down

How long have you had your Alkin? Do you have any tips ? I picked up couple guppy tanks to fill. I also run a paintball team and do repairs on paintball markers. That should keep the compressor going somewhat. 

Prior to COVID, I was at a Paintball field every weekend with endless supply of air, now not at the fields as much. 

That is a nice looking Extreme. I had looked at getting one of these or an XP to keep a set of good iron sights on, no scope, just to screw around with at the silhouette range.

Thank you, and that is all this is for, a little loud fun at the range. I have put in an order with XP but they have not gotten back to me. 
The people at Extreme seem easy to work with and very responsive.