• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to get in to Air Rifles? Great! Give me a quick read first.

Greetings,My name is Brad and the intention of this post is for those looking to get in to the PCP Air Rifles. I’m going to be direct this hobby can get expensive pretty quickly. 

Before getting started you should really look at the pros and cons of Rimfire and PCP to figure out which is best for you.

If you’re new to Rifles in general make sure not to put all your eggs in one basket. What I mean by that is don’t spend your entire budget on the rifle. Here is a list of things you also need to consider. Do yourself a favor and copy and paste some of these items you think you may need in to an excel sheet, do a little research and add up all the pricing. Remember you can always start small on the rifle and buy higher end accessories as an investment and use those on or with a bigger rifle purchase later.

Rifle Rest / Sand bags
Scope
Scope rings
Sling and the mounting hardware
Air Tank
Hunting Sticks
Tripod
Hunting Blind
Chair
Gun cleaning stuff
Gun Case
Targets/Traps
Spotter scope
Range Bag 

I wanted to share this story that begins a little over two years ago. How a simple starter $300 Air Rifle and pump combo purchase turned in several thousand dollars. You could buy a couple of nice rimfire rifles with that budget, so really evaluate if this is what you want. For me it was worth every penny. 

Things to consider before purchase.
Plenty of places at the ready to safely shoot it? If not it’s not easy to door knock asking for permission to hunt, takes a lot of knocks at the door to get a yes. 

Private gun clubs. In my area some have 3+ year waiting lists. All of them have different set of rules some more restrictive than others. Just do a little searching, they typically only have a meeting once a month so it’s better to do it now and get it out of the way. Two years later as of last week one had an opening and I got voted in. It can take some time.

Not to fear there are public ranges, you can look for those as well. But a warning about these. Public ranges seems to invite inexperienced people. I’ve had guns pointed at me while they worked on a gun jam. I’ve seen people fire when someone was walking out to put up targets. People trying to fire so quickly with a .22 to mimic a machine gun. I get hit with brass every single time I go a public range, it’s dog eat dog at this places so be careful. Private gun clubs are a better place to be, nicer ranges, safer and more respect is given and received from fellow marksmen.

Can you expand in this hobby? Outside of budget the limiting factor is air.
My first PCP air rifle was the Benjamin Discovery .22 cal which comes with a hand pump. Every 18 shots or so I’d need to pump this gun up. If you’re hunting in the woods, not too big of a deal, just circle back to the truck and fill it up. Worked out for me perfectly in this application. It’s when you take this gun to the range you’re going to realize this is a pain. 

Why? When your hunting you only shoot at game, the time between shots is pretty decent. At the range you will go through 18 rounds pretty quickly. You’ll spend five minutes pumping this up, I normally have to take a break during the pump process. But now your heart rate is up. Add time and wait to cool down so you can take a steady shot. You spend more time pumping then you do shooting if you take it to the range. Also it is quite a sight to see some goofball using what is essentially a bike pump to an on looker at a public shooting range. In this area I’ve only met one person that knew what a PCP air rifle was. I received some interesting looks and comments that’s for sure.

I knew I wanted to upgrade to something more fancy later, it was time to lay the foundation down that would allow me to expand in the hobby. That’s finding a place I could take an air tank to get filled. It took me a little over three weeks, I called 30+ companies. They did Co2 only, or most commonly couldn’t fill a tank to 4000psi. I exhausted what I thought was all my options, on the verge of giving up and stopping my new found PCP Air Rifle crack fix. In a last ditch effort I posted on a couple forms and it just so happened one member lived in my area and told me of a scuba shop, an hour and half one way that could fill them. I called and verified, I then ordered a great white tank.

Again it’s an hour and half one way, and I just moved now it’s closer to two hours one way to get this tank filled. Two hours travel, thirty to one hour wait to be filled, two hours travel back. That’s pretty much a Saturday long gone each time I need a refill. Make sure you do your due diligence, it’s frustrating and takes a lot of calls but it’s critical you do this. Don’t assume just because there’s a paint ball place near you they can fill it. One is 5 miles from here, Co2 only fills. Also all the ones I called young unexperienced employees answered and outside of their name can’t tell you anything if they can fill it. It’s almost not worth the time to call paint ball shops, at least in my area.

That $300 rifle I started out with now cost me about $900 (I went with great white tank for obvious reasons due to travel time).

The glass I had for it was a 3x9 for this rifle it’s great! For something with 200+ yard range I’m going to need something else. The sky is the limit on scopes with prices. I went with a Sidewinder Hawke 35, that’s another $700ish.

Shooting 100 yards out even with splatter targets it’s pretty hard to see. Don’t forget to pick yourself up a spotter scope, I bought a cheap $75 one, does the trick. Don’t forget a bench rest or sand bags! All things I didn’t have. Also Ear plugs, not for your gun but for everyone around you at the range firing AR15’s. Without them you’ll have a headache and run off in no time.

My history
From the age 8 I started with a BB gun and worked my way up springers in a short time, I hunted with springers consistently, around age 14 I won my first trophy at a gun club in a Jr rifle association .22 Rimfire competition. Once I hit 21 I got in to Skeet and pistol shooting. At the age 23 I had a shotgun barrel blow up on me, I physically felt one of the BB’s from the shot just rub my whiskers on my face. I haven’t shot a gun with powder since, which was 13 years ago.

How did I get in to PCP Air Rifles?
I missed shooting since my bad experience and was interested in going back in to Springers. I decided I’d start off with a really nice one. I began researching and discovered Ted’s video shooting a bird over 100 yards. I never heard of PCP air rifles and was immediately intrigued. I spent months doing research and started with a Discovery. Later I leanred all these things I needed, didn’t have or wanted. Till finally I was in a good position with my equipment to purchase a cricket last year. Since then the only thing I’ve purchased is ammo and targets. But its on going, it never stops I want a nice pair of hunting sticks or Tripod with a gun rest. But that's a good thing :) I really wish I thought a head of time before getting back in to shooting about all those items I listed. Hopefully with this share you won't be caught off guard as much as I was. 

Happy hunting!
Brad

Bradster
This is great information for new shooters. You are right, the buying will continue as I just bought a Chrony today. I would not say I'm a gun collector but I have 3 air guns now. LOL. Are you glad that you chose airguns over powder?I have to say I am very happy I choose air over powder. I shot with my brother at a local range and even with ear protection, I jumped when the gun right behind me went off. I knew it was coming but I still jumped. Damn it was loud! Air is a little inconvenient to get started but you have more options of where to shoot. I was with four others shooting the other day all talking and laughing with no ear protection. It wasn't loud accept for the laughter. I shoot several times a week off my back patio but if I used powder, the police would be there in minutes. I rarely go to the range. If I want to stretch things out I'm in the desert in minutes. Things need to be easy for you so having an area close to shoot and a good air supply are key items suggested by Brad.
Great job Brad!
Doc

Thanks for writing this. Very solid advice and I'd love to see this "pinned"

Noobs will be frustrated when they make poor decisions.

My own story... I go both ways, but almost never shoot powderburners. I'm blessed to have cheep and convient air. 10 miles from home I have an amazing club with dedicated airgun range.

If I could add anything to your post.... I'd advise connecting with a club or savvy shooter if at all possible and move slow correct choices are better than fast choices.

Well written and all good information!
Bradster - In a situation like yours, a person might consider a personal high pressure compressor as an option as well. These can be quite expensive up front. But, they can save you time and $ over the long run. "Shoebox" compressors are a little less expensive but need a standard compressor for the first stage. This can be a bonus to those that want a standard compressor for workshop applications! Having your own HP compressor can really take a LOT of stress out of shooting PCP's.

In addition, there is an ignorance about what this sport is and what it is all about. "Air rifle" just means "pellet gun" to most uneducated folks. "PCP air rifle" might just mean your either on drugs while shooting or "PCP" brand name of pellet gun to these folks. "Pellet gun" is then associated with childhood memories of varmint hunting and can plinking from 10 yards away. Doesn't matter that you said "pellet", as BB's will certainly come to mind. Unfortunately the uneducated folk you're talking to is the indoor range master/owner which is the only place you can shoot without driving some great distance. You get a "no pellet guns" answer and get to walk out frustrated because they wouldn't listen to you in the least.
One way to approach an issue like this would be to try to make an appointment with the range master/owner (both) before or after the range is open to show them what you have, how powerful and accurate it is, physically test whether any of the pellets ricochet, and let them try it for themselves. Baby steps. 

"NMshooter"Are you glad that you chose airguns over powder?I have to say I am very happy I choose air over powder. I shot with my brother at a local range and even with ear protection, I jumped when the gun right behind me went off. I knew it was coming but I still jumped. Damn it was loud! Air is a little inconvenient to get started but you have more options of where to shoot. I was with four others shooting the other day all talking and laughing with no ear protection. It wasn't loud accept for the laughter. I shoot several times a week off my back patio but if I used powder, the police would be there in minutes. I rarely go to the range. If I want to stretch things out I'm in the desert in minutes. Things need to be easy for you so having an area close to shoot and a good air supply are key items suggested by Brad.
Great job Brad!
Doc
Thanks all and I agree Doc! So nice to shoot at any time of the day or night and not wake the dead. I too shoot from my Patio at the new place picking off game from the comfort from my own porch lol. I couldn't do that with a rimfire thats fore sure. However everyone around me shoots all day long so at least no one would give me grief if I did, at least during the day.

"Tominco", a person might consider a personal high pressure compressor as an option as well. These can be quite expensive up front. But, they can save you time and $ over the long run. "Shoebox" compressors are a little less expensive but need a standard compressor for the first stage. This can be a bonus to those that want a standard compressor for workshop applications! Having your own HP compressor can really take a LOT of stress out of shooting PCP's.

In addition, there is an ignorance about what this sport is and what it is all about. "Air rifle" just means "pellet gun" to most uneducated folks. "PCP air rifle" might just mean your either on drugs while shooting or "PCP" brand name of pellet gun to these folks. "Pellet gun" is then associated with childhood memories of varmint hunting and can plinking from 10 yards away. Doesn't matter that you said "pellet", as BB's will certainly come to mind. Unfortunately the uneducated folk you're talking to is the indoor range master/owner which is the only place you can shoot without driving some great distance. You get a "no pellet guns" answer and get to walk out frustrated because they wouldn't listen to you in the least.
One way to approach an issue like this would be to try to make an appointment with the range master/owner (both) before or after the range is open to show them what you have, how powerful and accurate it is, physically test whether any of the pellets ricochet, and let them try it for themselves. Baby steps. 
I've seen them, I've been thinking about it. Right now i'm doing some other projects that have my attention right now. But I figure in the next couple of years I'm going to buy something. It's funny you shoudl say that about "PCP air rifles" When communing what they are to co-workers they always make a wise crack about drugs lol.

People used to laugh at me at the range all the time with the hand pump. Now when I hook up my Scuba tank and put a nice group on the target with the cricket, everyone comes over wondering what I have going on. From the outside looking in I would have to go over to a guy with a scuba tank hooked up to his gun, my thoughts would be what in gods name is that! lol.

I appreciate the well thought out post. but just to be contrary, I would advocate a new PCP buyer to get the very best quality PCP they can, and plan on pumping for a while before buying a tank. If a newbie decides they dont want to pursue this hobby and try to sell their Discovery or Marauder, Gamo or some such, they would be lucky to lose only 30-40%. On the other hand if they spent 1200 bucks on an S510 for example the could easily get 1000.00 back for it. Also, by buying an entry level rifle you predestine yourself to buying a better rifle as your own skill improves, whereas you probably will never outgrow an AA, FX, Daystate etc. Of course to make my case Im siting extremes, the middle ground being Sumatras, Hatsans, and such. Just my 2 cents.

I'm going from springers and nitro pistons to an FX Bobcat in .25. 

I have shot many other PCP's just not any FX product. From the peoples comments and reviews on it. I think I am in the top end of the spectrum with what I want. 

Premium, 
top end of the spectrum
will not outgrow
able to pass down to my children as they mature
No walnut stock, but that can be expanded on later with a custom deal or another investment. 
Compact/ bullpup/ carbine 

The wildcat could be the next or instead of PCP depending how the reviews go over the next few weeks. Haven't paid off my order yet. 

I do want the IMPACT when it is released. When the final specs and pricing are available, I think it would be nice to get in early on it. Since september is when they expect them to start hitting the shelves. ladies are right around the corner and it would be nice to put that empty box under the tree. 

Tanks, cases, targets, scopes, rings/ hardware, cleaning stuff - are all taken care of. 

I think another SCOPE, Range Finder, Camera, Camera Mount, and a spotter scope are the next things. 

I have been using a BOSCH laser tape for all my ranges lately. Super accurate and have had no issues with it.