Looking to buy my first PCP for squirrel hutting and plinking

THE Benjamin Kratos would be a GREAT pcp to start with if you don’t want to do any tinkering or tuning to get results. It’s available in .22 and .25 ....... and in .22 you get about 50 shots per fill on the tank before you’ll start losing accuracy. 50 yards all day long keeping the pellets in a hole the size of a nickel (or smaller). 
The Kratos is the first pcp I’ve bought and not wanted to modify something on it. I love mine. Super quiet, shoots like a laser beam, nice wood, and cocking effort is next to nothing. For your budget it may be the most bang for your buck. 
306348C2-0DCE-4500-9470-8142DE05443A.1618322536.jpeg

I love my Prod but it is a relatively low power 22 caliber. With the power turned up a little it knocks the squirrels out of my backyard trees with authority (at around 25 yards).

The traditional Benjamin for your spec would be a Marauder. You can get it in 22 or 25 and now you can get it regulated or semi automatic too but some options might get up over your price - but maybe not. Benjamin also rebrands some Turkish unregulated PCPs that look really nice and are in your price range. Unregulated just means that the velocity variation may be a bit higher and you need to vary the fill pressure based upon the hammer spring setting. My Prod came at a very usable setting and I would expect the other guns to do the same. So you don't have to mess with it if you don't want to.

I like my 25 caliber Avenger and I shoot smaller groups with it than my Prod but the Prod scope is a 2-7 and the Avenger is a 4-14. So the gun with a higher powered scope should shoot smaller groups. Both are quite accurate. Like 1/4 inch groups at 33 yards with the Avenger. It is well within your price range but has a spotty reputation for reliability. I had to return mine for leaking. It is back now and working fine. Hopefully it stays that way.

Your budget allows for all but the high end PCPs from my point of view. There are lots of offerings. But I think that price point fits Benjamin and the Turkish guns (Hatsun and Kral) best. They are nice guns that should last a lifetime and give you a lot of enjoyment. But mostly unregulated - but that is a characteristic, not an indicator of quality or accuracy.

911695A8-DFD5-44E2-A880-8EF6F1B0FDFC.1618361342.jpeg

The Kratos is slick. The shot strings with the .22 Kratos are so tight you’d swear it’s regulated. Quiet quiet quiet with the factory shroud, and the barrel is threaded so you could use an aftermarket moderator if you want instead. The Kratos is much nicer by far than the marauder. My advice, get the best scope you can for it because it’s that accurate.

741824B8-14FD-4B2E-98B8-998ECDC42CFD.1618363765.jpeg
B298D1D9-6BA5-4C68-8D9A-0968471FAD16.1618363766.jpeg
E0F8882D-8BD2-469B-8CC7-96469496E297.1618363766.jpeg
CA0150F5-C8DD-4AC1-B6A3-45DA7944BC91.1618363766.jpeg
2DBD9AA5-7542-4F1A-ABE1-2B595D4C42F7.1618363767.jpeg
Greetings Steven and all, I’m new here myself. I look forward to reading/learning from the collective experience residing here at airgunnation! I’m traditionally more of a traditional firearm user, and kind of new to this end of the shooting equation, but am gaining appreciation for air guns, especially PCP!

I recently went through a similar sort of decision process on my first PCP purchase, so I’m certainly no expert on this subject, and can only speak of my own experience. As you have described, I also spent the past couple of years messing with nitro-piston break-barrels (Crosman Fire, Gamo Magnum, both in .177) with fairly decent but laborious success in dealing with the chipmunk and groundhog population on my property. While I’m sure there are better break-barrel rifles out there, these are what I had. Issues: cocking force, poa/poi float due to the harsh forward/backward recoils of piston rifles.

Wanting to get away from these nagging issues, and after some weeks of research, I had interest in several PCP rifles, but eventually landed on the Hatsan Factor RC. (Cue the boos and hisses now!). Admittedly, I’ve seen both good and bad opinions of the Hatsan products here, but after seeing a 34:00 plus minute review on this exact rifle by fellow forum member kaylaindy, I decided to take the chance.

I can say this much, as I’m a toolmaker/mechanical engineer myself- I took heed at the mention of the use of Phillips screws and a bunch of other harsh criticisms regarding this rifle/Hatsan products in general at a glance. Sure, if Phillips screws had been used in critical areas, it would be a concern, but the only Phillips screws I’ve found on this rifle are a) on the hammer preload tension adjustment gauge plate, and b) in the side plates covering the cocking mechanism, which arrives as right-handed, but is convertible to left hand (a nice feature, imho). The rest of the fasteners on this rifle are socket-head hex or set screws (at minimum, I haven’t disassembled it completely) including the trigger adjustments. They don’t appear to have “skimped” on the business end of the mechanicals. This rifle is in .22 caliber, btw.

So- in my experience:

I found it on Krale after a period of “out of stock”. Once back in stock, I ordered it on a Tuesday evening and It arrived Friday morning (2.5 days to MI from the Netherlands, not bad), packaged in a hard-sided and padded case, in a box, within a padded box. Other than US Customs having opened it up and left the cocking lever open (can’t fault Krale for that), thus prohibiting fully re-closing the hard case, arrived with no damage, but US Customs and TSA annoy me anyway.

I picked up a compressor, and a scope (Burris 2x10-42 Verity with BDC from DVOR.COM on special @ about $289), and started shooting. Found that the trigger is very good, and finely adjustable. With about 400 pellets through so far, the grouping is starting to settle nicely. So far I have had no issues with function or power (I’m actually finding myself setting the transfer port at middle power rather than max) and the accuracy is as expected, repeating very good groups (25-50 yards) using a good rest. I get 80+ shots or so with 18.21 grain H&N Crow Magnum .22 caliber at “ideal velocity” (avg 895-908 FPS) regulated to 140 bar “guesstimating” (on-rifle gauge calibration may be suspect, please don’t slay me over this). I guess this is probably around 18-20 FPE (correction: more like 31-32 PFE- thank you, MileHighAirGunner) and that amount of energy is fully acceptable to me- I have a chipmunk issue- I don’t need to shoot bears.

Plusses: fully adjustable trigger- adjustable trigger stage overlap, sear engagement and pull force- regulated- high capacity 580cc carbon-wound bottle- 250bar pressure charge- fully floating barrel- lots of shots per fill- accurate- fully shrouded barrel and pretty quiet- has 1/2” UNF threaded barrel for additional suppression if desired (I have a Donnyfl Sumo coming)- price is reasonable- upper and lower Picatinny rail components- power/accuracy sufficient for pest control- NO LEAKS! It holds 250 bar for days sitting in the case..

Minuses: FPE is low for some hard-core air gunners- no sights or scope included- also those darn Phillips screws which have NO impact on functionality

This is not an endorsement, just my experience- (update: pretty sure I’ve got the PCP rifle bug at this point- there are likely more to come!)

Well, that turned out to be a bit lengthy- sorry for that, but I hope that some may find it useful- (should I duck now?) For Hatsan’s first entry to the regulated PCP rifle market, and I can only compare it to my experience in “ real firearms”, I’m impressed.

Best Regards!

Update: DonnyFL Sumo arrived this week- mounted it today and wow... can only hear the hammer strike and pellet impact. No readings, but using the wife’s ears as a baseline, she could hear a slight report from inside before (non-suppressed), and now cannot. Had to adjust scope 2 minutes up only- no windage adjustment needed. Grouping is as good or possibly improved a wee bit. Much better than expected results! Thanks, DonnyFL! 🙂

The Kratos does not come in a case, it does however come in the nicest cardboard box (with gray foam inserts) Crosman has ever used for a pellet rifle. Hahaha 
I believe that bipod is a UTG... I’ll have to check to be sure. It is just a basic cheapie, no pan or tilt on it. It is attached via the sling stud, I’ve not even installed the little picatinny rail they send with the rifle for bipod use. 
As far as slugs go I’ve tried a variety of weights and I only got so-so results with I think it was 23gr .218 NSA’s , but in my opinion the Kratos really shines with simply the 18gr JSB pellets (or the FX labeled ones). It shoots them like a laser beam.
Some guy on YouTube was using 20gr NSA’s in his Kratos and getting ok results. Nothing is guaranteed that you would get the same results with that slug through your barrel though. Each barrel is slightly different. 
I used the AGNATION discount code for Crosman when I bought the rifle when it first hit the shelves and got a hell of a deal. I certainly wouldn’t sell it back for what i paid for it. They are currently sold out of about everything, but it’s well worth your time to check back and see when it’s in stock and use the discount code. Big savings. 

So it does come with a little picatinny rail! I didn't know that, but it is nice to know. I planned on getting it from pyramid air instead of crosman as PA is only a tiny bit more with their coupon code, they have it in stock, and they offer a 20 for $20 where they test the gun, mount your scope, and sight it in which is appealing to me as any problems out of the box will be delt with by them. Also slugs aren't a huge deal for me, I was just curious. Thank you again for all your help and I will be ordering the Kratos once they restock on scopes! 

I get 80+ shots or so with 18.21 grain H&N Crow Magnum .22 caliber at “ideal velocity” (avg 895-908 FPS) regulated to 140 bar “guesstimating” (on-rifle gauge calibration may be suspect, please don’t slay me over this). I guess this is probably around 18-20 FPE and that amount of energy is fully acceptable to me- I have a chipmunk issue- I don’t need to shoot bears.

18.21 grain pellets at 895-908 fps is more like 32-33 fpe

Based on your reliability and accuracy goals, I can't recommend anything in that price range, unless you find a good used rifle. You can find prices on a new Weihrauch HW 100 for a bit over $1K, and it is an excellent rifle. It is the least expensive rifle I can recommend, with which I have personal experience.

Exactly, just a toss of the dice with lower end PCP's with a high potential of more 'project' than shooting.

If you LOVE shooting the GS and plinking then buy something nice that isn't a frustration creator. Last thing you want is a broken POS and having to ask MORE QUESTIONS here about how to make a POS perform.

Taipan, .22
Cricket, .22