• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to buy my first PCP for squirrel hutting and plinking

Hi everyone! I have been combing over posts and youtube videos for a while now but I am sort of lost in the choices and I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I have been doing a lot of research and I feel that I have a decent understanding of what goes into a PCP rifle but when it comes to actually choosing a gun I am just lost. I have seen lots of conflicting information about different rifles and their preformance that I just figured I would ask everyone here. As stated in the title I looking to buy my first PCP after years of using pump and break barrel rifles for the main purpose of hunting invasive ground squirrels as well as general plinking. I am looking at both .22 and .25 calibur rifles and so far I don't have a particular preference as I've only ever shot .177s. My budget is $800 for the gun alone but I could do a bit more if it was really worth it. I like the look of bullpup style rifles and I am comfortable with standard as well, so I am also not super picky here either. I do however want a reliable, accurate, and not incredibly loud rifle straight out of the box that I can just enjoy instead of constantly tinkering with it and tuning it to get nice shots. I hope this question isn't too redundant and I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

The Avenger would do it but be advised you ARE LIKELY get problems either early on or down the line.

$600 is enough to buy 2 of them since its likely you will need the extra one when ones in the shop being fixed or swapped for another new one.

You will see what I mean if you buy the Avenger. It's not a matter of IF, it's only a matter of WHEN (TIME) before the already well known (and accepted) weakest link fails that doesn't even have a replacement part number for.

Hopefully it fails right b4 the 1 year warranty expires so you get a fresh new one but good luck after that one fails. Marketing genious IMHO have to keep buying new ones after warranty is up.

Now that THATS out of the way...

3 YEAR WARRANTY and cheaper with a REALLY crappy hand pump included...

I bought one and the hand pump is still in the box and I never intend to use it.

I only fill to 2200psi maximum. It's night and day quieter than my friends Avenger.

We have a bet who's gun is gonna fail first.

I am hopeful-!

https://youtu.be/4A9ruyVPboc

I'm prejudiced on Hatsan guns that cost more than $500 and all of their semiautos.

The quality of their machine work is pretty terrible and spending more than $500 for this brand is not for me especially when there's Kral brand from the same country better machine work better consistency no regulators needed simple accurate did I mention no regulators needed?

I do like the HATSAN Flash and Vectis and AT4410 and ATP1 and ATP2. That's about it. 

Such crappy machine work as the brand typically exhibits they just keep on keeping on reliability wise.

If you don't mind single shot, Krale in the Netherlands has a used Air Arms 400 FAC rated 22 for sale, price $684ish, plus shipping. Ignore the second price of $800 something that is EU price. Here is the link: https://www.krale.shop/us/air-arms-s400-sl-xtra-fac-o790/

Both Krale and Air Arms have a strong reputation here and the 400 series of rifles from what I have seen is considered a work horse. Also, don't worry about buying from overseas from Krale. A LOT of people here buy their stuff from Krale, and shipping is minimal and very fast to USA. For now I live in the Netherlands and before lockdown, I was to Krale many times, it is where I bought my FX Impact MKII. Krale is a huge gun/outdoor sports shop, largest in the Netherlands.

Also, I am sure Krale has given the gun a once over and it might be worth sending them an email to ask about the gun.

400.1618300177.PNG

Reactions: Jim W
If you don't mind single shot, Krale in the Netherlands has a used Air Arms 400 FAC rated 22 for sale, price $684ish, plus shipping. Ignore the second price of $800 something that is EU price. Here is the link: https://www.krale.shop/us/air-arms-s400-sl-xtra-fac-o790/

Both Krale and Air Arms have a strong reputation here and the 400 series of rifles from what I have seen is considered a work horse. Also, don't worry about buying from overseas from Krale. A LOT of people here buy their stuff from Krale, and shipping is minimal and very fast to USA. For now I live in the Netherlands and before lockdown, I was to Krale many times, it is where I bought my FX Impact MKII. Krale is a huge gun/outdoor sports shop, largest in the Netherlands.

Also, I am sure Krale has given the gun a once over and it might be worth sending them an email to ask about the gun.

400.1618300177.PNG

$684 is expensive for a USED AA S400 (even for an S410 repeater). Appropriate used price for an FAC AA S400 is in the $400 - $450 price point.