Looking to buy an air tank.....???

I'm wanting to buy an air tank.....my first air tank. Since I've recently purchased a second PCP and a new Yong Heng, I'm ready to have more of my money disappear over the event horizon of this black hole I guess. At present I'm considering a tank around the 73 Cu Ft size.......not really big but not a "pony" sized tank either. 

Have any of you purchased from Air Tanks For Sale......Joe Brancato's company?

Thank you fellas in advanced

TR

He is good to deal with especially if you want made in USA tanks as there are few around.

You also want the biggest tank you can manage cuz sooner or later you are going to wish you had it.

I get five or six full pressure top offs for my 580cc tank with the Great White and then many more partial fills until I can tether to it at gun pressure. That's pretty much a full days target shooting, tuning and plinking, with several guns, all in one tank. It's hard to beat that.

Then you can put some ice in your Yong Heng reservoir a fan blowing through the back of it and top off the tank in 15 or 20 minutes without stopping.

IMG_20220108_185059.1641697064.jpg
Their great. tank and Foster fittings made in USA. Get the option with removable hose and second gauge.they filled my tank too. Went back to by original foster fitting to remove hose. 

I have both 6.8L and 9L carbon tanks, one is a complete Joe B tank, the other his valve and carry kit on a tank I got off ebay. 6.8L tanks are marketed as 74/75cu ft, and the 9L size you'll marketed as 87-100 cu ft, but understand they are the same physical internal size. From a portability perspective, the size and weight difference is not enough that I ever feel the need to reach for the smaller tank. If I had it to do over, I would have gone straight to the 9L. Like BIO said, even the 9L isn't much air when you are topping off bottle guns to 250 bar. The tank itself is not super important outside of the size. It's the valve you want to pay attention to.

Joe B valves are designed for airgun use and are high quality. Nice features:

• Super compact arrangement, large quality fill gauge and bleeder built into the valve.
  • Have an extra gauge port that shows tank pressure all the time. This is extremely convenient, enough so that I sourced a bigger/better gauge for that spot. I use it all the time.
  • if you get all-inclusive option comes ready to go with a 40" fill hose and foster nipple adapter screwed into the DIN300 port on the valve. Fittings are stainless steel USA made Foster brand. Hose is high quality, rated for pressures much much higher that we would need.

I haven't personally used an Air Venturi valve, but I've talked to people that have and they won't mess with them any more. The other valve I've seen that is nice and supposed to be made in the USA is the Omega HP3, but that may be harder to find, and not sure I've seen it combined with a 9L tank on any website yet.

If you get a Joe B tank, I recommend just getting all the options which includes carry handle and feet. Its nice to be able to stand the tank up vertically on the floor, or set it on its side in the back of a vehicle or on top of a shooting bench. The individual pieces to that kit seem like you should be able to get them elsewhere for cheap, but they are actually pretty hard to source.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Joe B has the best tanks packages out there with the carrying system and valves etc I just got one off the classifieds a month ago and love it. A close second would be the air marksman's tanks that Utah Air sells. They have no carrying option (bags etc) but do have a dual gauge valve and come with a fill hose you can't go wrong with either one and I think the 74 cu/ft (6.8 L) is the perfect size. I also have two SCBA tanks since I got them for free from a friend in the fire service but I don't really recommend that route unless you can get them for free or can fill yourself if you can then get the air tanks plus fill system which is great. 

I appreciate all the response and information from you fellas. From all I have been able to read and hear thus far, Joe B's tanks and related equipment are all high quality and top notch. Not inexpensive thats for sure.....but really quality stuff. I have been leaning toward his Tiger Shark 73 Cu Ft tank. But now I believe that the larger Great White 97 Cu Ft tank will most likely be the choice. As far as the external physical dimensions go, the 97 Cu Ft tank is only slightly larger than the 73 Cu FT tank. So it's not like having a much larger tank to haul around really. So....I'll most likely order his Great White with the "all the gauges, lines and armor" package on Monday maybe. Unless something comes along and changes my mind. Thanks again for the advice and information..........TR

Inocom is the same place the makes Omega Tanks for Air Guns of Arizona

They just now finally got shipment of about 200 of the 5 CF tanks after the New year and the one I ordered arrived.

I have no issues with it being made in S.Korea. and it has the DOT number so it's compliant and most shops will fill it.

I have a local Scuba shop that I took it too. Charges $10 a fill. Initially he told me he could only fill to 3600PSI as his new $20K compressor has the auto shut off set to that.

He told me it was set up that way for his employee's (Safety and not having to worry about them not paying attention and blowing stuff up).

But he told me to leave it and he would mess around with it. So, here's to hoping he can regularly fill my bottle to 4500.

Eventually I will get a compressor and not have to worry.

Something to consider regarding tank size is if you're primary fill source is a Yong Heng, you may want to go with a smaller bottle as it will be easier on the compressor to fill. I have a few different size bottles, and an Air Venturi 4500 that likes to break down. Consequently, I have a Yong Heng for back-up, and when I am using the Yong Heng, I primarily shoot off my 15 minute (pony) bottle. Yong Heng's don't like to be run for more than 15-20 minutes at a clip anyway, so to fill a bigger bottle from 3000-4000 psi is going to take a couple of cycles. A pony bottle it will do in one shot.

If you're shooting off-site, away from your compressor often, a bigger bottle makes sense. If most of your shooting is done on a home range, you may be able to get away with a smaller bottle, which is cheaper and easier on a Yong Heng to fill.

Yong Hengs aren't the best compressors for filling larger bottles. They can do it, and may people do, but it is certainly harder on the compressor and potentially increasing the service you will have to do to keep your compressor running.

I keep thinking that the newer tanks with 5,000 PSI or more will be released soon and we will ge more fills for the same size tank. Every PSI above the fill pressure of a gun will mean more fills. Not sure why the pressures aren't being made available sooner. I believe the Fire men are into the higher pressures, and I would like to hear if anyone has been able to use it for our purposes.

I keep thinking that the newer tanks with 5,000 PSI or more will be released soon and we will ge more fills for the same size tank. Every PSI above the fill pressure of a gun will mean more fills. Not sure why the pressures aren't being made available sooner. I believe the Fire men are into the higher pressures, and I would like to hear if anyone has been able to use it for our purposes.

Sorry but the next question would be... how many compressors can you count on one hand that can pump up to 5k psi on a repeatable basis reliably time and time again? Now out of those compressors how many can do it for under $5000? $3000? It would have to be direct to bottle as well as the majority of our big fill tanks are not rated for 5k fills, which would not fill a tank on a gun to 5k even if it could hold 5k.

Our local Scuba store has a great compressor which can handle such pressures, and how much more would it take to go further? In reality it may be a steeper climb than i thought. And cost logistics might just push this back for some time. There are some very knowledgeable and experienced people of varied talents represented in a Forum. Light on a subject is always well appreciated.