• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to buy a Weihrauch HW97K in .25 caliber - wise choice?

Well, tonight, after a LOT of research, I pre-ordered a Diana 460 Magnum in .22 caliber from Air Gun Depot. It's rated at 1000 fps, which was one of my criteria, but I don't know the mass of the pellet they used. The Diana 460 Magnum is an under-barrel gun and I chose it over a break barrel so I would not have to put up with barrel droop. AGD said the 460's were supposed to be back in stock by Jan 4, 2021.

Now, I've got to decide whether I want a 3-9x40 scope or a 4-12x40. The scope is a Hawke Airmax - AO. All the reviews lead me to believe it'll handle a springer's recoil.

Anyone have any advise/thoughts on which scope i should go with? The 4-12 only costs $30 more than the 3-9.

Not to put a wet blanket on your enthusiasm but you are not going to get 1000 fps with any usable pellets. You should rate the output in FPE instead of velocity. The D460 in 22 cal is rated between 18 - 22 FPE depending on the pellet. You might can get 1000 fps with some alloy pellets but I doubt you will get accuracy more than 10 yards if that. I use 14 gr FTT pellets in my D460 and if I remember correctly I get about 800 fps.

Well, tonight, after a LOT of research, I pre-ordered a Diana 460 Magnum in .22 caliber from Air Gun Depot. It's rated at 1000 fps, which was one of my criteria, but I don't know the mass of the pellet they used. The Diana 460 Magnum is an under-barrel gun and I chose it over a break barrel so I would not have to put up with barrel droop. AGD said the 460's were supposed to be back in stock by Jan 4, 2021.

Now, I've got to decide whether I want a 3-9x40 scope or a 4-12x40. The scope is a Hawke Airmax - AO. All the reviews lead me to believe it'll handle a springer's recoil.

Anyone have any advise/thoughts on which scope i should go with? The 4-12 only costs $30 more than the 3-9.

Not to put a wet blanket on your enthusiasm but you are not going to get 1000 fps with any usable pellets. You should rate the output in FPE instead of velocity. The D460 in 22 cal is rated between 18 - 22 FPE depending on the pellet. You might can get 1000 fps with some alloy pellets but I doubt you will get accuracy more than 10 yards if that. I use 14 gr FTT pellets in my D460 and if I remember correctly I get about 800 fps.

Oh, I know I'm not going to be getting 1000 fps with my new D460, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting more with it than a gun advertised as producing only 755 fps, like some I was looking at. I get an average of 834.5 fps from my FX Royale 400 shooting H & N Sport, Baracuda Match, 21.3 gr pellets - it has spoiled me.

Hey all. I've been searching for an under barrel springer (I like the idea of a continuous barrel) and I looks like I've settled on a Weihrauch HW97K. I looked at the Air Arms TX200 MKIII and Hunter Carbine, but don't think they come in .25 caliber. The reason I want a .25 cal is because I already have two nice PCP's (an FX Royale 400 and a Benjamin Marauder) in .22 cal and just want something different. Also, it would be nice to have something that didn't require me having to monitor the gun's air pressure. I have a 4500 psi air tank that I use to keep my PCP's aired up - but it would be nice to just cock snd shoot, over and over.

Is the Weihrauch HW97K dependable? I don't know anything about how to tune an air rifle, so I don't think that will be happening.

I briefly thought about going with another .22, but just want a .25.

Bobby

Consider the John in Pa tuned Beeman HW97k .22 I have for sale in classifieds. 

Well, I changed my mind and bought a .22 Weihrauch HW97K - correction, I bought an Air Arms TX200, not thr HW97K. Since the D460 I had ordered a few days ago was on back-order it was easily to cancel that order.

I took me forever to decide, but I just liked it when folks said the 200 shot like a tuned gun right out of the box.

Opinions certainly vary. I have an HW97 and it can't match my LGU by a large margin and my LGV will also regularly shoot smaller groups. Few absolutes are accurate. But I'm sure the OP will enjoy his rifle and that is all that matters.

Same here. My 22 & 177 LGUs will out shoot my HW97K every time. I disagree with his opinion about Dianas also. My D54s and D56s are some of the best built guns I've seen. I don't have an AA TX200 so no opinion on it.

Dang, I must be loosing it. I didn't buy a Weihrauch HW97K like I said. I guess I was looking so hard for so long at one, it got engrained in my mind. What I bought from Air Gun Depot was an Air Arms TX200 (beech wood). When I asked you folks which one folks thought was best, it was about a 50/50 split, every other person liked one airgun over the other for various good reasons. A lot said that I wouldn't be disappointed with which ever one I got. What swayed my mind with that many said the TX200 shot kind of like a tuned airgun right out of the box, while many said the HW97K often needed a tune - and I know nothing about how to tune an airgun. Mostly I'll just just be target shooting off of a rest and many said the added weight of the TX200 would be a plus. I don't know if this TX200 will shoot as accurately as my FX Royale 400 (a PCP gun shooting 21 gr pellets at 834.5 fps that can place pellets in the same hole at 20 yards) - we'll see.

I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas. I'm from Ga, but am currently in Austin, Texas visiting my oldest son, his wife and my 5- and 3-yr old grandsons. Those two boys wore me out!

Opinions certainly vary. I have an HW97 and it can't match my LGU by a large margin and my LGV will also regularly shoot smaller groups. Few absolutes are accurate. But I'm sure the OP will enjoy his rifle and that is all that matters.

Same here. My 22 & 177 LGUs will out shoot my HW97K every time. I disagree with his opinion about Dianas also. My D54s and D56s are some of the best built guns I've seen. I don't have an AA TX200 so no opinion on it.

With regards to the HW97 and the LGU/LGV, both have strong points. The Walthers have (out of the box) a better shot cycle, but the HW is sturdier. The trigger really lets the LGU/LGV down. I own both and if I had to pick one; hands down the HW97.

HW97: Solid machines steel. My Diana's (350, 34 & 5g): weak plastic, aluminum & sheet metal. The folded sheet metal cocking arm and piston are particularly weak and are a known Diana problem. Silly aluminum scope rail. Philips stock screws. Flimsy plastic rear sight which arrived broken on my 350 and broke with the slightest knock on my 5g. Barrel droop has been so common on Dianas for decades, that you can even buy off set mounts for them. I could go on, but when it comes to Diana, no they are not in the same league, even a budget Cometa is better made. The only place where they still somewhat sell is the USA. Why? Who knows?

With regards to the HW97 and the LGU/LGV, both have strong points. The Walthers have (out of the box) a better shot cycle, but the HW is sturdier. The trigger really lets the LGU/LGV down. I own both and if I had to pick one; hands down the HW97.

HW97: Solid machines steel. My Diana's (350, 34 & 5g): weak plastic, aluminum & sheet metal. The folded sheet metal cocking arm and piston are particularly weak and are a known Diana problem. Silly aluminum scope rail. Philips stock screws. Flimsy plastic rear sight which arrived broken on my 350 and broke with the slightest knock on my 5g. Barrel droop has been so common on Dianas for decades, that you can even buy off set mounts for them. I could go on, but when it comes to Diana, no they are not in the same league, even a budget Cometa is better made. The only place where they still somewhat sell is the USA. Why? Who knows?

Your opinion is just that and carry no more weight than any other opinion.. I am happy with all my Dianas, HWs and Walthers. If you don't like Dianas, enjoy your chosen models.

Your opinion is just that and carry no more weight than any other opinion.. I am happy with all my Dianas, HWs and Walthers. If you don't like Dianas, enjoy your chosen models.

You are right, it all depends on what you like. If you like poor quality control, flimsy materials and poor cost / benefits, whilst thinking that you are buying a dream rifle: Diana might just be your thing.

It is indeed my opinion based on owning and working on these brands, that AA and HW are vastly superior to Diana. I however, do not seem to be the only one:

Check this out: https://www.whfto.com/index.php/whfto/worlds-2019-results only one Diana at place 41 ( a model no longer made). The top ten places are all HW and AA. How odd.

Why is Weihrauch the second largest airgun maker (after Gamo) in the world and by far the largest in $300+ range? Diana is not even in the top 5.

Why has Diana gone bust twice in the past years? Because they sell that much? Why are they currently rebranding SPA PCPs because their own p1000 was such a hit? No because the thing has had issues from the get go and many vendors still refuse to stock them...

Why do the leading makers of after market springs, triggers, pistons , stocks etc, make hardly anything for Diana? Because they cannot be perfected upon? Really?

If I'd been proposed with OP's original question before I owned this .25 52 tuned by JIPA, I would've thought it an unwise choice that may leave owner wanting more. Since I know what to expect from a good springer platform, I'm extremely impressed and happy with this .25. It surely surprised me & disappoints only in a slight nod to HW in appearance. But hey, I wish Tim Eink, GinB, homemade bling, type gear would be around more, so I have to give the HW in .25 a green light if my opinion matters. This is also short of seeking out a refined Theoben or Webley if we're talking best of the .25 springer arena 
In 10-20 years those .25 HW's will be welll worth it tuned at 12 to 25ftlbs. No real need to ask for more. Enjoy the platform for what it is. Super smooth & super precise. 
Mine is incredibly precise sending 20.06 FTT's avg 680fps. Best all around target & pesting pellet for this platform/caliber.

16.54 GTO's avg 765fps. This is your ticket if trajectory/speed trumps kinetic energy delivered on target at longer ranges. Pricey but absolute best accuracy at high speeds for platform/caliber.
25.43 JSB Kings sail along at an average of 643fps. I'd say the best pellet for expansion & long range target due to highest bc. 
D2086543-00D1-4D92-A884-FFA1841BB7CA.1609098563.jpeg