• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to buy a Weihrauch HW97K in .25 caliber - wise choice?

Hey all. I've been searching for an under barrel springer (I like the idea of a continuous barrel) and I looks like I've settled on a Weihrauch HW97K. I looked at the Air Arms TX200 MKIII and Hunter Carbine, but don't think they come in .25 caliber. The reason I want a .25 cal is because I already have two nice PCP's (an FX Royale 400 and a Benjamin Marauder) in .22 cal and just want something different. Also, it would be nice to have something that didn't require me having to monitor the gun's air pressure. I have a 4500 psi air tank that I use to keep my PCP's aired up - but it would be nice to just cock snd shoot, over and over.

Is the Weihrauch HW97K dependable? I don't know anything about how to tune an air rifle, so I don't think that will be happening.

I briefly thought about going with another .22, but just want a .25.

Bobby

They are trouble free and dependable however having mostly 177 HW77s and 97s and last one I got is a 22 97k kinda bummed only shooting 700fps and tuned by John in PA not his fault it's more power than before and I can only imagine how slow a 25 cal will shoot. JMHO. 

Probably OK if you only shooting close range then go for it. You probably more accurate with a 22 P-Rod in this case for the same money.

Only 25 springers I would consider buying is the RWS 54 or 56 specifically but probably loopy trajectory too in 25. At least they should hit their mark with minimal effort and wouldn't be shooter error due to recoil.

Thanks guys. I'll probably be shooting under 40 yards, maybe 50 - 60 just for kicks. I shoot in my yard and like to kill tree rats who tear up my bird feeders. I read somewhere the HW97K in .25 can hit up to 610 fps, but I don't know the pellet size they used.

Today, I shot my FX 400 ten times over a chrony and got an average of 834.5fps shooting H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.3 gr pellets. I weighed ten of them and they averaged only 21.04 grains. Using an Airgun Energy Calculator I found online, I find those pellets were knocking out an average of 32.54 ft-lb of energy, No wonder they cold kill a squirrel so easily.

I'm looking to buy some JSB Match Dabolo Hades, 26.54 gr pellets for the .25 caliber HW97K and if it can give me 610 fps, I calculate I'd only be getting 21.93 ft-lb of energy from it - and that doesn't sound good to me. I may have to rethink this purchase.

Is there any .22 under barrel springer that can compete with my FX400?

Hey all. I've been searching for an under barrel springer (I like the idea of a continuous barrel) and I looks like I've settled on a Weihrauch HW97K. I looked at the Air Arms TX200 MKIII and Hunter Carbine, but don't think they come in .25 caliber. The reason I want a .25 cal is because I already have two nice PCP's (an FX Royale 400 and a Benjamin Marauder) in .22 cal and just want something different. Also, it would be nice to have something that didn't require me having to monitor the gun's air pressure. I have a 4500 psi air tank that I use to keep my PCP's aired up - but it would be nice to just cock snd shoot, over and over.

Is the Weihrauch HW97K dependable? I don't know anything about how to tune an air rifle, so I don't think that will be happening.

Bobby

You will be very disappointed with a .25 HW97K unless you want to keep your shots under 40 yards on squirrel sized kill zones. You would be delighted with one in .177 or .20.

Thanks guys. I'll probably be shooting under 40 yards, maybe 50 - 60 just for kicks. I shoot in my yard and like to kill tree rats who tear up my bird feeders. I read somewhere the HW97K in .25 can hit up to 610 fps, but I don't know the pellet size they used.

Today, I shot my FX 400 ten times over a chrony and got an average of 834.5fps shooting H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.3 gr pellets. I weighed ten of them and they averaged only 21.04 grains. Using an Airgun Energy Calculator I found online, I find those pellets were knocking out an average of 32.54 ft-lb of energy, No wonder they cold kill a squirrel so easily.

I'm looking to buy some JSB Match Dabolo Hades, 26.54 gr pellets for the .25 caliber HW97K and if it can give me 610 fps, I calculate I'd only be getting 21.93 ft-lb of energy from it - and that doesn't sound good to me. I may have to rethink this purchase.

I do have a BSA Lightning GRT in 0.25 which is a fine squirrel killer out to about 40 yards. I wish I had bought it in .22 or better still 0.177. It is a real tack driver and shoots H&N FTTs at 600 fps for about 16 fpe. It is a nice light rifle with an excellent factory shot cycle. Id be quite surprised if you got much more power than that out of a 97k.

Leave the .25 cals for PCP rifles unless you really just want a sweet shooting short range stoner for shooting squirrels over a feeder at 25 yards.

I have an HW97 in .177, with a 12 fpe Vortek kit. It's a sweet shooter, although I spend almost all my shooting time with PCP rifles. I also have e Royale 400 in .22, a great shooter.

I would not consider a .25 in a spring gun as very desirable, just my opinion. I think they are great for backyard and short range plinking. When you get the power level into the FAC class, the PCP platform is, for me much more enjoyable.

Bobby

You will be very disappointed with a .25 HW97K unless you want to keep your shots under 40 yards on squirrel sized kill zones. You would be delighted with one in .177 or .20.

I do have a BSA Lightning GRT in 0.25 which is a fine squirrel killer out to about 40 yards. I wish I had bought it in .22 or better still 0.177. It is a real tack driver and shoots H&N FTTs at 600 fps for about 16 fpe. It is a nice light rifle with an excellent factory shot cycle. Id be quite surprised if you got much more power than that out of a 97k.

Leave the .25 cals for PCP rifles unless you really just want a sweet shooting short range stoner for shooting squirrels over a feeder at 25 yards.

That's right I almost forgot about the 19.91gr H&N FTT / Diana Magnums in 25 cal. Still would shoot too slow in the HW97 IMHO.

I have a 25 cal D56 which is a real power house for a springer. It will not compete with a 30 + FPE PCP. I got it in 25 cal because I didn't see anyone else with the caliber and I love D56s and D54s. I wouldn't try to compare it to a powerful PCP., If you want a 25 you will come out better getting a 25 Gauntlet or Avenger for far less than a HW97K.

Well, looks like I’m going to get a .22 caliber springer. Thought about a .177, but it sure is little. Most of my tree rat shots are head shots and my Royale 400 smokes ‘em. But sometimes I miss the head and hit their shoulder or neck and they hop around a bit and die. I’m not sure a .177 would do.

I’ve been looking big time and have narrowed my choices down to the follwoing three (all are rated as 1000 fps guns, but since I like to shoot a heavier pellet, know that 1000 fps ain’t possible):

1. Hatsan 125 ($349.99) – not sure which though, spring or vortex (probably vortex) - cocking effort is around 50#

2. Diana 460 Magnum ($399.99) – cocking effort, 36#. At 8.3# it weighs a pound less than the Hatson 125

3. Diana Model 350 Premium N-Tec Magnum ($479.99)– weighs even less, 6.7#

I’m leaning toward #2. Diana 460 Magnum.

An HW97 is always a wise choice. IMO everyone should own either a 97 or TX200.

If you want a .25 get a .25, but I am not sure what advantage .25 will have over .22 in an HW97. I don't think you are going to see more than 600 fps (someone please chime in if you know differently!) You'll probably end up sticking to the lighter.25 caliber pellets which you can match grain for grain with heavy .22 caliber pellets, and with a .22 you go down in weight for flatter trajectory.

If you're looking for something different and want an underlever, I'd recomend an HW97 in .20 caliber. Just my 2 cents.

As far as "tuning", an aftermarket spring and guide are easy to drop in and will reduce the buzz. YouTube videos show you how.

Good luck. 

So, many great suggestions, thanks guys.

Bobby

An HW97 is always a wise choice. IMO everyone should own either a 97 or TX200.

If you want a .25 get a .25, but I am not sure what advantage .25 will have over .22 in an HW97. I don't think you are going to see more than 600 fps (someone please chime in if you know differently!) You'll probably end up sticking to the lighter.25 caliber pellets which you can match grain for grain with heavy .22 caliber pellets, and with a .22 you go down in weight for flatter trajectory.

If you're looking for something different and want an underlever, I'd recomend an HW97 in .20 caliber. Just my 2 cents.

As far as "tuning", an aftermarket spring and guide are easy to drop in and will reduce the buzz. YouTube videos show you how.

Good luck.

The more I thought about it, the more I came to think there is no advantage in a 97 in .25 over a 97 in .22. I'm just disappointed the 97, .22, is rated no more than 755 fps and I'm thinking that 755 is with a light-weight pellet. My Royale 400 shooting a 21gr pellet at 834 fps, has sure spoiled me.

Well, tonight, after a LOT of research, I pre-ordered a Diana 460 Magnum in .22 caliber from Air Gun Depot. It's rated at 1000 fps, which was one of my criteria, but I don't know the mass of the pellet they used. The Diana 460 Magnum is an under-barrel gun and I chose it over a break barrel so I would not have to put up with barrel droop. AGD said the 460's were supposed to be back in stock by Jan 4, 2021.

Now, I've got to decide whether I want a 3-9x40 scope or a 4-12x40. The scope is a Hawke Airmax - AO. All the reviews lead me to believe it'll handle a springer's recoil.

Anyone have any advise/thoughts on which scope i should go with? The 4-12 only costs $30 more than the 3-9.

There's nothing wrong with larger calibers for lower powered guns, as long as you can switch to lighter pellets when you need to. For example, my .22 HW30 (with Vortek stage 2 kit) sends a 14.3 grain H&N FTT down range at 512 feet/sec which is equivalent to a Crosman 1322 at 10 pumps. If I need a flatter trajectory, the H&N FTT green 9.56 grain reaches 672 feet/sec.

It's the same with my HW95 with a Vortek stage 3 kit. It sends the H&N FTT 14.3 grain down range at 720 fps. Switching to the H&N green 9.56 grain gets me 930 feet/sec, and 18.4 foot pounds. Franklly, 930 fps borders on supersonic, and I don't think it's that accurate out of the HW95. Also, the lighter pellet also loses kinetic energy at a much greater rate. At 15 yards it has lost 24% of the muzzle kinetic energy, while the heavier 14.3 grain only loses 11%. 

The heavier, larger caliber .25 pellets give you more down range kinetic energy. But what if you want a higher velocity? The lightest .25 pellet is around 17 grains, and will limit your HW97 to the low 600 fps range. 

The main problem with .25 is that it restricts your velocity options.

Well, tonight, after a LOT of research, I pre-ordered a Diana 460 Magnum in .22 caliber from Air Gun Depot. It's rated at 1000 fps, which was one of my criteria, but I don't know the mass of the pellet they used. The Diana 460 Magnum is an under-barrel gun and I chose it over a break barrel so I would not have to put up with barrel droop. AGD said the 460's were supposed to be back in stock by Jan 4, 2021.

Now, I've got to decide whether I want a 3-9x40 scope or a 4-12x40. The scope is a Hawke Airmax - AO. All the reviews lead me to believe it'll handle a springer's recoil.

Anyone have any advise/thoughts on which scope i should go with? The 4-12 only costs $30 more than the 3-9.

OH-OH disregard what I said. You will learn how it is to be HUMAN!

Oh and buy the scope mounts from EBay instead that is priced to perfectly match the Hawke of your choice.

If you want to try something different in a larger caliber especially a springer, Try a Hatsan 135 QE in .30 cal.

I did and it is a blast to shoot. Yes it is harder to cock but I think the more I shoot it the easier it will become.

Most feedback is very positive and they only cost $300.

It has many nice features like beautiful wood stock, adjustable recoil pad and adjustable check piece.

I have a TX200 in .22 caliber and I love it but I think shooting the .30 caliber is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck !!