Looking FORWARD to the new Taipan?

Looks like Taipan is finally coming out with a forward cocking lever.
6CFD6051-0E3A-4043-A50C-73C328BF6179.jpeg

Reactions: Mr.H and EdinGa
I am liking the new design. The new upper brings the barrel down a bit closer to the air tank.

My only concern is it looks like they had to reduce the diameter of the shroud which means more moderation might be required to maintain current sound levels making the gun longer. But that's a minor concern. Overall looks like a well thought out redesign.

If you zoom in the on the breech you can clearly see Veteran II. What I can't read is the fill pressure - if it's 250bar or 300bar. Not that it matters much as I only fill my airguns to 260bar (for a 250bar fill after cool down).

I've got an original Taipan Mutant. It's the last bullpup I'd ever sell. I only had two complaints of an otherwise perfect air rifle. The shape of the factory stock never bothered me at all, just the cheap type of wood used which had deep grain. I ordered a custom stock which is exactly the same shape as the factory original but in a nice walnut finish. Their stock shape may be ugly in photos but it feels perfect in the hand. The rear cocking lever position wasn't ideal but at least they made it reversible for us lefties. I bought an aftermarket 3D printed biathlon lever on this forum that makes the rear position much less objectionable. I've never bought any brand of air rifle that was as refined in so many ways as the Taipan. Perfect trigger, no mechanical noise in the firing cycle, extremely quiet shrouded barrel, amazing accuracy, and metal work finished to perfection.

What I don't like to see in this new forward lever design is its placement within the stock. This is just like an FX Crown stock where it is necessary to remove parts in addition to taking off the stock screws in order to access the action. The sidelever on this Taipan must be removed in order to remove the stock. That is not a user friendly design choice.

Why is the cocking lever touching his trigger finger? Looks way too low.
MACTEN

I have a Taipan Veteran and like you the one thing that stuck out for me on the new design is how close the cocking lever is to the trigger finger. I would be curious to handle one in person and see what the clearance is between the two.

-PJ

Reactions: MACTEN