• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for the elusive tune

Unable to get to the range today, I setup my rifle, rests, remote trigger and Triggercam in my kitchen looking out the window. Watching my reticle for movement at 32X dry firing with the remote trigger showed only the slightest movement, a fraction of the center dot reticle which I believe is .1 mil, so a fraction of .1 mil. If I held onto the bottle I saw absolutely no movement, so perhaps another set of rubber bands for the front rest.

I’m going to be shooting roughly 19 different pellets and slugs at fifty yards measuring velocity at the current regulator setting (145 BAR as measured by a HUMA regulator testing gauge) and noting precision. Once I find a few that are showing reasonable precision I will then do another test at various hammer spring settings. As the group of pellets gets smaller I will test those at various regulator settings tweaking the hammer spring tension to see if I can improve the precision.

Slugs after the baseline test will most likely have to be tested at various regulator and hammer spring settings, so I’ll be spending a great deal of time at the range looking for the elusive tune for a select group of projectiles.

I may end up with different hammer weights or springs and likely try the adjustable HUMA regulator. Some have said the RAW regulator holds or is more consistent than the HUMA, but because the HUMA is a bit smaller it offers a bit more plenum volume. I’m not sure it is enough to be significant, but I also will test the latest HUMA regulator to see if indeed the RAW regulator is more stable.

The good thing there is so much testing ahead of me is it allows me to hold off with another air rifle purchase for the time being. However, looking is not expensive.

RAW HM1000x Ransom Rest and trigger TriggerCam.jpg

Hope you get the tune you are wanting with the ammo your barrel prefers! The OEM RAW reg is more consistent than a Huma, it's made really well but like you said, the Huma is smaller and adds more plenum space. If you are looking for more plenum space, Bhaur here makes external plenums/SSG's and valves for easier power, a more quiet report if interested. Beautiful stock, beautiful gun! Have fun tuning, shooting.

Reactions: qball