• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for some guidance and input from some of the machinist on the forum

If I had the space I'd have a bench mill and lathe, see the space part. Even a cheapie from Harbor Freight is better than nothing. I'm still waiting for my Round-TU-Its to arrive. only been 18 years no rush.
Yes that would be my choice. I am still trying to find a deal on a small box & pan brake that will bend 1/8 in mild. I would have much more use for it that the mill.
tim

I cut resin all the time on my wood lathe. I run a laguna lathe and always use carbide tools. I find that carbide will cut through damn near anything. I even turned a seashell pen cast within resin. It cut great, I would say cutting a simple PLA / ABS 3d printed moderator would be super simple then with a bit of sanding yahtzee.. Providing I understood your post lol :)

Reactions: Hw9720
3D stuff is nowhere near the quality of a machined or molded part. Granted a machined part, if not mass produced can cost significantly more, and a molded part MIGHT be more depending on volume and mold cost.
3D printed’s original name was “Rapid Prototyping”, then when someone got the idea they could make and sell items that were rapid prototyped, that description was kind of saying you weren’t buying the production model. So some genius got the industry to change the name to “3D printing” with all its ugly raster.
There are some really good 3D machines but most basement 3D’ers don’t have them.
Don’t get me wrong, 3D printing has its place. The last four years before I retired in July had me working with 3D plastics and stainless. It was definitely cool. My employer has spent millions of dollars 3D printing valve configurations in one piece that in no way could possibly be made conventionally. But, they did not look like a 3D, or as the next generation name “Additive Manufacturing”. They go to extremes to make it a nice looking part without that ugly raster typical on printed parts. I look at 3D stuff like comparing a document you downloaded to a printer as compared to the early days of faxed documents. They were ugly, but they got the job done.
Doesn’t bother me if others like it or make money off of it, I just avoid anything 3D printed. Who knows what the future holds.

Reactions: survivor45
3D stuff is nowhere near the quality of a machined or molded part. Granted a machined part, if not mass produced can cost significantly more, and a molded part MIGHT be more depending on volume and mold cost.
3D printed’s original name was “Rapid Prototyping”, then when someone got the idea they could make and sell items that were rapid prototyped, that description was kind of saying you weren’t buying the production model. So some genius got the industry to change the name to “3D printing” with all its ugly raster.
There are some really good 3D machines but most basement 3D’ers don’t have them.
Don’t get me wrong, 3D printing has its place. The last four years before I retired in July had me working with 3D plastics and stainless. It was definitely cool. My employer has spent millions of dollars 3D printing valve configurations in one piece that in no way could possibly be made conventionally. But, they did not look like a 3D, or as the next generation name “Additive Manufacturing”. They go to extremes to make it a nice looking part without that ugly raster typical on printed parts. I look at 3D stuff like comparing a document you downloaded to a printer as compared to the early days of faxed documents. They were ugly, but they got the job done.
Doesn’t bother me if others like it or make money off of it, I just avoid anything 3D printed. Who knows what the future holds.
I can get pretty darn close....
PXL_20230111_044003029~2.jpg

Reactions: Firewalker