Looking for scuba compressor 4500 psi

I checked out that Diveinn site and could not find a address or phone number for them either, great price but I would not deal with a outfit for a high dollar item that will not list a address or phone number, suspect they are overseas somewhere? Recommend checking the nameplate and make sure the motor is 60Hz instead of 50Hz. 

Nuvair, has a MCH6 with a Honda for the same price, but what I find interesting is the price has been removed for the electric versions?

Now that I got mine home, and the plug installed, I thought I would post a few pictures. Let me say: the vertical configuration is REALLY nice with the roller feet-super easy to move around for one person!

F3D164D8-9F7A-4061-9008-9AEE4A848C22.1606583238.jpeg
0B6FA21B-7AFB-44C4-8D61-FBBE84CC075D.1606583240.jpeg
5AF19A91-31AB-4DED-85B8-6CE6E0649548.1606583241.jpeg
4456C0D9-EE25-4F65-939F-3C57EC57A1F4.1606583243.jpeg

I like having the hour counter on the unit as well. You can tell this unit was designed right. Talking to David, he made it clear the the parts sourced in the unit were German or other high quality parts-and it shows in person. Definitely happy with my purchase!

I just need to wait for my male-to-male foster fitting to arrive now (included by Alkin).

Sean

I should also add: David (user: AlkinCompr) has been super helpful to me (as has Steve, aka Humdinger, here on the forum). David reached out to me to ask if I had any questions, based on my post here at AGN. Since then, he has emailed me, texted me, called me live on the phone, and PM’d me to answer all my questions. That includes texting me back within minutes, after hours, for simple questions I had. This kind of support definitely makes spending a little more money well worth the expense.

Additionally, the unit came with a 44 page parts book that has exploded views of exactly how the unit is constructed, with part numbers for everything, and wiring diagram for the whole unit! The only thing it doesn’t have is torque specs-but I’m certain David will provide them if I ever needed them.

The parts book is separate from the 55 page manual of operation...

Hope that information helps.

Sean

I checked out that Diveinn site and could not find a address or phone number for them either, great price but I would not deal with a outfit for a high dollar item that will not list a address or phone number, suspect they are overseas somewhere? Recommend checking the nameplate and make sure the motor is 60Hz instead of 50Hz. 

Nuvair, has a MCH6 with a Honda for the same price, but what I find interesting is the price has been removed for the electric versions?

Nuvair does not list the basic price. Their quoted price for the 220v (it is 60hz) MCH6 is $2500 in the standard airgun/paintball configuration which includes a PMV, hour meter, dry air filter, fill whip with shutoff valve, bleed valve and foster fitting, and your choice of 300 or 330 bar safety valve. They are in California and so am I - that's just one reason I bought from them.

It had been awhile since I have been to Nuvair site, I thought the prices were listed for the different versions of the MCH6 ? If memory serves they had prices for their other compressors and thought it was strange the MCH6 electric versions did not have prices listed?? They must be really pushing the Honda powered versions, Im sure if they listed the prices for the electric versions like the 220v version that you had quoted they would sell more, Im sure Jarmstrong would rather gone thru Nuvair.

If I lived close to Nuvair and at that price of $2500 for the 220 version, it would be an easy decision to buy. I have the Daystate/Coltri 220v compact version. Didn't know they had a 330 bar saftey valve thought 310 bar was the highest.

The Alkin will also fill breathing air to right. For scuba. Is sounds like the nuvair is not for breathing air.

The Alkin IS a breathing air compressor. While taking to David from Alkin, he informed me the compressor is designed and sold for naval applications-primarily to be used on submarines to fill dive tanks. So yes, these are designed for breathable applications. Good enough to breath, good enough for my RAW. :)

Sean

Reactions: TRIPP
The Alkin will also fill breathing air to right. For scuba. Is sounds like the nuvair is not for breathing air.

The MCH6 certainly can do breathing air. When I ordered my MCH6 from Nuvair, I was asked if I would ever be using it for breathing air. I said that I would only be using it for filling airgun tanks, at which time they suggested the drying filter cartridge which would provide dryer air and last longer than the breathing filter cartridge. The breathing filter cartridge has some toxin filtering elements at the expense of some of the drying element. The filter cartridges are replaceable so you can install either type.

MCH6 drying filter cartridge:

https://www.nuvair.com/filter-cartridge-for-nuvair-3-3-5-coltri-mch6-max-air-35-and-nautica-filter-housing.html

MCH6 breathing filter cartridge:

https://www.nuvair.com/products/purification/hp-elements/for-nuvair-3-3-5-coltri-mch-6-american-airworks-fast-35-max-air-35-and-nautica.html

You can use either, but unless you are actually going to fill breathing tanks, the drying cartridge is the better choice.

We’re talking big money units. Are they all continuous duty rated? . Alkin is I don’t know if the others are. I would assume Bauer would be. Nuvair and coltri ? Anyone know . I think that’s pretty important but who rates them so and how do you find out.

Any one know more on that subject?

What do you mean by continuous duty? The Alkin, Bauer, and Coltri are all capable of filling large tanks from empty without any cool down period.

Unless you have the automatic condensate drain, you should manually drain the condensate about every 15min, or after filling each tank. So you should not be running any of them "continuously".

If you intend to run any of them continuously, you should order them with the auto start-stop and auto condensate drain.

We’re talking big money units. Are they all continuous duty rated? . Alkin is I don’t know if the others are. I would assume Bauer would be. Nuvair and coltri ? Anyone know . I think that’s pretty important but who rates them so and how do you find out.

What do you mean by continuous duty? The Alkin, Bauer, and Coltri are all capable of filling large tanks from empty without any cool down period.

Unless you have the automatic condensate drain, you should manually drain the condensate about every 15min, or after filling each tank. So you should not be running any of them "continuously".

If you intend to run any of them continuously, you should order them with the auto start-stop and auto condensate drain.

I can only speak for the Alkin, from what I know: by 'continuous duty' it is intended to be used in a dive shop, submarine, etc where it can continue to turn around and keep filling, tank after tank (with proper procedures, of course-such as draining the condensate at appropriate intervals, etc). Similarly, it could be used to fill tank after tank for air gunning applications as well (obviously).

That is the understanding of 'continuous duty' as I understand it.

Reactions: TRIPP

I can only speak for the Alkin, from what I know: by 'continuous duty' it is intended to be used in a dive shop, submarine, etc where it can continue to turn around and keep filling, tank after tank (with proper procedures, of course-such as draining the condensate at appropriate intervals, etc). Similarly, it could be used to fill tank after tank for air gunning applications as well (obviously).

That is the understanding of 'continuous duty' as I understand it.

Then all three (W31, MCH6, or JR II) can do that. But if I was filling tank after tank, all day, every day, I would not buy any of the compressors under discussion. I can't see them doing that on a submarine. Maybe at a busy dive shop. In which case there are much better compressors for that purpose.

The term continuous duty? I posted that as a question. Maybe we have some engineers who can answer . I think it’s pretty critical to the discussion. What it means to me is it can run continuously. BUT it think it’s also a term which is applied to equipment and related to strength and durability.

"Continuous duty" would typically mean that the equipment will reach a thermal equilibrium at a safe temperature while continuing to operate.

If it is "intermittent duty", then it must be stopped and allowed to cool every so many minutes. Otherwise, it would overheat and potentially suffer damage.

Strength and durability would be more related to the service intervals, not the duty cycle.

Would it mean anything if I told you I AM an engineer (Mechanical)-because I am one?

Regarding appropriate selection for a dive shop: whether or not there are better choices for the application is irrelevant. What the manufacturer is saying is that it is CAPABLE of serving that function. Plenty of small shops, on a budget, may need a unit that’s economical, such as a $3k Alkin W31.

Regarding the submarine: that is exactly who Alkin said the W31 was designed to service and is the single largest customer of the W31 unit. Maybe they lied to me, I can’t say: but that is exactly what they told me for this unit’s application.

Your comments about thermal equilibrium are spot on. There is a big fan that blows air over the heat sinks for air cooling on the unit. They specify needing a minimum of 24” from each side for proper airflow and operation. Thus I’m sure the airflow and heat transfer calcs have already been performed to operate (likely for an 8 hour day, or longer) without problems.

If you want a better answer, call Alkin directly and get them to tell you their meaning of ‘continuous duty’ and what it assumes.

Sean