Looking for scope recomendations

I have been bitten by the air gun bug and bought an M3 in .22 cal. I have cheap 6x24 scope which performs well for tuning and target stuff. I love to squirrel hunt in the Eastern hardwoods for grey squirrels. I have found by the time I fiddle with the focus/parallax to get my quarry in focus the shot opportunity has often evaporated. I am looking for a scope in the 4-12 power range that does not have a focus knob or parallax adjustment but has good optical and mechanical qualities. A rangefinding type of reticle is a must have and tactical style turrets would be nice as well. I am an moa guy but would go with the mil system if necessary. Looking for something $400-500 Less is better. Any ideas that you could share?

Thanks! Twodogs

I have been bitten by the air gun bug and bought an M3 in .22 cal. I have cheap 6x24 scope which performs well for tuning and target stuff. I love to squirrel hunt in the Eastern hardwoods for grey squirrels. I have found by the time I fiddle with the focus/parallax to get my quarry in focus the shot opportunity has often evaporated. I am looking for a scope in the 4-12 power range that does not have a focus knob or parallax adjustment but has good optical and mechanical qualities. A rangefinding type of reticle is a must have and tactical style turrets would be nice as well. I am an moa guy but would go with the mil system if necessary. Looking for something $400-500 Less is better. Any ideas that you could share?

Thanks! Twodogs

You say cheap 6x24, was the focus on the front objective? Combine that with a large objective and short depth of field and it can be a problem for sure.

I would consider a scope with a smaller objective lens which will increase depth of field and make those parallax adjustments less fussy.

Even if it had side focus you could, in theory, leave it set at an intermediate setting and use it like a fixed parallax scope. And that could be adjusted from situation to situation.

One that came to mind where first reading your post was the Optisan 3-12x32. But I don't recall if it has tactical turrets or if there is an MOA reticle option.

Scouty,

Yes, the focus is on the front. It is a Konuspro 6-24 x 50. Targets are fuzzy if the focus is off by 10 yards. It is very cheap but it holds zero and adjusts appropriately. I will look in to the the Optisan thanks!

The 50mm objective is probably causing much of this issue. And if the front AO is as sticky as either of my front AO scopes I can imagine the issue would be even worse.

But before you jump all of the way into a smaller objective lens scope I would at least see if you can look through a scope with a decent side focus. Adjusting the side focus becomes second nature fairly quickly.

You may want to look at this model and set the parallax for 25/30 yard range and you should be good for MOS out to 50 yards.

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-3-9x40-amx.html 

This is the scope on my HW95L using SportsMatch T04C medium rings.

IMG_4166-R.1633028622.jpg

There are a few 50 yd parallax scopes out there that probably would suit your needs. The Leupold 3-9 EFR is a fine scope. It does have a front AO adjustment, but as others have said, set your focus between 35-50 yds and use it on 4 or 6 power. You're not going to get a graduated reticle or tactical turrets. But assuming you are hunting squirrels 30-60 yds, you probably know your holdover/under points without having to rely on the reticle.

Yes try what L.Leon said. I shoot several NRL22 style matches a month and once I start a stage I never touch the parallax. Some stages have targets say at 75,125,175 and past 200yds. I’ll set it in the middle say 150yds and shoot the stage and never adjust it. I do this no matter the distance and I’ll shoot 99% of the stages on 10X. So if you set yours on the 20yd range and the power on 6-10x it should help.