• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for recommendations

I have a coyote problem that I'm hoping an air rifle can help with. I live on 5 acres and can shoot but would rather have a quieter solution. My neighbor recently lost there small dog to a coyote and we also have 2 small dogs so I'm concerned. I see the coyotes almost daily, usually just a quick glimpse, but they also "pose" within 20-30 yards so I can get a shot with some luck. Is an air gun an option? Currently I only have some handguns and a 20ga shotgun with some left over #6 shells from my bird hunting days. I hate to use the handguns as they are usually a bit too far out and they would carry far enough to have to limit the safe shooting lanes. So the main question is, is there an air gun that could put the hurt on a coyote?

I’m gonna step outside the box here and say please don’t shoot to hurt the coyote. I am all for shooting and killing them but not wounding them to keep them away. The way I look at it is they are in their mind just surviving, and not being evil animals. I actually hate coyotes, wolves, and other what I call eggeatinganimals like raccoons but I don’t want them to suffer because I understand the way they are is how nature has taught them to live their lives. But if you want to shoot and kill them there’s plenty of airguns that can do this at far past 30 yards. What would your budget be? You mention using a firearm so I imagine noise isn’t an issue? And #6 shot at 30yds wouldn’t be a good idea, that’s more for closer range on small animals like dove to pheasant. Do you have a source to fill a pcp air rifle? Any scuba shops near by?

Not to contradict crittahitta, but, An AirForce Condor in .22 cal is lethal on coyotes within 30 yards. Carefully place your shot just behind the front shoulder and he'll drop like a stone. Beyond 50 yards, I'd upgrade to .25 caliber with the same gun and use slugs. I have lots of experience shooting coyotes out to 80 yards. I got one last night, in fact, with a modified AirForce Condor .25 at 75 yards. But an inexpensive, box stock AirForce Condor in .22 will more than do the trick out to 30 yards. Just make sure to set up a target at that range and make sure you find a .22 cal pellet that flies straight at your set velocity out to 30 yards. Practice practice practice. When you're confident that you've found a workable combination of pellet and power setting, then take him out. Used Condors with effective moderators can be had for less than $500. If you need further help from me, PM me. It would be my pleasure to help you.

BeemanR7

We have fences but they come through the gate to the back half of our property and just up the driveway. No way to keep them out.

The 20ga is a Browning OU. Older model, non chromed barrel. Not sure if it's ok to shoot slugs with it. I only shot quail and chuckers so usually #6 or #8, never slugs. 

I'll look up the Condors and do some reading. I assume a "moderator" isn't someone on the forum but similar to a silencer? 

If you buy a box of 3 inch magnum, if your gun is chambered for 3", 20 gauge with no. 4 shot, it would be deadly on coyotes at 30 yards or under. Pattern your shotgun on a large piece of cardboard at that distance and see how many bbs hit the kill zone. I would rather do it with an airgun and there are a lot of .25 cal. pcps that would do the job.

Good luck,

Bob in WV

If you're going to lung shoot a coyote, you'd want to go with a magnum powered .25 or a larger caliber like a .30 or .357. If you're going to brain shoot them, some of the more "normal" .25s would work. Not saying a magnum powered .22 couldn't handle lung shooting one. But the bigger the overall hole you can make, the better. 

The Condors are great guns. But the full length Condors, which are the most powerful Condors that would let you lung shoot a coyote with a heavy .25 slug, aren't suppressed from the factory. You'd have to buy your own suppressor. The SS Condors are shorter and less powerful, but still plenty powerful and you could ethically lung shoot one out to 50 yards or so shooting a lighter slug. The SS guns come suppressed. You might look into a .25 Condor SS and plan to shoot 45-50 grain slugs out of it. 

And when you're done with the coyotes, you'd have a fun gun to play with that would be an almost all-purpose hunting airgun.