Looking for owner experience with the Snowpeak PP20 10 meter pistol

Took about three seconds to find this review -

Is this you...same name, very similar wording to the post... Seems you've been...looking some time !

Mike

Took about three seconds to find this review -

Is this you...same name, very similar wording to the post... Seems you've been...looking some time !

Mike
No, I saw this as well this morning. Not very informative is it.

While on one hand, it did tell me a lot more than I knew previously about the gun. On the other hand, yeah, it's a little short on overall detail.

And, for what it's worth, while yes, more money, I'll stick with my Steyr LP50 Sport. And I can even add a red dot sight to it, so my old eyes can make out the target. AND...its a five shot, semi-auto shooter, by design.

Though, I am always looking...

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller
Mike,
I really like the Steyr, but as I am not a serious competition contender, I cannot justify a $2,000 pistol, especially when comparing it to the $450 cost of the PP20. The LP50, as nice a pistol as it is, it is very difficult to add a moderator and the semi-auto feed does not play nice to increased power changes. I am certain your LP50 will continue to hold its value as long as you just leave it alone. The PP20 interests me because the trigger appears better than previous models and it has functioning open sights. It appears that the barrel and shroud is the same as the PP700SA, which means that I can attach a laser to the side of the shroud and easily mount a moderator. I am not certain, but it looks like it also has an 11 mm rail, so I should be able to mount a red dot reflex sight. Like you, I find these the best sight for PCP pistols. The downside of the PP20 is it is Chinese and will suffer their QC problems. I think it safe to assume there will be those issues, but like with my two PP700SA's, they are resolvable. A bigger problem is the air cylinder. Removing the cylinder to charge it is truly stupid, inconvenient and trouble prone. This is especially true when they already have a similar tube for the PP700 that uses a trouble-free probe.

Mike,
I really like the Steyr, but as I am not a serious competition contender, I cannot justify a $2,000 pistol, especially when comparing it to the $450 cost of the PP20. The LP50, as nice a pistol as it is, it is very difficult to add a moderator and the semi-auto feed does not play nice to increased power changes. I am certain your LP50 will continue to hold its value as long as you just leave it alone. The PP20 interests me because the trigger appears better than previous models and it has functioning open sights. It appears that the barrel and shroud is the same as the PP700SA, which means that I can attach a laser to the side of the shroud and easily mount a moderator. I am not certain, but it looks like it also has an 11 mm rail, so I should be able to mount a red dot reflex sight. Like you, I find these the best sight for PCP pistols. The downside of the PP20 is it is Chinese and will suffer their QC problems. I think it safe to assume there will be those issues, but like with my two PP700SA's, they are resolvable. A bigger problem is the air cylinder. Removing the cylinder to charge it is truly stupid, inconvenient and trouble prone. This is especially true when they already have a similar tube for the PP700 that uses a trouble-free probe.
In red above -

The way that the pellet feed works on the LP50, the power (low or high), really makes no...difference to the way it all works.

I don't see the PP20 as having an actual rail, 11mm or anything else. The way it "appears", that the rear sight sits on a small squared off shelf.

I also have a PP700SA. Nice gun. I put a red dot sight on it for my old eyes to see the target better with, and some grip tape on the right side of the factory grip. I'd like to get one of the "used to be available" wood grips for it...but I guess that's out.
I think that there was a guy making nice wood grips for them, that frequents this board, but don't recall who it was. So...the grip tape will have to do for now.

And as for the high dollar for the LP50, yeah... Not married, so that's not a problem. And...being retired has been good to me !

Mike

Reactions: aroundlocks
I'm my humble opinion
Snowpeak/smk/ Artemis are all rough around the edges but once polished up are fantastic guns.
Orings are crap for a start but just replace them.
My advice is if yo are capable of tearing it down" do so and sort the bad bits.
Just because you have one pistol with an error it's not the end of the world as every other manufacturer wouldn't exist.
You already have one pistol from them ask yourself if your happy with it.
I always like the underdog.
Nice looking pistol by the way
Regards
Paul

Ok the initial failure was caused by me when I took the grip of and failed to see a small pin fall into the abyss..
I replaced that pin and she fires as intended.
The cylinder holds just fine when not on the pistol, however I just filled it to 100 bar and after only 25 minutes, it’s almost empty.
Shop I bought it from has offered to allow me to return it (bought on close out) because I contacted them about it not working within a 7 day inspection/fire period.
I have a rebuild kit for an original LP2. I’m going to try those parts to see if she holds air any better..

Ok the initial failure was caused by me when I took the grip of and failed to see a small pin fall into the abyss..
I replaced that pin and she fires as intended.
The cylinder holds just fine when not on the pistol, however I just filled it to 100 bar and after only 25 minutes, it’s almost empty.
Shop I bought it from has offered to allow me to return it (bought on close out) because I contacted them about it not working within a 7 day inspection/fire period.
I have a rebuild kit for an original LP2. I’m going to try those parts to see if she holds air any better..
I hate to say this, but I think you are the problem, not the gun. You should never let the tank pressure drop below the regulator pressure, because they will leak.......it's normal.

There was no booklet, just a fold out describing the parts and a diagram. Certainly nothing as comprehensive as Steyr or Pardini
Steve-I
Thanks for the tip. My scuba only had enough to get the cylinder to half full and that pressure would not hold. So I got out my Hill pump and pumped it up to the maximum SAFE according to the manometer. And I am happy to report that pressure has held fast for the last 8 hours.
Now to get it properly sighted in and start shooting!

Steve-I
Thanks for the tip. My scuba only had enough to get the cylinder to half full and that pressure would not hold. So I got out my Hill pump and pumped it up to the maximum SAFE according to the manometer. And I am happy to report that pressure has held fast for the last 8 hours.
Now to get it properly sighted in and start shooting!
What is a scuba?