• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for my first PCP-input appreciated

Actually, my first air gun. I’ve done hours and hours of reading and watching videos. Not sure I’m any closer to a purchase. 

Here are my requirements/wants:

1: Compact and light carbine. I would prefer under 6 pounds (without scope) and under 32” deployed (if collapsible or folding stock, even better). 

2: Quiet. Backyard quiet. Hunting near hikers and tree huggers.

3: .22 or .25 caliber

4: accurate enough for squirrel hunting 

I have a Kidd Custom Ultragrade 10/22 that I bought thinking that I would add a suppressor once the NFA was repealed (this was supposed to happen in the first 100 days of Trump’s administration). So, I need something quieter and more compact. I would prefer to be able to pack it in a small backpack

Here are the platforms that I am looking at:

EdGun Leshiy classic - meets all requirements, but can’t find one

EdGun Leshiy2: a lot more $$ for stuff that isn’t as important to me and also can’t find one 

FX Wildcat mKIII compact: this one is right at the top of my weight and length requirements. Also can’t find one

Benjamin Marauder Pistol: would add a folding stock and suppressor. This one is actually available 

Artemis PP700 or 800: would add folding stock and suppressor these are available, but not sure about accuracy and quality 

Artemis PP750 add suppressor retractable stock is kind of cool

I’m sure there are others that I’m missing that would fit the bill

I came into this hobby with a very similar set of criteria. I went with the P-rod but decided against the plug and play folding stock options mostly because the shortest length of pull with the folding stock would still be too long for my youngest son. 

I started with my own DIY folding stock but that got put on hold when I bought a Classic Leshiy.

I still have my P-rod and mostly use it as a loaner gun. I do like it. I seem to have done well with the barrel lottery so I'm going to keep it.

Here is an thread that was bumped recently comparing the P-rod to some of your Artemis options.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/artemis-pp700sa-vs-marauder-pistol/

I squirrel hunt with a .25 Leshiy, 350mm, Huma 12 ft/lbs reg, Dedal Stalker shooting 25 grain JSB Heavy. The pellet is traveling 620 for 20 FPE. With barely a pith of sound. Harvesting a squirrels 🐿 is almost too easy. Frankly it’s not even a real challenge because that combo is accurate, deadly, and dumps all of the energy into the animal.

Portable? Heck yes. I take the thing into my deer stands and kill a little time before deer start moving squirrel hunting when they eat my deer corn. It’s no problem at all to carry a .308 and this Leshiy in my pack. 

Be patient and buy one. I can’t say anything about the other choices listed so this write up is not a comparison, just a testimony as to how good a Leshiy classic is and will check all of your boxes.

How about a silenced compact airforce .25? Like an escape ss or there's some other compact .22/.25 whose name eludes me. Pretty good price, but single shot and some folks just can't deal with the airforce design at all... it is a bit odd. I like it.

981D9900-8C0D-4E41-B920-03513A944AC4.1605061743.jpeg

Better questions is, what will your second gun be? :) 

But if you think 1 gun is enough, it would also make sense to spring for a high end gun too and not waste money on to eventually buy a high end gun that you've always wanted. To me, having more than 1 such as the PROD, I can take that thing around and drop it a few times and not really worry about it, and then keep something like a leshiy2 as a garage queen. 

The Benjamin Marauder pistol does sound good there -- 22 and a carbine option, compact and light, AR-15 type folding stock readily available to make it even more compact and more easy to cheek-weld ...

It's not all that quiet, though. If you are thinking of being quiet, you'll hear gun nuts saying everything is quiet WAY quicker than you'll see neighbors and wives saying it.

Reasons re airguns in general:

1. You don't care

2. There is still a considerable sound when you hit the target, be it animal or otherwise. Even with a moderator(LDC, whatever). You may not even hear anything from a moderated gun but then be startled by the electric nailgun sound of the pellet landing.

You should consider a moderator as part of your expense. Unless neighbors are truly far away and/or laid-back.

You may have a serious safety issue here...

A pellet can travel several hundred yards FYI...

I wouldn't shoot anything based on this and not even a low powered 177 caliber no matter how quiet it is because you never know where the pellet will land and there's people around that can be at any place at any time well hidden behind grass and shrubs even off of a hiking trail...

Screenshot_2020-11-10-22-59-15.1605085233.png

If I were to blatantly disregard the safety of others I would shoot the loudest airgun I could find so people hiking in that area would know I'm shooting something for them to get the hell far far away from there.

Wow. A lot of assumptions made. I’m actually a hiker, backpacker and hunter. I’m new here, but I’m 50 years old and have been hunting for over 30 years. I know and practice gun safety. I know my target and what is behind it. It’s a huge leap from what I wrote to ‘blatant disregard for the safety of others’.

I will attempt to clarify one time and then I’ll just throw myself at the mercy of the internet taskmasters. I don’t hunt right next to hiking trails. I do however use them to access hunting areas. If I can throw my gun in a backpack and blend in with the hikers, there is much less chance of unnecessary confrontation with the militant anti-hunting crowd.

The quiet requirement is more for practice at home. I have an acre wooded lot with a safe backstop. I do have some anti-hunting/anti-gun neighbors. Therefore, if they don’t hear me shooting, they don’t have to get triggered. 

I do appreciate the good advice in this thread. I trust my clarification has appeased those who were concerned for the safety of those around me. 

BTW, one thing I have noticed in my few days of airgun research is that several of the sponsored 
YouTube airgun channel guys have terrible muzzle discipline.