• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

looking for info on what thermal scopes you use and do/don't recommend

i'm looking at the ATN Thor 4-18 or 7-28 for small game and pest within 100 yards. i have an eagle 1-5 zoom(not thermal) so i don't think the 4-8 zoom will get me close enough to pick a humane shot. does anyone own any of these or compareable scopes to talk about the pros and cons and other info that i might not be aware of. In thermal does it even matter if i'm within 100 yards? small game will be pigs and and pest are even smaller like mongoose and birds. of course it sucks that with ATN i'll be paying for but losing the good options like the balistic calculator and other things that can't be picked up using PCP. Well anyway, i'm really curious to hear what anyone has to say. 

Aloha John,

I would look at the thor 4 640 resolution scopes. I had the thor 4 384 4.5-18 and was not impressed with the clarity. I now have the thor 4 640 2.5-25 which is very clear. I have the ABL 1000 mounted to it, yes its heavy but I don't carry the gun, I shoot from a tripod. 

What island are you on, I'm on the big island (Kona side) if your on the big island and want to see how's the image quality let me know.

Aloha, Keone

Hey Keone,

i wish i was in Big island, you guys got better action there. i'm on oahu just trying to hold the fort down from the pest and once in a while maybe venture in the mountains for some pigs. The 384 is already over my budget, but i read its still entry level prices so just a matter of me convincing the other half that its a necessity haha. as for the clarity i'm not much in to watching my stuff on the big screen and just viewing through the view finder. so is there also alot of difference viewing through both scopes?

Hey Keone,

i wish i was in Big island, you guys got better action there. i'm on oahu just trying to hold the fort down from the pest and once in a while maybe venture in the mountains for some pigs. The 384 is already over my budget, but i read its still entry level prices so just a matter of me convincing the other half that its a necessity haha. as for the clarity i'm not much in to watching my stuff on the big screen and just viewing through the view finder. so is there also alot of difference viewing through both scopes?

Howzit John,

When I had the 384 set to white hot, the pig was just white, you could see the shape. But the 640 set to white hot, I could make out the shape and hair follicles. This made it easier to put a pellet down its ear or right above its eyes.

I'm originally from Oahu, grew up in Kailua & Kaneohe. I used to hunt the Koolau's, from Pali to Haiku. But that was before I got into airguns, used dogs & a knife.

I know what you mead by having to convince the other half, my warden/accountant always ask me "what is it for" "how much do you need" I tell her you can never have enough fishing or diving gear, now its never having enough airgun gear.

Good luck with your quest for a thermal scope.

Aloha, Keone