Air Arms Looking for help with a leaking AA S510XS

I pulled my AA S510XS out of the safe this morning. The air tank still showed 250 BAR even though it hadn't been shot in several months. Well, I took the first shot and air started leaking out of the holes around the barrel shroud [see picture below]. It stopped after a few seconds, so I took another shot, it did the same thing, it didn't all leak out, it just leaked air for a few seconds after the shot. Could this be the regulator leaking or something else?

AA S510XS.jpg

I'm not that familiar with these air guns, so I'm proceeding with caution. I started to disassemble it this morning to see if I could see anything obvious, but I couldn't even get the barrel off! I did degas it and when I started to air it back up, pressure would not build past about 60BAR and the air was leaking out of the same location. It didn't mater if the Breech was open or closed or if the hammer was fully cocked or not. I see PA sells an O-Ring kit for it, but without any knowledge on how to take it apart, I'm reluctant to even order the kit. Anyone have have a link to a good tear down video for this air rifle? At this point I have no idea what may have let loose internally, so I don't know what parts I should be looking for. Thanks in advance for any help.

It was purchased January 2022 from PA. I checked their website and it does show it has a Lifetime Limited Warranty. But, I hate mailing air guns for fear of them being damaged in transit! I still haven't figured out how to get the barrel out, maybe it was glued in, I don't know. It looks like there are only 2 screws holding it to the breech, but it won't budge. Neither will the shroud, so that may be glued as well.

But, the air cylinder unscrewed pretty easily and I replaced to 2 visible O-Rings. I got lucky and had a couple on hand that fit. I just filled it to 200BAR and air is no longer leaking out the holes at the base of the shroud. I'm going to let it sit a couple hours to see if it's holding at 200BAR and will probably top it off to 250BAR and let it sit overnight. Fingers crossed this fixed it!

Those HOLES on the shroud mount collar are strictly AIR VENTS for the shroud.
Air that exits muzzle partially fills shroud with a slight pressure increase and with the muzzle exit and those holes the pressure should release as a pulse during the shot ... BUT NOT KEEP BLEEDING AIR for seconds or more after ???

Is this what your saying is happening ?

Those HOLES on the shroud mount collar are strictly AIR VENTS for the shroud.
Air that exits muzzle partially fills shroud with a slight pressure increase and with the muzzle exit and those holes the pressure should release as a pulse during the shot ... BUT NOT KEEP BLEEDING AIR for seconds or more after ???

Is this what your saying is happening ?
Yep, that’s exactly what was happening. I have not shot it yet to see if it’s still doing it. I wanted to make sure it would hold pressure over night. I’ll test it in the morning to see what happens with the new o-rings.

Last edited:
If it's the same o-rings that failed on mine, it was a relatively easy fix. I just unscrewed the air cylinder and replaced the two o-ring at the breech end of the air cylinder. They are 2.5mm x 23mm Buna 70, I had got them from the O-Ring Store. I feel I got lucky and was able to fix it myself!

Out of curiosity, what do they charge for a full refurb? These two were easy enough, but if some others decide to go, I'll probably do the same!

Pricey for a complete job that I was not prepared to do myself, about $120.00. Having second thoughts about possibly trying it myself.
If they do a complete teardown and replaces all the seals and o-rings, it might not be too bad, but I would definitely try replacing those 2 o-rings first!

You can get 100 of them from Amazon for less than $20! I'm sure they are cheaper and available in lesser quantities from the O-Ring Store.

Reactions: nortac