• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Looking for DIY Impact butt pad alternatives

I received my new FX Impact MK2 yesterday and for the most part I'm very pleased with it, the one thing that bugs me is the butt pad, I've tried sliding it up and down, but no matter how I position it I find it digs into my shoulder due to the shape and it's uncomfortable. I just spent $2800 and don't have the cash for a fancy custom job from CL or ST not that I wouldn't mind having one. I know there have to be others here that have run into this on their rifles, looking for pictures of your DIY butt pad. And no I don't have a 3D printer so that option is out.

Try a shooting bag its like a pillow for your butt. 
20210320_210802.1616292570.jpg

Hi Tracker, 

DIY cheap.

*Grind and re-contour, fill voids with epoxy, rough up the inside of the voids for a mechanical lock. These butt pads were different than yours, but just about as nasty. The bottoms were worse than the top from the factory. I usually top these with bathtub no fall down tape, or if you don't care about your clothes use skate board tape.

DIY more money.

*Kick eez modified trap pad, three different thicknesses available about $45 really no need to make it narrow like your butt plate. Cut/modify existing butt plate to get the angles you want.

1 Benchrest just cut the face off of your butt plate parallell to rifle and use the base like a spacer. 

2 Off hand, prone, kneeling, and sitting angle your cut as much as possible, fat at the top, narrow at the bottom-looking from the side. This allows the curved bottom part to fit better between your shoulder & neck in that soft pocket i.e. closer to your neck than the shoulder. You could also rotate that angle in towards your torso to help match the angle of that pocket contact looking from the top of the butt plate down. At this point you could also mount the bottom of the butt plate out away from your neck half an inch or so out of vertical, helps bring the rifle in closer to your eye. The upper and lower curves combined hopefully will give you around about 3/4" difference so it's shorter in off hand, and longer in prone. Therefore helping to keep eye relief on your scope the same. The catch is a table saw with a planer or finish blade makes the job easy. Set up example would be to use a board with the end of it the width and height of the base of your butt plate so you can practice your compound angles on that board. When you're happy with that just cut the board off square on the end and attach the base plate so there is no metal sticking in the blades path.

3 When & if you want to throw bigger money at it, I wouldn't stop short of the Europe Airguns 3 pad style butt plate.

Hope this helps, and you can PM me if you need help on this.

thumbnail-1.1616386027.jpeg
thumbnail.1616386039.jpeg

Looks pretty nice! How did you create the piece that slides into the back of the rifle? I have a K&L buttstock for an FX Crown that I was thinking of bolting to the factory buttstock (with the curved part trimmed off) used as a spacer. I’d like to add a picatinny rail on the bottom of mine too so I can use an adjustable bag rider. (https://www.adjustablebagrider.com)

The way it sits I can live with it on the bench shooting from bags, it's when I lift it to shoot offhand that the bottom area of the butt pad gouges into my shoulder, and I find that it also causes the rifle to cant left making me twist the rifle to correct for it. Have double-checked my scope mounting in a rest and all is level so I know I need a different shaped butt pad. As to shaving the original, it is a ventilated pad so it has very little solid area at the butt that could be shaped.