Looking for career change into the airgunning industry

Hello All, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but I'll give it a shot. I'm looking for a career change and would love to get into the air gun industry. I currently reside in the Bakersfield CA area. If anyone knows of, or is hiring into the field please send me info. I can consider relocation if the position is fitting. Thanks to everyone who replies and happy gunning!

I was heavily (read obsessed) with scuba a number of years back. I had a good job as a supv in a machine shop. I had burned out on skydiving and got back into scuba. I got into the first level of scuba certification where you actually supervise divers (dive master). Was at the dive shop one day and mentioned if she ever needed a part time person I would be interested. Two days later I was working one evening a week and every other Saturday. Did it for ten years, never ever saw a paycheck. All the money went for dive gear, a lot of dive gear. One day the owner asked me if I would be interested in being a partner. It never happened, thank goodness because when retirement time came it would have been a poor investment as covid hoax beat the snot out of the industry, at least in my locale.

Retail is a tough bussiness. Try it out part time if you can to see if you like it. One big downside IMO is there aren’t many airgun outlets. Hopefully there’s room for more.

I was heavily (read obsessed) with scuba a number of years back. I had a good job as a supv in a machine shop. I had burned out on skydiving and got back into scuba. I got into the first level of scuba certification where you actually supervise divers (dive master). Was at the dive shop one day and mentioned if she ever needed a part time person I would be interested. Two days later I was working one evening a week and every other Saturday. Did it for ten years, never ever saw a paycheck. All the money went for dive gear, a lot of dive gear. One day the owner asked me if I would be interested in being a partner. It never happened, thank goodness because when retirement time came it would have been a poor investment as covid hoax beat the snot out of the industry, at least in my locale.

Retail is a tough bussiness. Try it out part time if you can to see if you like it. One big downside IMO is there aren’t many airgun outlets. Hopefully there’s room for more.
COVID was no hoax, just ask all the people that died, including the two I knew personally

COVID was no hoax, just ask all the people that died, including the two I knew personally
Hello All, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but I'll give it a shot. I'm looking for a career change and would love to get into the air gun industry. I currently reside in the Bakersfield CA area. If anyone knows of, or is hiring into the field please send me info. I can consider relocation if the position is fitting. Thanks to everyone who replies and happy gunning

Hello All, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but I'll give it a shot. I'm looking for a career change and would love to get into the air gun industry. I currently reside in the Bakersfield CA area. If anyone knows of, or is hiring into the field please send me info. I can consider relocation if the position is fitting. Thanks to everyone who replies and happy gunning!
Maybe try to go to the up and coming Shot Show in Las Vegas? Years ago when I went to Kodiak Alaska looking for a fishing job, I “walked the docks” asking if anyone needed a hand. I went out on one boat working for free to get some experience and was able to use that to get a paying gig. Good luck!

Reactions: SHOMER
Maybe try to go to the up and coming Shot Show in Las Vegas? Years ago when I went to Kodiak Alaska looking for a fishing job, I “walked the docks” asking if anyone needed a hand. I went out on one boat working for free to get some experience and was able to use that to get a paying gig. Good luck!
I did the same thing one summer in Bar Harbor lobstering. Was a great experience.

Reactions: SHOMER
Plus there are many hobby guys ready to take a job for less $$ just to work in their hobby . and what about benefits ?
I work in the firearms industry which started off as a hobby for me. I got into airguns because now shooting guns just feels like work. Lesson learned. Don’t turn your hobbies into jobs.

I work in the firearms industry which started off as a hobby for me. I got into airguns because now shooting guns just feels like work. Lesson learned. Don’t turn your hobbies into jobs.
Absolutely, great advice! Trying to make money from a past time at which you've always only spent money is a challenge. As is sometimes said about sports, money ruins everything (college athletics).

Reactions: ScopeFX
I did the same thing as a mechanic/welder. Now, I hate having to work on cars, and my eyes and hands are beat up from welding and wrenching.

Reactions: ScopeFX