Looking for an answer

Hey y'all, I have long wondered why a round nose pellet leaves a splash mark with a dimple on a metal surface. Painted or not, I have seen this effect for as long as I have been shooting AIRguns.

IMG_20220114_144025643.1642207801.jpg
e

These were shot against an AR400 plate at 75 yards. The .22 Seneca pellets are not the only ones that leave this mark, my AA domes do as well. I have my theory, but want to hear from the collective mind before I spout off and show my ignorance.

Cheers

+1 to Healthservices. IMHO, the pellet collapses on impact. Near the center of mass, the vector of movement is in line perpendicular to impact. At that point the force is straight on to the steel so there is no side slip of the lead. The farther away from the center of mass, the more lateral the lead will deform. The ridge around the impact shows how the pellet pushed the paint away from the middle in all directions almost equally. It makes sense inside my head, anyway. It does make measuring center to center pretty easy 😜

Well scratch that! Re read healthservices explanation makes more sense now that I am not thinking the center is paint.

on a macro level shouldn’t craters have a similar center dimple? Or would the difference in hardness of projectile vs impact surface make it too different. A google image search yielded some but few examples of craters with center dimples